Current recommendations for a SIM for a new Samsung tablet?

David

Feb 19, 2022, 9:08:45 AM2/19/22
I've just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 with SIM card slot.

I don't need a SIM card immediately but would like to get one fairly soon.

Is there a current good deal on PAYG where you don't have to top up every
month?

I'm likely to need a reasonable amount of data when on holiday or if using
it for mapping/navigation.

Thanks

Dave R

Tweed

Feb 19, 2022, 9:40:06 AM2/19/22
David <wib...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I've just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 with SIM card slot.
>
> I don't need a SIM card immediately but would like to get one fairly soon.
>
> Is there a current good deal on PAYG where you don't have to top up every
> month?
>
> I'm likely to need a reasonable amount of data when on holiday or if using
> it for mapping/navigation.
>
> Thanks
>

> Dave R

It’s an interesting question. I’m in a similar position with an iPad. Only
rarely will I need the data, but when I do it might be reasonably
significant. PAYG data is increasingly being made expensive, or being
turned into something where you need to keep topping up monthly which is in
effect a contract with zero notice period.

I’ve come to the conclusion that getting a decent data contract on my phone
and hot spotting off that is the better way forwards.

David

Feb 19, 2022, 9:46:55 AM2/19/22
Interesting.

At the moment I'm trying to avoid hot spotting and have the tablet
independent, and there do seem to be some deals, but which one?

Currently grinding my way through Money Saving Expert and trying to decide
if a monthly contract will work out better over the year than PAYG.

Cheers

Tweed

Feb 19, 2022, 9:58:47 AM2/19/22
If your holidays include being abroad you have to add the complications of
roaming into your choices. Do report back on your conclusions - I’d be
interested.

David Woolley

Feb 19, 2022, 10:25:49 AM2/19/22
On 19/02/2022 14:08, David wrote:
> Is there a current good deal on PAYG where you don't have to top up every
> month?

I think you would need to look for a hybrid, e.g. giffgaff, where you
can buy time limited bundles (typically one month), which are a lot
cheaper than pure pay as you go unless you are an extremely light user,
or don't use data and only take inbound calls.

With pure PAYG, you should expect to have to make a chargeable call, or
top up, at least every six months, otherwise Ofcom expect them to
release your phone number.

Low user pure PAYG is going to be loss making for a provider, so they
won't really want that sort of customer.

David Wade

Feb 19, 2022, 1:19:22 PM2/19/22
On 19/02/2022 14:08, David wrote:
> I've just bought a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 with SIM card slot.
>
> I don't need a SIM card immediately but would like to get one fairly soon.
>
> Is there a current good deal on PAYG where you don't have to top up every
> month?
>
> I'm likely to need a reasonable amount of data when on holiday or if using
> it for mapping/navigation.
>
> Thanks
>

> Dave R

For situations like this I usually suggest GiffGaff. So you don't need
to top-up and they send you an e-mail if your account is about to expire.

You can then by a goody bag for data. Just think of it as buying 30 days
of data with a cap of the amount you use.

If you run out just buy more.

Dave

Woody

Feb 19, 2022, 4:03:31 PM2/19/22
Although the OP says he doesn't want a SIM that requires monthly top-up
the advantage of GG is that you run your account on line all by yourself.

You need to establish a £10 credit at the start but you can set a low
limit for the account to top itself up, typically £3, and by whatever
amount you instruct.

If going on holiday - UK or abroad - then buy a 'Goodybag' which (apart
from the cheapest) will give you unlimited calls and texts and whatever
amount of data you have selected. This can be set to auto-refill every
month. They will send you a text before it tops up, and an e-mail to
review your usage that month usually two days before a new Goodybag is
purchased to give you time to change the amount or switch the
auto-refill off. They then send you a text when the new Goodybag is active.

The good bit is that, as I said above, you can change any of these
selections at any time just by going into your account from anywhere.

Also remember that when abroad (well, France anyway) you can usually get
on wi-fi free of charge at the local tourist information office or
outside it if it is closed. In many small places there is wi-fi
available in the vacinity of the Marie's (mayor's) office BUT, unlike
the TI access which is not restricted, the facility is usually provided
by Orange France (i.e. France Telecom) and they block anything and
everything except browsing. So if you use webmail no problem, but if you
use a mail client such as Thunderbird you will be blocked.

notya...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2022, 5:51:59 AM2/21/22
https://3g.co.uk/three-data-reward-sim although watch out for any credit being devalued by up to 80% after you buy.