PlusNet router ident

Woody

Dec 19, 2020, 10:50:26 AM12/19/20
I'm trying to help an elderly friend with his router.

He is a Plusnet customer with a Plusnet Hub 1 router (i.e. a rebranded
BT HH5.) I want to try a spare Netgear router that I have.

Simple question: does anyone know if PlusNet use the username and
password inside the router for identification or do they, like BT with
the HH5, just use the line CLI?

TIA

David Wade

Dec 19, 2020, 10:52:55 AM12/19/20
Its all on the plusnet site in his member center

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Dave

Andy Burns

Dec 19, 2020, 10:53:16 AM12/19/20
Woody wrote:

> does anyone know if PlusNet use the username and
> password inside the router for identification

yes, the same username and password as they use for the plusnet website,
username has the realm "@plusdsl.net" appended to it.

Graham J

Dec 19, 2020, 3:09:13 PM12/19/20
Username & password.

Most real-world users have lost this critical information.

So worth ringing Plusnet first to get it. You may have to impersonate
the elderly friend or be prepared to answer the security questiosn that
he will have (probably unknowingly) set up with Plusnet when he first
ordered the service.

--
Graham J

Michael Chare

Dec 20, 2020, 6:36:36 PM12/20/20
You need to know both the connection userid and the password.

The same information without the part beginning with @ can be used to
log into the Plusnet user website.(not forum). You can likely display
the connectionuser name by logging into the router.

--
Michael Chare

NY

Dec 21, 2020, 5:42:18 AM12/21/20
"Michael Chare" <mUNDERS...@chareDO.Torg.uk> wrote in message
>> Username & password.

The Plusnet ADSL username is of the form <username>@plusdsl.net (for example
fr...@plusdsl.net). The password is the same one as for accessing Plusnet's
Portal (aka Member Centre). I'm not sure whether the ADSL and Portal
passwords are permanently tied together (changing one changes the other), or
whether they *start* with the same value but either can be modified without
affecting the other: I think it's the first.

Andy Burns

Dec 21, 2020, 5:52:57 AM12/21/20
NY wrote:

> I'm not sure whether the ADSL and Portal passwords are permanently tied
> together

They are.

Mark Carver

Dec 21, 2020, 7:07:58 AM12/21/20
Routinely yes, but not necessarily so. To resolve a billing issue,
PlusNet opened a new account, which had a different username for
'connection' than for 'admin'

It was all a disaster, and didn't resolve the billing issue, so I asked
to revert back to 'as were'.

NY

Dec 21, 2020, 7:42:16 AM12/21/20
"Mark Carver" <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
When my parents upgraded from ADSL to VDSL (FTTC), for some reason PN had to
allocate them a new username and password for the VDSL logon which is
different to the Portal username/password. This came in useful when my dad
forgot the Portal password and had to get PN to reset it. I knew that he was
safe to do this because it wouldn't "kill" the VDSL connection. If you have
PN's own router, any change the VDSL password gets copied (somehow) to the
router, so it's not a problem, but with your own router you'd stop the
connection working. I confirmed that my parents had a PN router, but if they
hadn't, any change to the VDSL password would have stopped me being able to
connect by Teamview to go into the router's config page to sort it out.