BT Digital Voice and extensions

Norman Wells

Oct 11, 2021, 4:11:10 AM10/11/21
I've been told that BT are going to switch me over very soon to Digital
Voice, which means that my landline phone will in future only work over
the internet. To make this work, I have to unplug the phone and plug it
into a special bright green socket on the back of the BT Hub 2 router,
of which there is only one.

Has anyone else had this and dealt with it? If so, can you tell me
please how it works (or doesn't) with extension phones?

Nikolaj Lazic

Oct 11, 2021, 4:27:09 AM10/11/21
Dana Mon, 11 Oct 2021 09:11:08 +0100, Norman Wells <h...@unseen.ac.am> napis'o:
Disconnect your "home telephone network" from old BT cable.
You have to locate the socket that is the "main" entry point.
Get a new phone cable with plug on one side (or cut of one end).
Connect it to the green socket of BT hub.
Loosen the socket (closest to the BT Hub) of your wall and take it out.
Connect two middle wires from the cable to your socket, on the back.
And all your phones will be connected to the BT hub as these are connected
in parallel.

In case you have extensions that are controlled from a "switching" phone,
than you have to connect it to the BU hub and everything should work.

Everything connected to the green socket is analog. It gets converted
to Digital Voice inside BT Hub.

Norman Wells

Oct 11, 2021, 7:39:19 AM10/11/21
It's slightly complicated in that the BT Hub2 is currently connected to
an extension socket, and I'd like it to stay there rather than move it
to near the master socket. I'd also rather not fiddle around with the
actual wiring if possible.

Would I be right in thinking that, if I attach a doubler to the Hub and
could get both phones connected to that, everything should work?

Also, will being ported over to this new digital system make all the
little 'frequency filter' boxes (if that's the right name for them)
redundant? They're the ones that differentiate voice calls from
internet connections at present.

Theo

Oct 11, 2021, 7:51:18 AM10/11/21
Norman Wells <h...@unseen.ac.am> wrote:
> It's slightly complicated in that the BT Hub2 is currently connected to
> an extension socket, and I'd like it to stay there rather than move it
> to near the master socket. I'd also rather not fiddle around with the
> actual wiring if possible.
>
> Would I be right in thinking that, if I attach a doubler to the Hub and
> could get both phones connected to that, everything should work?

Yes, if all your phones are hung off the router you don't need to touch the
extension wiring. Your extension wiring becomes for DSL only.

(You might get a minor speed bump if you disconnected any branches of the
extensions that were no longer in use)

> Also, will being ported over to this new digital system make all the
> little 'frequency filter' boxes (if that's the right name for them)
> redundant? They're the ones that differentiate voice calls from
> internet connections at present.

It should, since there are no phones present on the line any more that need
the DSL filtering out.

Theo

Woody

Oct 11, 2021, 8:32:15 AM10/11/21
For the record, BT digital voice will likely have no association with
the Interweb. It will probably be stripped off the data stream at the
exchange and routed into the existing BT national digital infrastructure.

Of course if you prefer to use a different voice service provider, if
they do not have the digital equivalent of LLU in the exchange then
there is no option but for it to run through the net at least until it
gets to the providers interface.

Nikolaj Lazic

Oct 11, 2021, 9:03:15 AM10/11/21
Dana Mon, 11 Oct 2021 12:39:18 +0100, Norman Wells <h...@unseen.ac.am> napis'o:
As I wrote, you only have to disnonnect from the old wiring. And that
was probably already done by the BT technitian.
So... the only thing you have to do is (if you do not need the socket
near the HUB):
use the cable to connect the socket on the wall with the green socket
on the HUB.

That's it.

In case you need the socket on the wall then you have to open the socket
and connect to the wires... that way you will get funcional socket
for your phone.

You already have parallely connected wires for all the sockets in the house.

> Would I be right in thinking that, if I attach a doubler to the Hub and
> could get both phones connected to that, everything should work?

Yes.
You can connect doubler to the green socket and then one connection to the
phone and other one to the wall socket to connect to your parallel
telephone home network.

> Also, will being ported over to this new digital system make all the
> little 'frequency filter' boxes (if that's the right name for them)
> redundant? They're the ones that differentiate voice calls from
> internet connections at present.

Yes. No need.