Is O2 playing a long game on EU roaming charges?

notya...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2022, 6:07:57 AMJul 17
O2 is now the only MNO that has not brought back roaming charges, although some MVNO's (e.g. Lyca) have not either. This is obviously driving customers towards O2: -
https://www.techradar.com/news/eu-roaming-fees-could-increase-mobile-operator-churn
OTOH given that Virgin Mobile (now 'merged' with O2) has brought them back is O2 merely intending to wait until many customers have switched to them before bringing back EU roaming, probably at higher rates - by then there will be nowhere else to go to, so few customers will jump back to their previous suppliers?

PS spare a thought for Three who painted their [now broken] promise not to bring back EU roaming charges on the side of a bus
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/three-brexit-bus-warns-potential-roaming-fees/1578960
https://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/content/go-roam-after-brexit/
Once bitten twice shy lads.

With Three's renege on 321 (now increased 1,000%) who but the young / naïve would deal with them now?

grinch

Jul 17, 2022, 6:39:57 AMJul 17
Tesco mobile have just announced they will be introducing roaming
charges and they are an MVNO on O2 . Tesco have gone from a great deal
to being really expensive 10p per mb.

At least 3 charge a flat rate per day. I will be changing my contract
once its up an 24 months time.

Woody

Jul 17, 2022, 9:20:41 AMJul 17
The interesting one is GiffGaff MVNO. Whilst they still run on the O2
infrastructure they were not part of the merger with Virgin/Liberty
Global and are still owned by Telefonica, the Spanish PTT operator. They
have stated that roaming charges will not return.

grinch

Jul 17, 2022, 10:34:39 AMJul 17
I think I read somewhere they have dropped the data you can use with no
charges to 5gb,not sure that is a fact though.

Woody

Jul 17, 2022, 3:30:38 PMJul 17
I think that is correct.

David Wade

Jul 17, 2022, 3:59:55 PMJul 17
The FAQ says 20gb

https://www.giffgaff.com/roaming-charges

For data, our goodybags have an EU roaming cap, but only after you’ve
used 20 GB of data. You’ll only be charged 0.36p/MB while roaming if you
go over that 20 GB cap.

Dave

Theo

Jul 17, 2022, 4:04:06 PMJul 17
notya...@gmail.com <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS spare a thought for Three who painted their [now broken] promise not to bring back EU roaming charges on the side of a bus
> https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/three-brexit-bus-warns-potential-roaming-fees/1578960
> https://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/content/go-roam-after-brexit/
> Once bitten twice shy lads.
>
> With Three's renege on 321 (now increased 1,000%) who but the young / naïve would deal with them now?

Three used to be the 'challenger' network, undercutting the others on PAYG
ever since the days of Flat12. Now I can't see anything attractive about
them. The only minor feature is Smarty, who don't even use the Three
name.

Interestingly, 1pmobile are claiming they will maintain EU roaming at 1p per
min/SMS/MB:

"Roam-like-at-home post Brexit
We're committed to providing our customers with great connectivity and value
when they travel overseas. We currently have no plans to change our roaming
services across Europe. We will be working closely with the government and
other European operators to try and protect the current arrangements so our
customers can continue to enjoy EU roaming at UK rates."

Perhaps an option for those on PAYG?
(until they change their mind, of course)

Theo

Chris Green

Jul 18, 2022, 4:18:05 AMJul 18
idMobile are also maintaining their (quite similar) rates and roaming.

--
Chris Green
·

Roger Mills

Jul 22, 2022, 5:40:01 PMJul 22
On 17/07/2022 11:07, notya...@gmail.com wrote:
Interestingly, although EE have seemingly brought back roaming charges,
PlusNet (which is an MVNO on the EE network) hasn't.

Go figure!
--
Cheers,
Roger