VoIP.co.uk - Ping Woody

Roger Mills

Nov 5, 2020, 1:28:39 PM11/5/20
I signed up with voip.co.uk back in 2007, and used their service with a
PAP2T for many years. During that time I was given a BT Voyager 2500V
router which has got 2 phone ports, and managed to get that working with
voip.co.uk at my holiday flat in about 2012, but never really used it in
anger. I hadn't used the PAP2T for several years either, and that has
now died.

Fast forward to 2020. I'm about to cancel the landline and ADSL BB at my
holiday flat, and have installed a D-Link 4G router which has 4 ethernet
ports. I want to use the Voyager just as an ATA, not as a router - but I
can't now get it to work with Voip. I've set it up in Bridge Mode, and
computers connected to it get their IP addresses and internet access
from the main router with no problem.

Can anyone confirm that the domestic service provided by voip.co.uk (now
Firstcom) is still live? I'm aware that they're now majoring on business
users, and haven't accepted any new domestic customers for many years.
But it appears to be live in that when I dial my voip numbers I hear my
outgoing message on their voicemail service - even though they no longer
support basic voicemail. Also, I can still log on to their dashboard and
see my SIP accounts.

But I can't get the Voyager to register with them, so there's no
dialtone and I can't make and receive calls.

I have configured the Voyager with the information which used to be in
the PAP2T - which is quite a challenge because many of its parameters
are not easy to get at. The web interface is very limited. But there's a
Telnet interface which is a lot better - but that doesn't reach every
parameter. Then you can backup its config to an .XML file, edit that and
then restore from it. I'm very happy to share the config info with
anyone who can tell me where I'm going wrong.

I know that Woody has/had a voip.co.uk account - hence the Ping.

Help!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Woody

Nov 5, 2020, 4:24:26 PM11/5/20
Confirm voip.co.uk is still very much up and working.

I am not familiar with the Voyager (being as I'm on VM) but the
immediate thing that springs to mind is does it allow you to set the SIP
port number and the RTP port number range? Without these it will not
work at all as it cannot register.

Second I would be inclined to fix the IP address of the Voyager to be
sure it always powers up in the same way. Indeed I use fixed IP
addresses throughout my system - makes life much easier as you know
where things are!

My suggestion for the easiest solution would be to buy another PAP2T (or
Linksys/Cisco SPA2102/SPA122) off eBay - there's several on there at
present with PSU for a tenner or thereabouts. (I'm puzzled why you say
your old one has died? More likely the PSU - known for it!) Take care
not to buy a knock-off from China. Neither should you get a Vonage ATA
unless you know that it is unlocked, and the same goes for any ATA
designed to work on a non-UK system - there's one on eBay for France. (I
have two unlocked Vonages here un-needed and not in use...)

The other option is to buy a SIP phone off e-Bay, then you don't need an
ATA at all, it plugs directly into your router. I have a Panasonic
KX-UT123 here at the side of me that I bought new off eBay and is not in
use - in fact it has probably only ever had about three calls made on it
as it was bought for a specific purpose to resolve an issue with an
elderly relative who has since died. I may be open to offers......

--
Woody

Roger Mills

Nov 5, 2020, 6:35:52 PM11/5/20
Many thanks for your swift reply. The Voyager certainly allows you to
set the SIP port but, unlike the PAP2T, I can't see anything about RTP
port range. However, it HAS worked (8 or 10 years ago) without that.

I'm trying to remember what happened to the PAP2T. I know it wasn't
working. It is inconceivable that I didn't check the power supply.
Anyway, I didn't need VoIP at the time, so I binned it.

Another PAP2T would probably be the best option if I can't make the
Voyager work. The majority of those on Ebay are Chinese knock-offs.
There are a few used ones being auctioned by the same seller, but he/she
indicates that they may be temperimental, having been used in an
Asterisk system.

I might consider a SIP phone, but really want just an ATA so that I can
use some existing cordless phones with it.

Will your Vonage ATAs work with voip.co.uk? Are you disposing of either
of them?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Woody

Nov 6, 2020, 7:59:51 AM11/6/20
I've had the Vonage working on Sipgate so I see no reason why they
shouldn't work on Voip. You will need a 12V 2A DIN plug PSU for it. If
you are interested mail me off net - my address is valid.

The PAP2T's that I saw on eBay yesterday were all Linksys or Cisco
branded - the Chinese knock-offs usually have the colours but no
printing. At least one of those that I would say was genuine has a photo
of the label (SPA122 although advertised as SPA112) that 'looks' right.

If you are going to use the VoIP line with DECT phones look see if you
can find a Gigaset GO-Box 100 which is a DECT terminal that will work
with a landline or VoIP - or both. It has three separate answering
machines built in!

Woody

Roger Mills

Nov 6, 2020, 8:41:24 AM11/6/20
Actually, I'm wondering about using Sipgate basic rather than voip.co.uk
since they seem better orientated towards domestic users. In that case,
your Vonage device should work ok.

Alternatively, is there any possibility that the Voyager would work
better with Sipgate than with voip.co.uk?

--
Cheers,
Roger

Woody

Nov 6, 2020, 8:47:28 AM11/6/20
The advantage of Sipgate is that once you have registered - you get an
incoming number without need to add credit or give credit card details -
you can access their support pages and there is considerable info on how
to set up various phones and ATAs etc. I would say on balance that the
audio on Voip is marginally better, but if you have any issues they can
be slow to respond.

As I said previously I'm not familiar with the Voyager so I couldn't
comment, but as already observed if you have nowhere to set up the RTP
range you may still have a problem.

Woody

Roger Mills

Nov 11, 2020, 6:55:14 AM11/11/20
On 06/11/2020 13:47, Woody wrote:

> The advantage of Sipgate is that once you have registered - you get an
> incoming number without need to add credit or give credit card details -
> you can access their support pages and there is considerable info on how
> to set up various phones and ATAs etc. I would say on balance that the
> audio on Voip is marginally better, but if you have any issues they can
> be slow to respond.
>
> Woody

I have given up trying to use the Voyager, and have now acquired a
Linksys PAP2T from Ebay. I've configured one line for Voip.co.uk and the
other for Sipgate - and both appear to be working although I've not
really tested them in anger. [I have not yet received Sipgate's address
verification code - without which I can't make or receive calls].

Are there any Gottchas associated with using the two lines on a PAP2T
for two different VoIP providers. The only possible conflict I can see
is that it is only possible to specify a single range of RTP ports. Is
this likely to matter?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Woody

Nov 11, 2020, 7:23:04 AM11/11/20
I would think it depends upon which ports you use as you can define
which outgoing port to use per provider but the RTP ports overlapping
could confuse the system. Maybe time to do some Googling?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by Address Verification Code? I was
never asked to confirm my address although I chose to enter it myself at
a later time but I could still receive calls from minute 1. If you have
your account number (possibly 9 characters of which the last two should
be e0) and password you can program your ATA and should be able to
receive calls, and if you have added credit you can make outgoing unless
it is to another Sipgate number. (Sipgate to Sipgate - free - can be
dialled using the landline number OR by just dialling the first seven
digits of the account number.)

Woody

Graham.

Dec 29, 2020, 4:28:59 PM12/29/20
ystem. Maybe time to do some Googling?

>I'm not quite sure what you mean by Address Verification Code? I was
>never asked to confirm my address although I chose to enter it myself at
>a later time but I could still receive calls from minute 1. If you have
>your account number (possibly 9 characters of which the last two should
>be e0) and password you can program your ATA and should be able to
>receive calls, and if you have added credit you can make outgoing unless
>it is to another Sipgate number. (Sipgate to Sipgate - free - can be
>dialled using the landline number OR by just dialling the first seven
>digits of the account number.)
>
>Woody

Sipgate became very anal about requiring a genuine house address for
new accounts for 999 purposes about three years ago, and they send out
varification codes by snail mail. It's a pitty because you can no
longer use them in the ad hoc way that we had becomed accustomed.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Woody

Dec 29, 2020, 6:32:15 PM12/29/20
Ah, that explains it as every account I have set up - two for us here
and three for others elsewhere - were done probably 5 or more years ago.