iOS SIP apps

Jon Schneider

Dec 6, 2022, 5:01:07 AM12/6/22
Having just changed camps (in the phone OS sense) I am having great
trouble finding a SIP app that works properly. By properly I mean an
incoming call make the phone ring when it's otherwise dark and locked.

It is clear that several of the existing apps _used_ to work but don't
now since iOS stopped more background activity (as indeed has Android).

So what SIP apps do folk know work with the _current_ state of iOS ?
Preferably free though I don't mind paying (once) for something that works.

Cheers,

Jon

David Woolley

Dec 6, 2022, 5:26:54 AM12/6/22
On 06/12/2022 10:01, Jon Schneider wrote:
> Having just changed camps (in the phone OS sense) I am having great
> trouble finding a SIP app that works properly. By properly I mean an
> incoming call make the phone ring when it's otherwise dark and locked.

My understanding is that no pure SIP app can work this way on Apple.
You need to have a telephony provide that can also interact with a push
server, outside of the SIP protocol.

Jon Schneider

Dec 6, 2022, 10:37:05 AM12/6/22
On 06/12/2022 10:26, David Woolley wrote:
> My understanding is that no pure SIP app can work this way on Apple. You
> need to have a telephony provide that can also interact with a push
> server, outside of the SIP protocol.

Clearly some of these apps did work not so long ago and I even had my
phone ring once or twice on incoming calls a few weeks ago. Do you have
some references I can read before I continue pulling my hair out ?

Jon

Theo

Dec 6, 2022, 2:16:37 PM12/6/22
The above is my understanding: apps aren't allowed to run in the background
unless they're doing one of some limited things (playing music, satnav). So
you need a third party service to send the phone a push notification to wake
up the app - but that means you can't have an entirely local SIP app.

'Termius', an SSH client, works around this by having an option to record
location 'so you remember where you opened an SSH connection from', which
just so happens to keep the SSH session up in the background.
I suppose a SIP client could do the same.

According to this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VOIP/comments/nh9s26/ios_sip_softphone/
Acrobits or Groundwire are suggested as (paid) SIP apps that support push
notifications.

https://wiki.linphone.org/xwiki/wiki/public/view/Lib/Features/Push%20notifications/IOS%20push%20notification%20management/
has the gory details. I have this problem with the Linphone app, so
whatever they might have done in their app, it doesn't work for me.

Theo

notya...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2022, 6:37:40 AM12/7/22
Dunno about iOS, but under Android SIP app's also fall asleep if run in the background. OTOH many phones allow you to configure SIP settings in the phone natively and this does not fall asleep.

David Woolley

Dec 7, 2022, 7:25:15 AM12/7/22
On 07/12/2022 11:37, notya...@gmail.com wrote:
> Dunno about iOS, but under Android SIP app's also fall asleep if run in the background. OTOH many phones allow you to configure SIP settings in the phone natively and this does not fall asleep.

Android allows you to mark apps as to never sleep, but my understanding
is that Apple don't allow you to do that.

Jon Schneider

Dec 8, 2022, 10:04:20 AM12/8/22
On 06/12/2022 19:16, Theo wrote:
> https://wiki.linphone.org/xwiki/wiki/public/view/Lib/Features/Push%20notifications/IOS%20push%20notification%20management/
> I have this problem with the Linphone app

Just updated to version yesterday so we'll see if they've improved things.

Jon