CPI rises a bad idea for networks?

Chris

Mar 4, 2022, 9:13:23 AMMar 4

This practice, especially this year, seems to me as a bit backward. Last
year it didn't really bother me, but this year as the increase is >9%
(CPI + 3.9%) it's made me look for better deals.

So now instead of paying £9.16 pm - originally £8 - for 7GB + unlimited
everything else, I can pay £8 pm for 14GB. This is with the same
provider. They have essentially encouraged me to pay less for more.

Shirley, this doesn't make much business sense?

Mark Carver

Mar 4, 2022, 9:15:07 AMMar 4
They're locked you in for another 12 (or 24) months though

Andy Burns

Mar 4, 2022, 9:31:17 AMMar 4
I pay £10.15 for SIM-only 10 GB + 5000 mins + unlimited sms
after RPI+3.9 = 11.7% (virgin don't use CPI) I'll be paying £11.33

Or I can upgrade to a new SIM-only contract
£11.00 for 20GB + unlimited mins + unlimited sms

Now it's not very likely I'll used much more minutes or text, I might happen to
use more data.

Yes, I feel if they're going to insist on a price ratchet, then I should insist
on maximising what I can use for that price ...

Mark Carver

Mar 4, 2022, 9:36:59 AMMar 4
Remember also any new contract (except with O2 ?) will cease to have
free EU roaming ?

I'm only 9 mths into a  two year June 2021 contract with EE, that still
has free EU roaming. Presumably the moment they try and change that
(before June 2023) I can leave them penalty free ?

Andy Burns

Mar 4, 2022, 10:09:28 AMMar 4
Mark Carver wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I feel if they're going to insist on a price ratchet, then I should
>> insist on maximising what I can use for that price ...
>
> Remember also any new contract (except with O2 ?) will cease to have free EU
> roaming ?

Roaming isn't a major concern for me, but the new SIM says "Roam like home in 43
destinations", my virgin SIM is still on the EE network, I suppose the new one
could be on O2 given the VMO2 partnership.

I think I'll wait until after the price rise, I suspect the "sale" price won't
immediately go up by 11.7%

> I'm only 9 mths into a  two year June 2021 contract with EE, that still has free
> EU roaming. Presumably the moment they try and change that (before June 2023) I
> can leave them penalty free ?

Should do ...

p.s. I've just checked and my phone seems confused whether it's using
MNC=234/MCC=10 (O2) or 234/MCC=15 (EE) maybe I've been "silently" shoved to O2
without having a new SIM, which might explain why I've started noticing the
Shop-n-Go on my phone has poor coverage in one end of Waitrose, when it used to
be fine ... must check whether I'm now disallowed use of the EE femtocells I
installed at one customer site.

Andy Burns

Mar 4, 2022, 10:31:11 AMMar 4
Andy Burns wrote:

> I've just checked and my phone seems confused whether it's using
> MNC=234/MCC=10 (O2) or 234/MCC=15 (EE)

It seems to be able to roam to either EE or O2, I can force its hand by swapping
the preferred connection type between LTE/WCDMA, by default when at home it used
to pick an 1800MHz close by, now I can force it to get a faster connection from
an 800MHz cell 6 miles away

Mark Carver

Mar 4, 2022, 10:35:28 AMMar 4
That's the same sort of trick they did during the period Orange and
T-Mobile were merging ?

Andy Burns

Mar 4, 2022, 10:48:07 AMMar 4
Mark Carver wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> It seems to be able to roam to either EE or O2, I can force its hand by
>> swapping the preferred connection type between LTE/WCDMA
>
> That's the same sort of trick they did during the period Orange and T-Mobile
> were merging ?

That caused issues with data to fire-engines at the time

notya...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2022, 11:28:40 AMMar 4
Yes they used to roam on each other's network.

Chris

Mar 4, 2022, 1:34:08 PMMar 4
Nope. It's a 30-day SIM only contact.

Martin Brown

Mar 5, 2022, 8:53:39 AMMar 5
On 04/03/2022 14:13, Chris wrote:

Actually it does. Inertia selling means that most people just keep on
paying the higher monthly price for the same deal. Comparatively few
ring up and haggle with customer retention with the threat of leaving.

Basically if you are not talking to their customer retention every
couple of years then you are being ripped off.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Chris

Mar 5, 2022, 2:41:43 PMMar 5
No haggling was required. It is just one of the standard deals.

Roger Mills

Mar 6, 2022, 3:36:08 PMMar 6
On 04/03/2022 14:13, Chris wrote:

I agree. I have a similar deal for 5GB which started at £6 and then went
up to £6.27 and is about to go up again to £6.85 (30 day rolling contract).

BUT the same supplier is offering new customers 6GB for £6 on their
website - also a 30 day rolling contract. I spoke to a droid who said
this was just for new customers. But isn't this against the latest Ofcom
rules?

[My guess is that they're trying to get round the rules by claiming that
it isn't an "end of contract" but is simply applying the built-in rules
to the existing contract].

Anyway, I'm ringing 'Retentions' tomorrow!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Martin Brown

Mar 7, 2022, 3:59:30 AMMar 7
Then you are still being ripped off but not by quite as much as you
would have been if you had stayed put and just accepted the increase.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Martin Brown

Mar 7, 2022, 4:02:19 AMMar 7
Research a rival operator with a deal that suits you as a negotiating
ploy. It is that simple retentions will match or even undercut it if
they really think you are about to leave their network. Only really
applies to longer contract SIMs very much harder to get discounts on the
30 day rolling deals. And I suspect impossible on PAYGO.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Chris

Mar 7, 2022, 8:14:42 AMMar 7
I hardly think £6pm for 14GB and unlimited everything else on a 30-day
SIM is a "rip-off".

Steve

Mar 7, 2022, 11:50:09 AMMar 7
It looks like a good deal to me, but do you use 14GB?

Chris

Mar 7, 2022, 2:36:01 PMMar 7
Whoops! Sorry that should £8pm. When away from wifi my teenagers certainly
can.

Roger Mills

Mar 8, 2022, 6:27:12 PMMar 8
Yes, I could have done that but anyway, they've now given me 7GB for £6
rather than the default increased price of 5GB for £6.85 I'm happy. I
don't actually need 7GB but I do object to the price escalation.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andy Burns

May 17, 2022, 6:37:42 AMMay 17
Mark Carver wrote:

> On 04/03/2022 Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> I feel if they're going to insist on a price ratchet, then I should
>> insist on maximising what I can use for that price ...

Happened to notice that yesterday they had an offer 10GB for £7/m instead of the
£12.05/m I was paying after the april rise

> Remember also any new contract (except with O2 ?) will cease to have free EU
> roaming ?

data rollover remains and virgin still do European roaming, so I've more than
made up for a few years CPI/RPI increases.

While speaking to them*, I tried to get them to enable wifi-calling, which so
far hasn't worked, but for "reasons" they're sending out a new SIM, so I'll wait
until that arrives and is swapped before having another attempt at getting
wifi-calling working ...

[*] hadn't noticed that virgin have closed all their actual shops around here,
and the rest are due to close, are they going to ditch the virgin name and just
be O2 I wonder?

Theo

May 17, 2022, 9:08:17 AMMay 17
Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> [*] hadn't noticed that virgin have closed all their actual shops around here,
> and the rest are due to close, are they going to ditch the virgin name and just
> be O2 I wonder?

Seems unlikely, given Virgin Media's broadband and TV empire. I doubt they
would rebrand as 'O2 TV', and a merged O2 broadband (some Openreach, some
DOCSIS) could get confusing(*).

Wouldn't be surprised if the Virgin Mobile name gets retired though, and
they sell O2 connections as part of VM TV/broadband/landline/mobile bundles.
(whether those connections are branded Virgin or not I'm not sure, but perhaps
they will retire standalone Virgin PAYG and contracts and just use the
Virgin brand on quad-play deals)

Not surprised about them closing the shops though - thought they were mostly
to get people to sign up to TV/broadband/etc deals, rather than primarily
phone shops.

Theo

(*) although I suppose the coverage checkers could offer VM broadband
alongside the O2 deals