BT customer contracts face probe by regulator

Java Jive

Jan 24, 2023, 8:26:54 AM1/24/23
BT customer contracts face probe by regulator
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64374585

"BT is being investigated by the telecoms regulator over concerns it
broke rules when customers signed new mobile and broadband deals.

Ofcom is checking if the telecoms giant failed to give people "clear and
simple" contract information, which it is required to provide.

It said it had received evidence that two BT subsidiaries, EE and
Plusnet, had breached those rules."

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

notya...@gmail.com

Jan 25, 2023, 7:16:10 AM1/25/23
Gouged by BT, when has that ever happened before?

Davey

Jan 25, 2023, 11:57:42 AM1/25/23
Ah yes, the days of the charge rate changes that never coincided with
your billing cycles.
So when they raised the rate, seemingly on a monthly basis, they would
retroactively split your previous bill, credit you with the cost of the
second part at the old rate, then charge the second part at the new
rate. But it was impossible to match the numbers they came up with,
their charge always appeared higher than what you thought it should be
based on their numbers.
Zen, on the other hand, is still charging me the same rates as it did
when I switched to them in 2011.
--
Davey

notya...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2023, 5:41:40 AM1/27/23
BT still do this. Pay up front twelve months' line rental and they charge extra from the date of an increase even though you have paid already. If I fill the fuel tank on my car and a fortnight later the service station ups the price, I don't have to go in and pay the difference on the fuel I have already bought and paid for!

Davey

Jan 27, 2023, 5:50:03 AM1/27/23
On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 02:41:38 -0800 (PST)
Still a good reason to leave BT, then. I have no regrets that I did
many years ago.
--
Davey.

Andy Burns

Jan 27, 2023, 7:13:14 AM1/27/23
Java Jive wrote:

> Ofcom is checking if the telecoms giant failed to give people "clear and
> simple" contract information, which it is required to provide.
>
> It said it had received evidence that two BT subsidiaries, EE and
> Plusnet, had breached those rules."

I see the ASA was also investigating a complaint about Plusnet, but
because it was resolved "informally" a couple of days ago, that seems to
mean they don't publish any details of what the complaint even was about ...

<https://www.asa.org.uk/codes-and-rulings/rulings.html?q=plusnet#informally-resolved>

Phil

Jan 28, 2023, 9:13:40 PM1/28/23
On 24/01/2023 13:26, Java Jive wrote:
> BT customer contracts face probe by regulator
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64374585
>
> "BT is being investigated by the telecoms regulator over concerns it
> broke rules when customers signed new mobile and broadband deals.
>
> Ofcom is checking if the telecoms giant failed to give people "clear and
> simple" contract information, which it is required to provide.
>
> It said it had received evidence that two BT subsidiaries, EE and
> Plusnet, had breached those rules."

I wonder if this could mean they'll have to cancel the annual CPI+3.9%
price increase this year?

Woody

Jan 29, 2023, 4:01:04 AM1/29/23
If they do how will that leave other SPs - notably VM who are the
leaders in that field!