EE/T-Mobile: closing the webtext service

Allan

Jun 19, 2017, 10:44:37 AM6/19/17

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Texting-and-messaging/T-Mobile-webtext-closure/td-p/575133

"Following a review, we have decided to discontinue the T-Mobile webtext
service. We haven't taken this decision lightly, but due to the
declining usage of the service and the age of the technology that was
originally used to offer the feature, we unfortunately cannot keep it
running."

Pity, as it was a very useful service, being able to type a text on a
webpage as if it was from your phone (and within your allocation of
texts). Also useful when abroad (don't pay roaming charges, e.g. from
US and NZ)

I suppose life (& technology) moves on. Over to WhatsApp etc.

Chris Green

Jun 19, 2017, 11:03:05 AM6/19/17
I send texts from my PC using SipGate (VOIP provider). I have set up
a command line script to do it but they also have a web app. It's
*so* much easier sending a text with a real keyboard.

--
Chris Green
·

Chris in Makati

Jun 19, 2017, 6:52:36 PM6/19/17
The problem with Sipgate SMS is the message as received doesn't always
show the sender's number, so the recipient can't easily reply.

Bob Martin

Jun 20, 2017, 2:54:13 AM6/20/17
If I'm at a desk I connect my PC to my phone using Airdroid, and I can perform
most of my phone functions using the desktop.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sand.airdroid&hl=en_GB

Chris Green

Jun 20, 2017, 4:03:04 AM6/20/17
I have my command line SMS script configured so it gives my actual
mobile phone number as the sender.

--
Chris Green
·

R. Mark Clayton

Jun 20, 2017, 5:32:25 AM6/20/17
Ditto USB cable or Bluetooth. Not only that it backs them all up each time you connect, so you can clear the old ones out of the phone.

MissRiaElaine

Jul 1, 2017, 10:15:32 AM7/1/17
On 19/06/17 15:58, Chris Green wrote:
> Allan <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

[snip]

> I send texts from my PC using SipGate (VOIP provider). I have set up
> a command line script to do it but they also have a web app. It's
> *so* much easier sending a text with a real keyboard.

It's easier still to ring people up and speak to them. I *hate* text
messages, they're so impersonal.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Chris in Makati

Jul 1, 2017, 6:12:55 PM7/1/17
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 15:15:29 +0100, MissRiaElaine
<MissRi...@thisaddress.invalid> wrote:

>On 19/06/17 15:58, Chris Green wrote:
>> Allan <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> I send texts from my PC using SipGate (VOIP provider). I have set up
>> a command line script to do it but they also have a web app. It's
>> *so* much easier sending a text with a real keyboard.
>>

>It's easier still to ring people up and speak to them. I *hate* text
>messages, they're so impersonal.

It may be easier for the caller, but voice calls on mobiles can be
rather intrusive, especially if the recipient is busy doing something
that makes it inconvenient to take a call.

If you need to discuss something then a voice call can be better, but
if you just want to convey a simple piece of information then a text
message is better.

MissRiaElaine

Jul 8, 2017, 2:52:33 PM7/8/17
Not if you want to convey information to me.

If you aren't prepared to answer a phone, don't have one. Or switch it
off if you're really so, so busy. (Are you really..?)

Chris Green

Jul 9, 2017, 5:03:03 PM7/9/17
MissRiaElaine <MissRi...@thisaddress.invalid> wrote:
> On 01/07/17 23:12, Chris in Makati wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 15:15:29 +0100, MissRiaElaine
> > <MissRi...@thisaddress.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> It's easier still to ring people up and speak to them. I *hate* text
> >> messages, they're so impersonal.
> >
> > It may be easier for the caller, but voice calls on mobiles can be
> > rather intrusive, especially if the recipient is busy doing something
> > that makes it inconvenient to take a call.
> >
> > If you need to discuss something then a voice call can be better, but
> > if you just want to convey a simple piece of information then a text
> > message is better.
> >

> Not if you want to convey information to me.
>
> If you aren't prepared to answer a phone, don't have one. Or switch it
> off if you're really so, so busy. (Are you really..?)

Yes, not particularly busy but my phone is turned off 90% of the time.
So if anyone wants me to respond to something then a message is much
more effective. Actually an E-Mail is even better as I'm much more
likely to see an E-Mail quickly thanan SMS.

... really, if I'm up the garden (9 acres) mowing the orchard I don't
want to be responding to phone calls but an E-Mail (or SMS) when I get
back to the house to have a drink is much more practical.

--
Chris Green
·

Chris in Makati

Jul 9, 2017, 11:08:20 PM7/9/17
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 19:52:30 +0100, MissRiaElaine
<MissRi...@thisaddress.invalid> wrote:

>On 01/07/17 23:12, Chris in Makati wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 15:15:29 +0100, MissRiaElaine
>> <MissRi...@thisaddress.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> It's easier still to ring people up and speak to them. I *hate* text
>>> messages, they're so impersonal.
>>
>> It may be easier for the caller, but voice calls on mobiles can be
>> rather intrusive, especially if the recipient is busy doing something
>> that makes it inconvenient to take a call.
>>
>> If you need to discuss something then a voice call can be better, but
>> if you just want to convey a simple piece of information then a text
>> message is better.
>>

>Not if you want to convey information to me.
>
>If you aren't prepared to answer a phone, don't have one. Or switch it
>off if you're really so, so busy. (Are you really..?)

Yes, very often. I don't want to take calls when I'm driving the car,
in a business meeting, in a restaurant, and many other situations when
it would be inappropriate. It's just damn rude to start chatting on
the phone when you're out with friends and supposed to be talking to
them.

If you just want to convey a simple piece of information then send me
a text. If necessary I'll call you back at a more convenient time.