Pixel 5 end of support

Scott

Dec 10, 2023, 3:28:36 PM12/10/23
I understand that support for my Pixel 5 ended in October, though I
have received Android 14 and a November update. Should I be
concerned, and is there a way to overcome this?

Andy Burns

Dec 10, 2023, 3:50:52 PM12/10/23
Scott wrote:

> I understand that support for my Pixel 5 ended in October, though I
> have received Android 14 and a November update.

Sounds about right, e.g. my Pixel3 got a major version upgrade right at
the end if its support life, then a couple of "bonus" bugfixes over the
next few months. My Pixel 5a will run out of support in August, so I'll
be hoping the Pixel 8a is released May'ish and comes down in price
around October'ish.

> Should I be concerned, and is there a way to overcome this?

Only by moving to e.g. LineageOS or another 3rd party ROM.

Charlie

Jan 10, 2024, 12:43:43 AMJan 10
On this Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:50:47 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

>> I understand that support for my Pixel 5 ended in October, though I
>> have received Android 14 and a November update.
>
> Sounds about right, e.g. my Pixel3 got a major version upgrade right at
> the end if its support life, then a couple of "bonus" bugfixes over the
> next few months. My Pixel 5a will run out of support in August, so I'll
> be hoping the Pixel 8a is released May'ish and comes down in price
> around October'ish.

Do you still get project mainline google play system updates on that pixel?

Andy Burns

Jan 10, 2024, 4:08:44 AMJan 10
Charlie wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> my Pixel3 got a major version upgrade right at the end if its
>> support life, then a couple of "bonus" bugfixes over the next few
>> months.
>
> Do you still get project mainline google play system updates on that pixel?

I'll stick it on charge ...

Andy Burns

Jan 10, 2024, 6:06:39 AMJan 10
Andy Burns wrote:

> Charlie wrote:
>
>> Do you still get project mainline google play system updates on that
>> pixel?
>
> I'll stick it on charge ...

It's received a further "bonus" Android Security upgrade (only 243kB to
enable VoLTE roaming related to 3G shutdown) but the build date didn't
change from September 21, and it now displays "Regular updates have
ended for this device".

And a couple of Play System updates (1.2MB plus 69MB) the date did
change to November 23

Doing the normal Play store app updates, got a message "Can't install
Google Support Services"

I still don't know how to tell which individual system components have
received updates ...

And I *still* think the Pixel3 is a nicer physical device than the
Pixel5a, but battery life is looking poor (it's eaten 30% already, OK
it's been busy downloading and installing).

Scott

Jan 10, 2024, 9:39:36 AMJan 10
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:06:34 +0000, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk>
wrote:
Any merit in moving to an alternative operating system, or would this
be even more out of date?

Andy Burns

Jan 10, 2024, 10:34:11 AMJan 10
Scott wrote:

> Any merit in moving to an alternative operating system, or would this
> be even more out of date?
The Pixel3 is running the final version of android12, I'm pretty sure it
would run LineageOS20 (based on android13), which I suspect will be
supported for at least a couple more years.

The phone is already 2+ years past EoL and the battery is feeling it,
it's basically just my backup phone, I never seem to have time on my
hands to tinker nowadays ...

Scott

Jan 10, 2024, 10:56:15 AMJan 10
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 15:34:05 +0000, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk>
wrote:
Yes, but I have Android 14 (on Pixel 5). I am wondering if there will
come a point when Lineage is ahead of Android 14. Also, what is the
risk of apps not running?

Andy Burns

Jan 10, 2024, 11:29:14 AMJan 10
Scott wrote:

> I have Android 14 (on Pixel 5). I am wondering if there will
> come a point when Lineage is ahead of Android 14.

I suspect LineageOS 21 isn't too far away (for Pixels) and probably will
have security fixes newer that the final Pixel5 release. Has yours had
any "bonus" fixes since october?

> Also, what is the risk of apps not running?

The last devices that I ran 3rd party ROMs on were Nexus1 and Nexus7, so
difficult to say ... but always easy enough to try and then put a Pixel
back to the last factory version.

Scott

Jan 10, 2024, 1:09:09 PMJan 10
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:29:08 +0000, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> I have Android 14 (on Pixel 5). I am wondering if there will
>> come a point when Lineage is ahead of Android 14.
>
>I suspect LineageOS 21 isn't too far away (for Pixels) and probably will
>have security fixes newer that the final Pixel5 release. Has yours had
>any "bonus" fixes since october?

I don't know but I received Android 14, which may have incorporated
some early security fixes.

>> Also, what is the risk of apps not running?
>
>The last devices that I ran 3rd party ROMs on were Nexus1 and Nexus7, so
>difficult to say ... but always easy enough to try and then put a Pixel
>back to the last factory version.

Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
Enquiries?

I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.

Andy Burns

Jan 10, 2024, 1:18:35 PMJan 10
Scott wrote:

> Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
> messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
> mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
> Enquiries?

I would think so, a long time ago rooting was synonymous with 3rd party
ROMs, banking apps objected, I think nowadays you don't have to run as root.

> I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
> camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
> comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.

Camera was a sticking point for me too back then (and maybe NFC, can't
remember).

Java Jive

Jan 10, 2024, 1:31:44 PMJan 10
For me it was phone calls, rather a basic failure, I couldn't hear
callers, but they could hear me.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Scott

Jan 10, 2024, 1:48:40 PMJan 10
On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:31:42 +0000, Java Jive <ja...@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 10/01/2024 18:18, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
>>> messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
>>> mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
>>> Enquiries?
>>
>> I would think so, a long time ago rooting was synonymous with 3rd party
>> ROMs, banking apps objected, I think nowadays you don't have to run as
>> root.
>>
>>> I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
>>> camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
>>> comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.
>>
>> Camera was a sticking point for me too back then (and maybe NFC, can't
>> remember).
>
>For me it was phone calls, rather a basic failure, I couldn't hear
>callers, but they could hear me.

I am becoming discouraged now.

Java Jive

Jan 10, 2024, 2:38:06 PMJan 10
It was about 5 or 6 years ago, so things may have improved since.
Probably try on an old or spare phone first, if you have one.

Theo

Jan 11, 2024, 5:16:07 AMJan 11
Scott <newsg...@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> Can it be assumed all core Android functions will work - phone calls,
> messages, calendar, contacts, camera? Can it be assumed almost all
> mainstream apps will work - eg, emails, BBC, Sky News, National Rail
> Enquiries?
>
> I think the last time I installed a third party OS (Cyanogen?) the
> camera never worked properly so I am reluctant to depart from my
> comfort zone to deal with a hypothetical risk.

LineageOS won't make a phone an 'official' device unless all the hardware
works. Those are rather few nowadays because of their strict policy on
this. Community builds for unsupported devices from some random dev on
XDA-Developers may be lacking in support for some bit of hardware or other
(fingerprint reader or NFC or something) but are often usable if you can put
up with that.

'Working' does not mean the full features of the stock OS - eg you won't get
Google's AI camera voodoo unless you install Google's camera app (and maybe
Google lock that down for some reason).

Also, LineageOS ships without Google Play Services and Play Store by
default. The Google Apps (GApps) are a separate download which you need to
flash separately. Or you can use non-GPS apps and app stores if you prefer.

Some banking apps do Play Integrity checks and don't work (Lloyds/Halifax is
one), but many do.

I can also suggest DivestOS as they are specifically targeting older
unsupported phones and may have better support, as well as better security.
A comparison:
https://eylenburg.github.io/android_comparison.htm

Theo

Andy Burns

Jan 11, 2024, 5:48:20 AMJan 11

Java Jive

Jan 11, 2024, 6:13:49 AMJan 11
On 11/01/2024 10:16, Theo wrote:

> I can also suggest DivestOS

Not to be confused with DomestOS!

Andy Burns

Feb 17, 2024, 11:41:21 AMFeb 17
Andy Burns wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>
>> I have Android 14 (on Pixel 5). I am wondering if there will
>> come a point when Lineage is ahead of Android 14.
>
> I suspect LineageOS 21 isn't too far away (for Pixels)

Initial release out now

<https://lineageos.org/Changelog-28>

But I only see builds for pixel6 and newer so far ...