OT: Amazon 2SV

Graham J

Nov 26, 2020, 12:04:42 PM11/26/20
Hi - trying to set up a backup method for 2SV using my landline number
because there's no mobile signal here. I provide the landline number
and the Amazon system is supposed to send a OTP immediately - by voice
message since that's what I've selected.

But I never receive the OTP - the phone never rings.

Norhing wrong with phone line - I can make and receive other calls OK.

Has anybody got this to work?

--
Graham J

Mark Carver

Nov 27, 2020, 7:26:24 AM11/27/20
Have you set the number as +44...... ?

Graham J

Nov 27, 2020, 9:30:05 AM11/27/20
The +44 prefix is supplied on the form, presumably because it knows from
my IP address that I'm in the UK. So I supplied my number without the
leading zero, as 123 456 7890. I also tried it with the leading zero,
but no diference ...

--
Graham J

DrTeeth

Dec 1, 2020, 9:20:49 AM12/1/20
On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 14:29:47 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk> disturbed my reverie and wrote:

>The +44 prefix is supplied on the form, presumably because it knows from
>my IP address that I'm in the UK. So I supplied my number without the
>leading zero, as 123 456 7890. I also tried it with the leading zero,
>but no diference ...

Did you enter your number with or without spaces and did you try both
ways?
--
Cheers,

DrT

** Amateurs built the Ark, but professionals built the Titanic.**

Graham J

Dec 2, 2020, 4:15:29 AM12/2/20
DrTeeth wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 14:29:47 +0000, just as I was about to take a
> herb, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk> disturbed my reverie and wrote:
>

>> The +44 prefix is supplied on the form, presumably because it knows from
>> my IP address that I'm in the UK. So I supplied my number without the
>> leading zero, as 123 456 7890. I also tried it with the leading zero,
>> but no diference ...
>
> Did you enter your number with or without spaces and did you try both
> ways?

Without spaces, and with spaces in the format of the example shown on
their web page, as: [+44] 123 456 7890

--
Graham J

notya...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2020, 12:04:22 PM12/5/20
This number is in Bedford, was BT's and is currently allocated. It gives a weird 'busy' announcement I have never heard before.

Back in the 80's 01 234 5678 was subscribed by Citibank in Lewisham.

Graham.

Dec 15, 2020, 10:53:30 AM12/15/20
That Bedford number has some history. For a couple of decades dialling
it returned the familiar "The number you have dialled has not been
recognised" message, but it's a lie, because usually that message
would be delivered as "early media" but in this case the call is
actually answered and is chargable.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

notya...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2020, 2:07:53 PM12/18/20
BT also kept 44 444 444444 for themselves, but then their renumbering scheme screwed it up.

I tried to get +44 61 446 1446 back in the late 80's, but failed. BT would have messed that one up too!