Delay on mobile to mobile call?

Chris

Feb 6, 2024, 2:32:41 AMFeb 6

I had an ordinary voice call last night which started fine, but then there
was an increasingly long delay in the audio. We were less than 5 miles
apart, but it felt like the old days of calling Australia. Any idea what
would cause that? Call was between anIDmobile (me) and LycaMobile (them)
connections.

Ending up calling via my landline and it was all back to normal.

David Woolley

Feb 6, 2024, 8:47:43 AMFeb 6
VoIP always has high latencies. If any part of the network was
overloaded, these could become much worse. The receiving phone will
have been using a jitter buffer to account for variations in these, but
it may well have only increased the jitter buffer length, so the delay
would reflect the maximum delay so far.

You'd need a non-internet derived, audio, time signal, to work out which
direction(s) was/were accumulating the delays.

(The first reasons for concerns with Digital Voice and social alarms
were not the resilience ones that come up here about every three weeks,
but that the round trip delays would be too long for the alarm modems
and alarm signalling protocols.)

David Woolley

Feb 6, 2024, 8:50:08 AMFeb 6
On 06/02/2024 13:47, David Woolley wrote:

> VoIP always has high latencies.  If any part of the network was
> overloaded, these could become much worse.  The receiving phone will

Sorry. I got confused about the newsgroup. However, it does sound like
there is VoIP somewhere in the circuit. Was one party using WiFi calling?

Chris

Feb 6, 2024, 1:37:08 PMFeb 6
Nope.

Theo

Feb 10, 2024, 4:49:23 AMFeb 10
VoLTE is VOIP. Maybe there was some congestion in the IP network? I would
have thought there would be QoS applied to avoid that, but you never know...

Theo