Caller busy not working

Chris

Sep 9, 2021, 4:13:15 AM9/9/21
This morning my wife and I were trying to contact our GP - there's huge
demand so you're best off both ringing to try to get through[1] - and I
noticed that my wife was not getting the caller busy sound.

We both have iphones me, XR, her, 12 mini and when I called, I got the
caller busy sound and the screen would give me the options to either
'Cancel' or 'Call back'. That makes really easy to rapidly retry.
However, my wife got a different sound and it just dropped her back to
the contacts list. Then she hits the contact number again to try again.
Not so efficient.

We're on different (UK) networks; me, IDmobile (Three MVNO) and, her
plusnet (EE MVNO).

This is a normal UK local number.

Anyone had this? Is it a phone issue or network issue?

[1] I absolutely see that that sort of behaviour causes the demand
problem in the first place.

Brian Gregory

Sep 18, 2021, 7:26:49 PM9/18/21
You are the caller. You mean "busy", "line busy" or "engaged".

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Chris

Sep 19, 2021, 8:20:05 AM9/19/21
Brian Gregory <void-invalid...@email.invalid> wrote:
> You are the caller. You mean "busy", "line busy" or "engaged".

You're right. Still not sure what's going on here, though.

notya...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2021, 11:08:24 AM9/19/21
There used t be two very slightly different engaged tones - the usual 'line engaged' one and "equipment engaged" where the tone was the same but the cadence [volume] differed by 3dB between the bleeps. There is also a three rising tones one, which you got under certain circumstances on ISDN or if your PABX went down.