old old motorola phone, flaire aka orange mr20

Neil

May 31, 2022, 7:55:35 AMMay 31
hi i have a old mr20 by orange, it did work till the orange sims got killed
by ee.

but course the handset is orange locked.

does anyone still have the codes/generator to make a unlocking number up?

thanks.

Woody

May 31, 2022, 11:17:32 AMMay 31
That's curious. When I retired I asked if my long-held number could be
transferred to PAYG - and it was very easily. I still have that number
on an Orange SIM and it works perfectly.

I would take the phone into an EE shop and ask them to try an EE SIM in it.

Point of interest, have you tried any other SIM in it - many business
phones were supplied unlocked. It is only 2G 1800MHz.

Theo

May 31, 2022, 11:47:25 AMMay 31
Supposedly other phones of that generation need an unlocking box:
https://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1809167-How-to-unlock-GSM-Motorola-StarTAC-GSM-(MicroTAC)-Motorola-Select-Series-phones

Although you could try calling EE and asking for an unlock. Don't need to
be a customer and costs £8.99. Whether they will still have the means of
unlocking such an old phone is another question...

Software:
http://home.tiscali.cz/cz530628/downloads/unlock/motorola.htm
Somebody sells parts for a box (seems there's a custom Motorola chip, a BIC
43E08, about EUR15 elsewhere)
http://www.unlock.cz/en/boxyhtml/soucastky.php
Schematic and software:
http://www.hackersrussia.ru/Cells/eng/gsm/motorola.htm

There's also a very quiet forum about them:
https://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f165/?pp=20&daysprune=-1

I'm sure there's more down that rabbit hole...

Theo

notya...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2022, 10:47:57 AMJun 2
On Tuesday, 31 May 2022 at 12:55:35 UTC+1, Neil wrote:
> hi i have a old mr20 by orange, it did work till the orange sims got killed
> by ee.

I don't think they did, my O and 121 SIMs still worked until I got them replaced by EE. Each used to roam on other network depending on where one was, which on an old Mot' phone gave an orange light like when you were abroad.

> but course the handset is orange locked.
>
> does anyone still have the codes/generator to make a unlocking number up?
>
> thanks.

See below, it is a 2G phone - Three SIM's won't work as [surprise] they are 3G, well for now.