Ping Doro smartphone users / admins.

T i m

Dec 23, 2022, 6:12:42 PM12/23/22

The Mrs seems to be struggling with her old Doro flip phone now,
possibly because she also has a Samsung Galaxy S8 (that was given to us
with a faulty microphone or something) and she often tries to poke the
Doro display thinking it's a touch screen ... and not being able to
mentally 'link' the onscreen prompts (like Menu / Back) to the top L/R
buttons. I say 'press the button on the top right' (for 'Back' at that
moment) and she just stares at it all, obviously lost. ;-(

However, she can seem to open Whatsapp on the S8 (and my S7 if I'm
driving) and also turn the lounge light on using the Home Assistant
(Home Automation) app, suggesting those things must still appear
familiar / intuitive to her? So being able to run the HA app would be
good on a more suitable phone, or to be able to access HA via a browser
shortcut on the desktop somewhere.

So I notice Doro do a smartphone range where the 8100 looks affordable
but I just thought I'd check here in case there were any 'gotchas'
please. Is it likely to be any easier / simpler to use than any or more
basic smartphone?

Like when I replaced her Topfield STB and TV capture card on her PC
combo - for a network TV server (removing the extra box and remote) I'm
hoping that combining the simplicity of the Doro UI on a smartphone
might have the same effect for her, just one easy thing to use.

So specific questions if I may ... what is the touch screen data entry
like? She seems to have trouble using her finger on any touch screen so
ends up using a dobber and if she uses the phone as a real phone, would
she be able to use it without (say to call me in an emergency, the rare
time I still leave her on her own)?

What sort or RW battery life should we expect, mainly just on standby?

I think sending Texts would be much easier on a smartphone, rather than
all that multi-key pressing etc.

Should we be able to just take the O2 3-2-1 PAYG SIM out of her old Doro
and use it in 8100. I don't think she would need mobile Data and could
use WiFi at home or at family locations, or the Hotspot on mine if we
are out and about etc. (I think we put £10 on her old Doro about 3 years
ago and she's still got most of it left). ;-)

Or anything else you can think of please?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. It looks like the 8100 can run the Teamviewer host app and that
would have been good for my Mum, had she not been locked into Apple with
her iPad / iPhone / iCloud.