N95 8GB does not power up...

Jake

Jan 26, 2011, 7:32:06 PM1/26/11
Hi, I have a N95 8GB that doesnt seem to be powering up. The phone has not
been water damaged or subjected to excessive shock.

Problem started when I plugged the phone in while it was showing low
battery, but it did not charge, hence my diagnosis was that there was
something wrong with the charger. When I tested the charger on an
alternative Nokia phone, it charged the other phone fine. So not the
charger.

So I figured it would be the charging port, since when the phone is switched
off and charging, the charging bars appear on the screen, but the screen was
blank. Nope, I bought an external charger for the battery, and charged it
that way.

A green light appeared on the charger indicating battery full, still no joy.
Tested the battery with a multimeter and it seems fully charged. May even
have been charged in the phone by the original mains charger without me
realising as there was no display.

Have had the phone open and dismantled and there doesn't seem to be any
other obvious component damage. Removal of the battery and reinsertion
causes the flash to flicker briefly... No other buttons light up and there
is nothing on the screen.

Any ideas for a diagnosis?

If I send the phone off for a repair - which is now out of warranty, the
service centre will likely just swap out the mainboard, and my primary
reason for wanting to power up the phone is to retrieve contacts and other
data stored within, and a board swap would likely cause all this data to be
lost. I take it is not possible to back up the phone in its powered down
state?.

Invisible Man

Jan 27, 2011, 2:17:16 PM1/27/11
Sorry, no ideas that aren't too late for you. I had an N95 but taking
the battery out and putting it back usually solved it. Then I had an N86
which I had to debrand to get stable software on to.

I always sync phone to PC and PC to another PC and an external hard
drive. Important stuff gets backed up to my ISPs free arrangement.

I got a new PC with windows 7 64 bit. Nokia software doesn't like that
and Nokia sent me a replacement N86 by return when it got bricked doing
a routine software update.

I now have an HTC Desire. Miss Nokia's superior sat nav but don't miss
all the screwed up contacts, tasks etc I used to get trying to sync the N86.

I do seem to recall there was some combination of keys you could hold
down to do a hard reset or something as it booted but it would probably
wipe your personal settings anyway.

Theo Markettos

Jan 27, 2011, 5:11:51 PM1/27/11
Jake <Ja...@jakesplaice.com> wrote:
> If I send the phone off for a repair - which is now out of warranty, the
> service centre will likely just swap out the mainboard, and my primary
> reason for wanting to power up the phone is to retrieve contacts and other
> data stored within, and a board swap would likely cause all this data to be
> lost. I take it is not possible to back up the phone in its powered down
> state?.

I don't know the N95, but some Nokia phones have contacts underneath the
battery. I'm not sure if they're FBus/MBus or JTAG nowadays, but they're
used for firmware flashing (eg for network personalisation). If you go to a
shop with the right cable, they might be able to copy the flash image to
another phone to retrieve your contacts. Depends whether there's enough of
the phone able to boot to talk to the flash port.

If the N95 is old enough to have a Pop Port rather than a mini/micro USB
connector, then you can sometimes access the FBus/MBus that way. FBus/MBus
are voltage-shifted RS232, so you just need a low voltage serial to USB
cable wired to the right pins (for example, the PC connection cable for a
6820 uses the FBus pins). Or a voltage converter wired to an old school
serial port - this saves hassles trying to get the (usually nasty)
serial-USB interface to work.

Theo

Jake

Jan 27, 2011, 9:59:59 PM1/27/11

"Theo Markettos" <theom...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message

> Jake <Ja...@jakesplaice.com> wrote:
>> If I send the phone off for a repair - which is now out of warranty, the
>> service centre will likely just swap out the mainboard, and my primary
>> reason for wanting to power up the phone is to retrieve contacts and
>> other
>> data stored within, and a board swap would likely cause all this data to
>> be
>> lost. I take it is not possible to back up the phone in its powered down
>> state?.
>
> I don't know the N95, but some Nokia phones have contacts underneath the
> battery. I'm not sure if they're FBus/MBus or JTAG nowadays, but they're
> used for firmware flashing (eg for network personalisation). If you go to
> shop with the right cable, they might be able to copy the flash image to
> another phone to retrieve your contacts. Depends whether there's enough
> of
> the phone able to boot to talk to the flash port.

The N95 8GB has the contacts under the battery as you describe, but the
phone is completely dead, no lights, nothing. Surely there would need to be
some power coming from the battery? Or would the power come from the
connected device?

There is no response from the PC suite when it is plugged in via USB.

This has given me something to think about though...

Theo Markettos

Jan 28, 2011, 8:03:17 AM1/28/11
Jake <Ja...@jakesplaice.com> wrote:
> The N95 8GB has the contacts under the battery as you describe, but the
> phone is completely dead, no lights, nothing. Surely there would need to be
> some power coming from the battery? Or would the power come from the
> connected device?

The power comes from the connected device. You can't fit the battery and
the FBus cable at the same time.

http://www.cpkb.org/wiki/Nokia_N95_8GB_pinout
gives the pinout (click the picture)

However that doesn't make it clear if power comes from other than VPP
(programming voltage). I don't know if it uses the battery terminals at
all. I also don't know whether the phone is 'alive' when it's being
flashed, or whether there's a small supervisor/microcontroller somewhere
taking care of flashing and the rest of the phone is off.

Looks like the cables are pretty cheap:
http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/cable_picker/5006_Nokia_N95_8GB_7_pin_FBus_Service_Cable.html

(you'd then need to make an RJ45 to serial port adaptor/voltage shifter, but
it's easier than trying to connect all those terminals by hand. Probably
still better to take it to a shop though)

Theo

lamy

Jan 30, 2011, 3:58:04 AM1/30/11

you may visit some mobile sites...........

--
lamy