Are Time Delays Typical on VOIP?

Richmond

Jan 12, 2020, 4:00:43 PM1/12/20
When I have used VOIP, or skype etc I've found time delays of a second
or so. These cause people to interrupt each other. They also occur on
mobiles to some extent. I think the landline will never die. Is there
VOIP without delays? does it require a dedicated network?

Bob Eager

Jan 12, 2020, 5:00:13 PM1/12/20
We are all VoIP here, and I can't say I have ever noticed that.

Woody

Jan 12, 2020, 5:09:36 PM1/12/20
Depends who your VoIP provider is and where they are based. Are they UK
and UK based? With VoIP they could be anywhere - the USA for instance -
which could cause a delay.
I have three VoIP numbers from two providers and have called the UK from
France and Germany as well as UK-UK numbers and have never had any delay.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Richmond

Jan 12, 2020, 7:46:55 PM1/12/20
Woody <harro...@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Depends who your VoIP provider is and where they are based. Are they UK and UK
> based? With VoIP they could be anywhere - the USA for instance -
> which could cause a delay.
> I have three VoIP numbers from two providers and have called the UK from
> France and Germany as well as UK-UK numbers and have never had any delay.

Which providers? I used to use sipgate but got echoes too, and never
managed to resolve it.

www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Jan 14, 2020, 3:51:13 AM1/14/20
On 12/01/2020 21:00, Richmond wrote:
I'd suggest ISP was the issue not VoIP.

Been using voip for over 15 years+ at home and for business incoming lines.

Only problems I ever had was when Blueyonder (cable) switched to
Virginmedia and the service became unusable.
Been on ADSL at work ever since which is stuck on 1Mbps upstream 20Mbps
Down due to being Exchange line, Fibre to the cabinet at home.
Never have any problems. Not even phoning Home<->Work directly over vpn.

Also set up VOIP running through a Vodaphone 2GB broadband dongle to
give my mother a phoneline in the carehome. Occasionally it gets 1-way
audio but most of the time it's perfect. Never any delays etc.

Woody

Jan 14, 2020, 8:13:58 AM1/14/20
Don't see why BY change to VM should cause an issue unless there was an
addressing change that you had missed. I've been using VoIP on VM (ex
NTL) for well over a decade and never had any problems.

www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Jan 14, 2020, 9:49:42 AM1/14/20
On 14/01/2020 13:13, Woody wrote:

> Don't see why BY change to VM should cause an issue unless there was an
> addressing change that you had missed. I've been using VoIP on VM (ex
> NTL) for well over a decade and never had any problems.

No Idea but the service was atrocious.
Traffic management/shaping, over saturation of provisions to turn a
profit? who knows.
Never any problems from the days of 1Mbps telewest cable right though BY
but Virgin really bad drop outs etc.
Still happier to be on ADSL (Zen internet) than VM Cable.

R. Mark Clayton

Jan 14, 2020, 2:46:20 PM1/14/20
I use Voipfone and have never noticed latency issues. It may happen on cheap second rate providers, particularly if the traffic is somehow routed through third countries.

This used to be very noticeable decades ago on satellite connect calls to the USA, where there was nearly half a second (each way), plus the circuit would be switched automatically between half duplex in either direction. It got muddled when both ends tried to speak.

I have very occasionally notice short latency on mobile calls, but never anything severe.

Fox

Jan 16, 2020, 10:54:14 AM1/16/20
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 11:46:19 -0800 (PST), "R. Mark Clayton"
<notya...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I use Voipfone and have never noticed latency issues. It may happen on cheap second rate providers, particularly if the traffic is somehow routed through third countries.

Same here. Voipfone works without noticable latency but with Delmont
connection it is apparent. Both connections via Siemens A580ip.

MissRiaElaine

Jan 17, 2020, 8:38:55 PM1/17/20
I've been using Sipgate since they first started up in the UK and have
never had a problem with latency. There were a few server issues in the
early days when they were running on the same systems as Germany, but
once they set up a separate server system for the UK it's been fine.

The only thing they've messed with that I'm not keen on is the layout of
the website/control panel, but I don't use that often.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Jan 19, 2020, 3:25:26 PM1/19/20
On Sunday, 12 January 2020 21:00:43 UTC, Richmond wrote:
I have VoIP with (mostly) no delays. I would say the quality is usually as good as a good landline, and far better than a mobile (which I can hardly bear to use).

Occasionally thi ngs go a bi t clu nky but a reboot of phone or router so things re-register usually gets round that.

Owain

Graham.

Jan 23, 2020, 7:19:25 AM1/23/20

> The only thing they've messed with that I'm not keen on is the layout of
> the website/control panel, but I don't use that often.
>

> --
> Ria in Aberdeen

The "Fisher-Price" graphical interface strikes again.
--
__
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Graham.

Jan 23, 2020, 7:24:36 AM1/23/20
spuorg...@gowanhill.com Wrote in message:
Since our kitchen refit when the dodgy hob that kept tripping the
RCD was replaced, my phone system hasn't had a reeboot.
Perhaps I should treat it to one?

Graham.

Jan 27, 2020, 8:18:37 AM1/27/20
The only time I notice it is when bridging two or more legs of a call.
Doesn't NAT tend to prevent directmedia working?

Also if one or both of the endpoints are mobiles, that adds to the
cumulative delay.

Richmond

Jan 30, 2020, 2:13:05 AM1/30/20
Peter <occassional...@nospam.co.uk> writes:

> The VOIP we have (with Andrews & Arnold) is crystal clear and with no
> visible delay. Admittedly we are on FTTP (not FTTC) and I had that
> done before we dropped the ISDN2 and the 22 year old Siemens PBX :) We
> waited 1.5 years for FTTP, most of which was BT waiting for a
> permission to dig up the road.

I wondered if it was about my internet connection. I have copper wires
going all the way to the exchange, which is about 1KM away. It's about
13Mbps download and 0.9Mbps upload, according to speedtest.net. I would
have thought it was plenty for a telephone call. (There is a ping speed
of 78 milliseconds on speedtest.net. Maybe that is the delay?).

Or maybe I should not use wifi or homeplugs?

David Woolley

Jul 11, 2020, 11:39:45 AM7/11/20
On 12/01/2020 21:00, Richmond wrote:
Those delays are excessive, but VoIP does have more intrinsic delays
than older systems. There is a fundamental delay of 20ms, in both
directions, just to assemble the packets.

That's enough to make echo obvious enough to require aggressive
cancellation, but not enough to otherwise cause problems on good networks.