eSIMs

Martin Brown

Aug 29, 2022, 5:58:09 AMAug 29

OK so new phone has eSIM capability which appeals to me a bit more than
cutting down my existing microSIM to make a nanoSIM.

However, are there any gotchas that I need to be aware of when making
the transfer given that I want to retain my existing number and
contract? Is it safer to visit a network physical shop and demand a new
nanoSIM or is the eSIM activation process reasonably foolproof?

I ask because last time I had to change physical SIM which was done by a
network provider shop the system managed to not delete the old SIM phone
number so that when asked its own number it responded with the original
SIM as manufactured number and not with the number ported to it.

They did sort it out but it caused me some hassle for the first week.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andy Burns

Aug 29, 2022, 8:30:18 AMAug 29
Martin Brown wrote:

> last time I had to change physical SIM which was done by a network provider shop
> the system managed to not delete the old SIM phone number so that when asked its
> own number it responded with the original SIM as manufactured number and not
> with the number ported to it.

That always seems to happen to me, I usually use MVNOs on SIM-only.

Chris in Makati

Aug 30, 2022, 6:30:44 PMAug 30
On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:58:00 +0100, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

>OK so new phone has eSIM capability which appeals to me a bit more than
>cutting down my existing microSIM to make a nanoSIM.

Almost every SIM card I've had in recent years has cutouts for
standard, micro, and nano SIM sizes.

If your SIM card is so old that it doesn't already have a nano SIM
cutout then it may be worth replacing anyway.

Chris

notya...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2022, 11:32:35 AMAug 31
You may need to change it to get 4G / 5G connectivity. Most MNO's will send / give you a new one for free and if nice (like O2) do it in their shop for you.

Martin Brown

Sep 1, 2022, 10:29:34 AMSep 1
I already have working 4G but the microSIM in my old Moto G4 I think
predates the very existence of 5G. I don't know if it has the nanoSIM
cutout or not but given its great age I am inclined to think not.

It was transplanted into that phone from a faithful Nokia that had an
unfortunate encounter with a bucket of water after falling out of my
shirt pocket. The Pixel 6 would probably tear my pocket off instead!

The new phone is 5G capable so it would be a shame to miss out on that
facility even if it will only work at 5G when I am in cities.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andy Burns

Sep 1, 2022, 12:32:15 PMSep 1
Mark Clayton wrote:

> You may need to change it to get 4G / 5G connectivity. Most MNO's will send
> / give you a new one for free and if nice (like O2) do it in their shop for
> you.
My old virgin SIM "just worked" on 5G once I bought a 5G phone

ok, coverage is more or less non-existent where I'd like it, but when I went to
the nearest 5G mast it gave me 345 Mbps download inside the car.