Switching to 3G only (or 2G even)

Richmond

Jan 31, 2024, 5:10:12 PMJan 31
I have discovered that switching to '3G only' gives me a much better
signal. I think I knew this some time in the past and forgot about it,
but it occured to me just now when I was looking at an old Nokia on O2
and it was showing 4/4 signal, whereas my fancy new smart phone shows
1/4. But is it worth setting it to 3G only? shouldn't it switch to 3G
automatically if it has a weak signal? I've noticed the signal can go up
when making a call on 4G but I am not sure what happens on incoming
calls. Bard tells me the network operator might prefer me to use a weak
4G than a stronger 3G.

Andy Burns

Jan 31, 2024, 8:05:25 PMJan 31
Richmond wrote:

> I have discovered that switching to '3G only' gives me a much better
> signal.

Enjoy that 3G while it lasts ...

Richmond

Feb 1, 2024, 9:29:21 AMFeb 1
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> writes:

> Am 31/01/2024 um 22:10 schrieb Richmond: > I have discovered that
> There's a thread of mine of a few weeks ago on this topic. Sometimes I
> need to switch to 2G to be able to make calls.

OK I went back and read the thread. Ironically ASDA/Vodafone is the only
thing that does work for me. My problem is with O2 and with incoming
calls, although I may have made matters worse by having spam protection,
it's hard to tell. The signal strength occasionally disappears from O2,
and occasionally I will get a balance notice which is my only clue that
a call went straight to voicemail.

I had a call on 2G+EDGE this afternoon and it sounded fine, so as long
as I don't need to use data I think I will leave it on 2G. If I need to
use data I am probably outside and can put on 4G again.

notya...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2024, 2:11:55 PMFeb 3
In 3/4/5G calls are just a data connection and treated as such. in 2G Edge is irrelevant for calling as the main purpose of 2G was [digital] calls and passing data (Edge, Gprs, Edge, Hsdpa, Hspa+) are all essentially add one passing data over voice channels.

Tweed

Feb 3, 2024, 2:30:00 PMFeb 3
No, 3G is still a circuit switched connection.