Deskphone for VOIP + PSTN?

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Allan

unread,
Jul 25, 2021, 4:57:12 PM7/25/21
to
Looking for a deskphone that will receive and make calls over VOIP and
PSTN/POTS for a SOHO.
Got various bits of kit like a POTS analogue deskphone, and an ATA for
VOIP (sipgate), and they're all showing their age, so time to renew and
rationalise.

A (corded) headset and speakerphone facility would be useful.
Googling suggests Poly (formerly Plantronics) or Grandstream are respected.
The choice is daunting.

Can anyone recommend a model, or a brand, or a good supplier/website to
filter the possibilities?
TIA

Roger Mills

unread,
Jul 26, 2021, 7:20:46 AM7/26/21
to
Dunno, but you could use a 2-line POTS phone with a VoIP ATA connected
to one line. You can pick up a Linksys PAP2 ATA for about a tenner on Ebay.

--
Cheers,
Roger

Theo

unread,
Jul 26, 2021, 7:42:18 AM7/26/21
to
In uk.telecom.voip Roger Mills <watt....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dunno, but you could use a 2-line POTS phone with a VoIP ATA connected
> to one line. You can pick up a Linksys PAP2 ATA for about a tenner on Ebay.

If you're going two boxes, Gigaset have a desk DECT phone:
https://www.gigaset.com/pro/hq_en/gigaset-maxwell-c/
that will pair with their IP gateway box over DECT (N300 does SIP and PSTN).
That has much better integration than a POTS ATA, and the option of extra
portable DECT handsets. (I haven't tried this model myself)

I think the OP wants an all in one though, which is more in the realm of the
companies mentioned in the OP.

Theo

notya...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 27, 2021, 6:23:05 AM7/27/21
to
On Monday, 26 July 2021 at 12:42:18 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
> In uk.telecom.voip Roger Mills <watt....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dunno, but you could use a 2-line POTS phone with a VoIP ATA connected
> > to one line. You can pick up a Linksys PAP2 ATA for about a tenner on Ebay.
> If you're going two boxes, Gigaset have a desk DECT phone:
> https://www.gigaset.com/pro/hq_en/gigaset-maxwell-c/
> that will pair with their IP gateway box over DECT (N300 does SIP and PSTN).

C460IP 1 SIP & PSTN, C475IP 2 SIP & PSTN, N300 3 SIP & PSTN, N510 4 SIP.

> That has much better integration than a POTS ATA, and the option of extra
> portable DECT handsets. (I haven't tried this model myself)

Tried all the others and they work fine. All but the C460IP support six SIP accounts.

>
> I think the OP wants an all in one though, which is more in the realm of the
> companies mentioned in the OP.
>
> Theo

Several of the Siemens Gigaset handsets take a 2.5mm jack headset (formerly common for mobiles and £1), as do my old BT Converse 2025 phones, in fact I might have a spare one if you care to make an offer.

Pancho

unread,
Jul 27, 2021, 8:12:24 PM7/27/21
to
On 27/07/2021 11:56, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2021 03:23:04 -0700 (PDT), "notya...@gmail.com"
> <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Several of the Siemens Gigaset handsets take a 2.5mm jack headset (formerly common for mobiles and £1), as do my old BT Converse 2025 phones, in fact I might have a spare one if you care to make an offer.
>
> I tried to use the jacks in C610H handsets and found serious problems. The
> jack contacts appear not to be gold plated, or inadequately so, with the
> result that any connections were flakey. And also the jacks themselves are
> deeply recessed into the handsets in such a way that the plugs on many of
> the headsets could not be completely inserted. In theory the jacks are a
> nice feature but in practise I ended up tipping all of the Plantronics and
> other brands of headsets I bought for that purpose into the waste bin.
>

I went down that path and also had problems with the jacks. Eventually I
bought a BlueTooth headset that pairs with the Gigaset (510H) handset.

Something like this (looks a bit newer than my version):

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanfant-Bluetooth-Microphone-Canceling-Wireless/dp/B086CBT82Q/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=Bluetooth+Wireless+Headset&qid=1627430562&sr=8-15>

I highly recommend it.

I did try other BlueTooth headsets but the boom mic seems to make me
much clearer to people at the other end.

notya...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 29, 2021, 8:48:39 AM7/29/21
to
Not had this problem with C46, c47H or other models apart from the slight recess of the socket; which is not a problem with a Plantronics headset.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages