Google Skupine ne podpirajo več novih objav ali naročnin v storitvi Usenet. Zgodovinsko vsebino si je še vedno mogoče ogledati.

pork luncheon meat phone calls

32 ogledov
Preskoči na prvo neprebrano sporočilo

Graham J

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 05:24:496. 12. 21
do
For the past week I've received calls at least every day purporting to
come from Amazon. Nice female voice telling me that I've just ordered
an iPhone or similar. Different phone number shown for every call.
Calls start at about 7am and I receive 2 or 3 per day.

I do have an account with Amazon, but this does not show any orders in
progress, since I haven't bought anything from them for a few months.

Is everybody getting these calls or is it just me?

Am I being targeted? Is this malicious?

--
Graham J

Andy Burns

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 05:29:126. 12. 21
do
Graham J wrote:

> Is everybody getting these calls or is it just me?

Not me, I did once have a

"thanks for renewing your amazon prime for £xxx, press 1 if it wasn't you"

type call, but generally I only get these robocalls every 2-3 months.

Chris

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 07:03:136. 12. 21
do
Not seeing this specifically. Although, there has been an uptick in
general spam calls. I had one robocaller which had a very natural
sounding voice and had me fooled for a few seconds.

Ian Jackson

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 08:39:266. 12. 21
do
In message <soku60$nk3$1...@dont-email.me>, Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
writes
Last week, my landline phone (along with many others in the area) was
dead for four day. I was delighted when it eventually rang - even though
the resumption of 'normal service' was simply yet another one of those
frequent calls from Amazon, querying my recent 699.99 pound purchase of
yet another iPad.
--
Ian

Steve

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 08:51:196. 12. 21
do
You might be being targeted because you are answering their calls,
and yes they are malicious coz they are trying to scam you. Since
buying my BT8600 nuisance call blocking phones four years ago I've
had no callers trying to scam me and when I check my call log I see
that these type of calls are few and far between.

notya...@gmail.com

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 10:20:326. 12. 21
do
On Monday, 6 December 2021 at 10:24:49 UTC, Graham J wrote:
> For the past week I've received calls at least every day purporting to
> come from Amazon. Nice female voice telling me that I've just ordered
> an iPhone or similar. Different phone number shown for every call.
> Calls start at about 7am and I receive 2 or 3 per day.

Oddly an iPhone 7, long superseded, however this might be part of the trap - not only have you not ordered, but in addition who would pay $$$$ for an obsolete model?

> I do have an account with Amazon, but this does not show any orders in
> progress, since I haven't bought anything from them for a few months.
>
> Is everybody getting these calls or is it just me?

Millions are - I get them on both landlines, but they are in the phone book.

> Am I being targeted?

Sort of - anyone where they can tie a name to the number.

> Is this malicious?

Yes!

> --
> Graham J

Graham J

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 10:48:476. 12. 21
do
Several of the legitimate callers to my number are shown as unknown or
withheld. How would your nuisance all blocker deal with these?

--
Graham J

Woody

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 10:49:206. 12. 21
do
Although we got the BT4600 it as also had the same effect here - scam
call count down to zero. We wouldn't even know most of the time save for
the fact that we still have one phone (in silent mode) also on the line.

There is however two things I don't like about the phone: it will not
let you see the numbers that have been blocked; you cannot see the
numbers you have permitted but without entering in the directory.

Oh, and a third thing: horrible synthesized audio, audio quality that is
nowhere near as good as our previous Panasonic kit, and it crackles like
crazy for which I cannot figure a cause as it is on any phone but in one
area of the house. Move a bit and the crackle disappears and it doesn't
come back when you go back to the original location.

Abandoned_Trolley

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 11:02:556. 12. 21
do

> Several of the legitimate callers to my number are shown as unknown or
> withheld.  How would your nuisance all blocker deal with these?

.. in the context of the question, I have to ask if "nuisance all
blocker" was a typo ?

--
random signature text inserted here

Graham J

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 11:20:586. 12. 21
do
Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

>> Several of the legitimate callers to my number are shown as unknown or
>> withheld.  How would your nuisance all blocker deal with these?
>>

> .. in the context of the question, I have to ask if "nuisance all
> blocker" was a typo ?

I think more of a Freudian slip! Sorry!

--
Graham J

Roderick Stewart

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 12:01:356. 12. 21
do
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 15:49:17 +0000, Woody <harro...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>> You might be being targeted because you are answering their calls,
>> and yes they are malicious coz they are trying to scam you. Since
>> buying my BT8600 nuisance call blocking phones four years ago I've
>> had no callers trying to scam me and when I check my call log I see
>> that these type of calls are few and far between.
>>

>Although we got the BT4600 it as also had the same effect here - scam
>call count down to zero. We wouldn't even know most of the time save for
>the fact that we still have one phone (in silent mode) also on the line.

Similar story here with the 8500. No scam calls at all. These phones
really seem to work.

Rod.

Java Jive

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 13:40:116. 12. 21
do
On 06/12/2021 16:20, Graham J wrote:

> I think more of a Freudian slip!  Sorry!

Didn't know that Freud wore slips, explains a lot about him!

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Tim+

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 13:56:106. 12. 21
do
If they’re not in the white list, they go to the answer phone or have to
announce their name first (depending on settings). Scammers almost never
do.

Tim

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Woody

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 14:01:246. 12. 21
do
Confirm they NEVER do as they have to give their name and then press #.

Steve

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 14:07:306. 12. 21
do
Withheld calls or calls not in your address book are greeted with a
message saying that calls are being screened and asking them to say
their name and then press hash. If someone does this then your phone
rings and after hearing their announced name you have the option to
accept or reject the call. I've never had a scammer do this and so
am not bothered with their calls.

Steve

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 14:08:016. 12. 21
do
Woody wrote:

> On Mon 06/12/2021 13:51, Steve wrote:
> > Graham J wrote:
> >>
> >> For the past week I've received calls at least every day purporting to
> >> come from Amazon. Nice female voice telling me that I've just ordered
> >> an iPhone or similar. Different phone number shown for every call.
> >> Calls start at about 7am and I receive 2 or 3 per day.
> >>
> >> I do have an account with Amazon, but this does not show any orders in
> >> progress, since I haven't bought anything from them for a few months.
> >>
> >> Is everybody getting these calls or is it just me?
> >>
> >> Am I being targeted? Is this malicious?
> >
> > You might be being targeted because you are answering their calls,
> > and yes they are malicious coz they are trying to scam you. Since
> > buying my BT8600 nuisance call blocking phones four years ago I've
> > had no callers trying to scam me and when I check my call log I see
> > that these type of calls are few and far between.
> >

> Although we got the BT4600 it as also had the same effect here - scam
> call count down to zero. We wouldn't even know most of the time save for
> the fact that we still have one phone (in silent mode) also on the line.
>
> There is however two things I don't like about the phone: it will not
> let you see the numbers that have been blocked; you cannot see the
> numbers you have permitted but without entering in the directory.

Yes, I can't find a blocked number list, only the calls that have
been blocked.

> Oh, and a third thing: horrible synthesized audio, audio quality that is
> nowhere near as good as our previous Panasonic kit, and it crackles like
> crazy for which I cannot figure a cause as it is on any phone but in one
> area of the house. Move a bit and the crackle disappears and it doesn't
> come back when you go back to the original location.

Call quality is fine on my set, though it doesn't get a lot of use.
I get most calls on my mobile.

www.GymRats.uk

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 17:49:536. 12. 21
do
On 06/12/2021 10:24, Graham J wrote:
Sounds like the Amazon gift card scam.
They ask you to log into your account, buy a £200 gift card which they
say is for verification purposes and the card will be refunded
immediately back to your account after verification. Of course
verification consits of giving them the gift card number...
Boom, you've just given them £200 (or whatever value they requested).

If you want to stop all junk, cold callers, scammers etc etc I found a
most excellent device a few years back that I fitted to my elderly
mothers phone when she almost got completely bank scammed.

CPR Call Blocker. I bought her the V5000 and set it up to block pretty
much everything that wasn't friends and family numbers.

At the time it could only blacklist numbers or number prefixes, all
internationa, all witheld etc but the latest version can blacklist or
whitelist. There's also the big red button which if you answer a new
junk call just hit the button and they're gone forever. :)

Highly recommended especially for the elderly.

Since going into a care home I've set her up a voipfone number with
caller black list. Works the same way as the CPR Call Blocker but easier
to manage, no extra boxes and fun to see how many scammer calls have
been blocked and sent to the anti-telemarketer message! :)

Cheers - Pete

David Rance

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 18:19:266. 12. 21
do
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 10:24:44 Graham J wrote:

>For the past week I've received calls at least every day purporting to
>come from Amazon. Nice female voice telling me that I've just ordered
>an iPhone or similar. Different phone number shown for every call.
>Calls start at about 7am and I receive 2 or 3 per day.
>
>I do have an account with Amazon, but this does not show any orders in
>progress, since I haven't bought anything from them for a few months.
>
>Is everybody getting these calls or is it just me?

Yes, I'm getting them as well, often starting at 7.0 in the morning.

David

Bob Eager

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 19:30:026. 12. 21
do
On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 22:55:43 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

> www.GymRats.uk <nor...@here.con> wrote:
>
>> Since going into a care home I've set her up a voipfone number with
>> caller black list.
>
> Really can’t see the point of blacklists. Scammers change their numbers
> all the time. Much easier to have a white list of all known numbers and
> divert all others to answerphone.

I have had some *very* persistent companies where it works well, although
generally I agree with you.

Making them negotiate a menu works pretty well.

I also have a 'greylist', although that probably is a confusing colour
choice. Anyone on that list hears it ring (6 beats), then they get the
voicemail. Every time. Great for people you have no interest in talking
to, but where outright rejection might cause waves (e.g. annoying
relatives).

Graham J

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 20:05:156. 12. 21
do
Woody wrote:

[snip]

>>> Several of the legitimate callers to my number are shown as unknown or
>>> withheld.  How would your nuisance all blocker deal with these?
>>>

>> If they’re not in the white list, they go to the answer phone or have to
>> announce their name first (depending on settings).  Scammers almost never
>> do.
>>
> Confirm they NEVER do as they have to give their name and then press #.

Going to the answerphone actually answers these spam calls. How do I
avoid that?

--
Graham J

Tim+

neprebran,
6. dec. 2021, 20:27:196. 12. 21
do
www.GymRats.uk <nor...@here.con> wrote:

> Since going into a care home I've set her up a voipfone number with
> caller black list.

Really can’t see the point of blacklists. Scammers change their numbers all
the time. Much easier to have a white list of all known numbers and divert
all others to answerphone.

Roderick Stewart

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 05:25:567. 12. 21
do
On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 20:37:19 +0000, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:
Don't use an answerphone, or if you must, use a spam blocking phone
such as a BT Callguard one that preceeds the invitation to record a
message with a request for the caller's name. Chances are that the
spammers won't bother and won't get as far as the anwerphone.

Rod.

Graham J

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 06:37:037. 12. 21
do
Anything that plays a message to the caller must by definition answer
the line.

Given that the Caller ID is either non-existant or untrustworthy, it
can't be used to screen calls. I see that a spam blocking phone can be
configured only to answer calls from whitelisted numbers, but there are
legitimate calls from people (e.g. the local doctor's surgery) which
withhold their number.

Can such as the BT Callguard be configured to answer "withheld" and
"whitelist" while ignoring "blacklist" and "unknown" numbers?

--
Graham J

Martin Brown

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 07:03:037. 12. 21
do
On 07/12/2021 00:06, Bob Eager wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2021 22:55:43 +0000, Tim+ wrote:
>
>> www.GymRats.uk <nor...@here.con> wrote:
>>
>>> Since going into a care home I've set her up a voipfone number with
>>> caller black list.
>>
>> Really can’t see the point of blacklists. Scammers change their numbers
>> all the time. Much easier to have a white list of all known numbers and
>> divert all others to answerphone.
>
> I have had some *very* persistent companies where it works well, although
> generally I agree with you.

Blocking entire exchanges can be helpful. Certain areas seem to
originate a lot of the spam calls and if you never get any legitimate
calls from there then why not? Killing individual numbers is a bit too
inefficient for my liking. Blacklists without wild cards fill up too fast.

NHS Test and Trace is an example where their choice of CLID could be
considered very ill advised. Many people black list 0300 numbers -
mostly telesales droids selling things you never want to buy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53752715

Whitelists *are* useful though for friends and family.

> Making them negotiate a menu works pretty well.
>
> I also have a 'greylist', although that probably is a confusing colour
> choice. Anyone on that list hears it ring (6 beats), then they get the
> voicemail. Every time. Great for people you have no interest in talking
> to, but where outright rejection might cause waves (e.g. annoying
> relatives).

One of my favourites if I inadvertently answer a scammer call (you can
generally tell by the routing delay at their end) is to answer with dead
air and leave the hapless droid going "hello", "HELLO", "*HELLO*"..
without ever saying a word. It really confuses them.

The other one with MS "support calls" I profess no understanding and go
off to get Fred who does the computer stuff leaving them hanging on the
line. That way they are not scamming someone else who might fall for it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Roderick Stewart

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 07:42:257. 12. 21
do
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:35:26 +0000, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:

>Roderick Stewart wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 20:37:19 +0000, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Woody wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Going to the answerphone actually answers these spam calls. How do I
>>> avoid that?
>>
>> Don't use an answerphone, or if you must, use a spam blocking phone
>> such as a BT Callguard one that preceeds the invitation to record a
>> message with a request for the caller's name. Chances are that the
>> spammers won't bother and won't get as far as the anwerphone.
>
>Anything that plays a message to the caller must by definition answer
>the line.

Yes, it "answers" in the technical sense that it makes an electrical
connection with the line, but a good spam blocking phone won't bother
you with it. In some circumstances it won't even ring and you won't
even know there has been a call unless you check the call log later.
This is the point of it: peace and quiet.

>Given that the Caller ID is either non-existant or untrustworthy, it
>can't be used to screen calls. I see that a spam blocking phone can be
>configured only to answer calls from whitelisted numbers, but there are
>legitimate calls from people (e.g. the local doctor's surgery) which
>withhold their number.
>
>Can such as the BT Callguard be configured to answer "withheld" and
>"whitelist" while ignoring "blacklist" and "unknown" numbers?

If Callguard doesn't recognise the caller, for whatever reason (either
CLI not given, or the caller not in the whitelist) it gives an
announcement asking the caller to give their name. If they say
something, the phone will ring with a different sound and the
recipient can choose what to do. If the recipient picks up the phone,
a recording says something like "You have a call from xxxxx" and then
plays a recording of whatever the caller said, and then pressing keys
will accept or reject the call. If the caller says nothing (which is
usual for spam calls) they get a recording telling them the call can't
be put through and the phone won't even ring. All calls will appear in
the call log as usual, with their numbers if available, otherwise as
unknown callers. Even at this point, if the number is shown, there is
an option to block it.

If the objective is not to be bothered by unwanted calls, it works.

Rod.

Java Jive

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 09:07:187. 12. 21
do
On 07/12/2021 11:35, Graham J wrote:

> I see that a spam blocking phone can be configured only to answer calls
> from whitelisted numbers, but there are legitimate calls from people
> (e.g. the local doctor's surgery) which withhold their number.

Here in Scotland, I have no landline, but my mobile phone recognises the
local surgery, both for texts and calls, surely your surgery should be
recognisable too?

Steve

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 09:23:107. 12. 21
do
Roderick Stewart wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 11:35:26 +0000, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> >Roderick Stewart wrote:

+1
Well explained.

Steve

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 09:26:177. 12. 21
do
Java Jive wrote:

> On 07/12/2021 11:35, Graham J wrote:
> >
> > I see that a spam blocking phone can be configured only to answer calls
> > from whitelisted numbers, but there are legitimate calls from people
> > (e.g. the local doctor's surgery) which withhold their number.
>
> Here in Scotland, I have no landline, but my mobile phone recognises the
> local surgery, both for texts and calls, surely your surgery should be
> recognisable too?

I worked for the NHS in London for a while and it was the policy at
the time there to withhold the number because of 'patient
confidentiality'. The problem with that is many people don't answer
calls from withheld numbers. Since leaving that job I've noticed
calls I get from my GP and from various hospitals the numbers are no
longer withheld. So I suppose it depends in what health authority
area you live in as to whether the number is withheld or not.

Graham J

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 10:19:497. 12. 21
do
Java Jive wrote:
> On 07/12/2021 11:35, Graham J wrote:
>>
>> I see that a spam blocking phone can be configured only to answer
>> calls from whitelisted numbers, but there are legitimate calls from
>> people (e.g. the local doctor's surgery) which withhold their number.
>
> Here in Scotland, I have no landline, but my mobile phone recognises the
> local surgery, both for texts and calls, surely your surgery should be
> recognisable too?

I think this is a policy change applied in Scotland. It certainly
hasn't reached rural Norfolk yet!

--
Graham J

Chris Green

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 10:48:037. 12. 21
do
I (we) must live in some sort of different world from you lot. We
have a standard (was BT, now Plusnet) landline number that has been
the same for 20+ years, loads of companies and web sites have our
number.

Yet we get maybe one junk/spam call a *week*, certainly we've never
had enough even to consider some sort of scam blocking system.

--
Chris Green
·

Abandoned_Trolley

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 11:05:207. 12. 21
do

> I (we) must live in some sort of different world from you lot. We
> have a standard (was BT, now Plusnet) landline number that has been
> the same for 20+ years, loads of companies and web sites have our
> number.
>
> Yet we get maybe one junk/spam call a *week*, certainly we've never
> had enough even to consider some sort of scam blocking system.

same here - in fact probably even less than one a week.

Having said that, my wife does seem to spend at least 3 hours a day on
the phone nattering to various relatives, sometimes watching complete TV
programmes "together" - so its possible that a whole generation of
spammers have heard nothing from us apart from the engaged tone.

Roderick Stewart

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 11:17:447. 12. 21
do
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 16:04:16 +0000, Abandoned_Trolley
<fr...@fred-smith.co.uk> wrote:

>> Yet we get maybe one junk/spam call a *week*, certainly we've never
>> had enough even to consider some sort of scam blocking system.
>>
>same here - in fact probably even less than one a week.

I guess you're both just lucky then. I can't remember exactly how many
spam calls I was getting before purchasing the Callguard phone, but it
was enough to be an annoyance, otherwise I might not have bothered.
I've no idea why some people should get more unwanted attention than
others, but that's the way it seems to be.

Rod.

Roger

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 12:41:387. 12. 21
do
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 14:24:58 -0000, Steve <lamma...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I worked for the NHS in London for a while and it was the policy at
>the time there to withhold the number because of 'patient
>confidentiality'. The problem with that is many people don't answer
>calls from withheld numbers. Since leaving that job I've noticed
>calls I get from my GP and from various hospitals the numbers are no
>longer withheld. So I suppose it depends in what health authority
>area you live in as to whether the number is withheld or not.

I live in an inner London borough. My GP surgery don't withhold
their number. I received a call from a hospital clinic which
presented 020 7504 5500. See:

https://www.cnwl.nhs.uk/news/new-number-when-we-call-you-replace-any-withheld-numbers
--
Roger

Tim+

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 13:56:117. 12. 21
do
Java Jive <ja...@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 07/12/2021 11:35, Graham J wrote:
>>
>> I see that a spam blocking phone can be configured only to answer calls
>> from whitelisted numbers, but there are legitimate calls from people
>> (e.g. the local doctor's surgery) which withhold their number.
>
> Here in Scotland, I have no landline, but my mobile phone recognises the
> local surgery, both for texts and calls, surely your surgery should be
> recognisable too?

Doctor’s surgeries and hospitals really shouldn’t there numbers. They
should at least give out a hospital or surgery switchboard number.

Given the number of people who only give out their mobile numbers and who
never answer withheld numbers, our local hospital realised that if they
want to contact patients, they would have to give out a number.

On a few very rare occasions where the police have wanted to phone me back,
they’ve always warned me that the incoming call will be a withheld number
so that I know to answer it (or turn off the call guard if ringing my
landline).

Steve

neprebran,
7. dec. 2021, 14:46:417. 12. 21
do
Looking at that website it looks like that may be a recent
development and a sensible one, too. When I lived in east London my
local health authority did withhold numbers as did the neighbouring
health authority that I worked in. The reason given to me was
"patient confidentiality". Fair enough I suppose for some of the
mental health and sexual health clinics, but as others have said
using the main switchboard number would have removed that possible
stigma embarrassment.
Where I live now NHS numbers aren't withheld.

notya...@gmail.com

neprebran,
9. dec. 2021, 05:54:209. 12. 21
do
On Tuesday, 7 December 2021 at 11:37:03 UTC, Graham J wrote:
> Roderick Stewart wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 20:37:19 +0000, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk>
SNIP

> > Don't use an answerphone, or if you must, use a spam blocking phone
> > such as a BT Callguard one that preceeds the invitation to record a
> > message with a request for the caller's name. Chances are that the
> > spammers won't bother and won't get as far as the anwerphone.
> Anything that plays a message to the caller must by definition answer
> the line.

Not at exchange level - recorded announcements (e.g. "number not recognised") do not answer the call nor initiate charging to the caller.

> Given that the Caller ID is either non-existant or untrustworthy, it
> can't be used to screen calls. I see that a spam blocking phone can be
> configured only to answer calls from whitelisted numbers, but there are
> legitimate calls from people (e.g. the local doctor's surgery) which
> withhold their number.

Some like GMP either just don't provide a number or more usefully have a [central] number that can at least be called back..

> Can such as the BT Callguard be configured to answer "withheld" and
> "whitelist" while ignoring "blacklist" and "unknown" numbers?

Look on their web site.

> --
> Graham J

Graham J

neprebran,
9. dec. 2021, 15:35:569. 12. 21
do
notya...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 December 2021 at 11:37:03 UTC, Graham J wrote:
>> Roderick Stewart wrote:
>>> On Mon, 6 Dec 2021 20:37:19 +0000, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk>
> SNIP
>>>
>>> Don't use an answerphone, or if you must, use a spam blocking phone
>>> such as a BT Callguard one that preceeds the invitation to record a
>>> message with a request for the caller's name. Chances are that the
>>> spammers won't bother and won't get as far as the anwerphone.
>> Anything that plays a message to the caller must by definition answer
>> the line.
>
> Not at exchange level - recorded announcements (e.g. "number not recognised") do not answer the call nor initiate charging to the caller.

In the context of unsavoury calls initiated by call centre systems, and
the earlier comments here: if they ring your line and you answer it,
your number is marked as a "live" victim and will be called again. So
the exchange level announcements you mention are not relevant - in fact
the more exchange level announcements there are, the more the
troublemakers will waste their time repeat calling the unrecognised numbers.

--
Graham J

Tim+

neprebran,
9. dec. 2021, 18:04:119. 12. 21
do
Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> notya...@gmail.com wrote:
>> SNIP

>>> Anything that plays a message to the caller must by definition answer
>>> the line.
>>
>> Not at exchange level - recorded announcements (e.g. "number not
>> recognised") do not answer the call nor initiate charging to the caller.
>

> In the context of unsavoury calls initiated by call centre systems, and
> the earlier comments here: if they ring your line and you answer it,
> your number is marked as a "live" victim and will be called again.

But with the BT call guard, they realise that you have a blocker straight
away and never leave a message so why would they bother marking it “live”?

Even if the do, I don’t give a monkey’s as my phone doesn’t even ring. I
reckon I’m performing a public service by wasting a tiny bit of their time.
;-)

Bob Eager

neprebran,
9. dec. 2021, 19:26:079. 12. 21
do
On Thu, 09 Dec 2021 20:35:41 +0000, Graham J wrote:

> In the context of unsavoury calls initiated by call centre systems, and
> the earlier comments here: if they ring your line and you answer it,
> your number is marked as a "live" victim and will be called again. So
> the exchange level announcements you mention are not relevant - in fact
> the more exchange level announcements there are, the more the
> troublemakers will waste their time repeat calling the unrecognised
> numbers.

If I get a call from a withheld number, they get the 'number not in
service' SIT, for a start.

Optimist

neprebran,
10. dec. 2021, 04:36:3710. 12. 21
do
Quite. The only spam calls I get lately all seem to originate from Bournemouth. I presume it is
the same spammer, but why they persist I have no idea as they are all caught by my Truecall phone.

Bob Eager

neprebran,
10. dec. 2021, 04:40:3310. 12. 21
do
On Fri, 10 Dec 2021 09:36:34 +0000, Optimist wrote:

> Quite. The only spam calls I get lately all seem to originate from
> Bournemouth. I presume it is the same spammer, but why they persist I
> have no idea as they are all caught by my Truecall phone.

Oh yes. They do move around the country though. Used to be all Canterbury.

It's the "your roof insulation is causing condensation" brigade.

notya...@gmail.com

neprebran,
11. dec. 2021, 07:41:2911. 12. 21
do
They used to be very predictable or even Bombay numbers presented nationally.

Gradually they have got more sophisticated, using varied area codes, often London, numbers in your own exchange, or in one case the called number. More recently they are mostly using mobile numbers, probably on the basis that the calls are more likely to be answered.

Some use numbers with UK providers, so that if you ring back you get a message. I email the provider requesting disconnection.

MB

neprebran,
13. dec. 2021, 09:12:4013. 12. 21
do
On 06/12/2021 10:24, Graham J wrote:
> Is everybody getting these calls or is it just me?
>
> Am I being targeted? Is this malicious?

About a week ago I was getting a call from someone about 0750h every
morning.

Usually as they ask me to confirm my name, I just ask who is calling.
Often unintelligable but if not anyone I know I hang up.

I had, for the first time, one claiming to be Scottish Postcode Lottery
but I usually have no idea who they are.

MB

neprebran,
13. dec. 2021, 09:19:3513. 12. 21
do
On 07/12/2021 14:07, Java Jive wrote:
> Here in Scotland, I have no landline, but my mobile phone recognises the
> local surgery, both for texts and calls, surely your surgery should be
> recognisable too?

In Scotland all NHS Scotland calls display the same 0800 number.

Only exception I had was when my medical centre pharmacist rang, she was
working from home and using a mobile. Confused me because she is
American so I presumed must be a junk call at first.

MB

neprebran,
13. dec. 2021, 09:22:3113. 12. 21
do
On 07/12/2021 18:56, Tim+ wrote:
> On a few very rare occasions where the police have wanted to phone me back,
> they’ve always warned me that the incoming call will be a withheld number
> so that I know to answer it (or turn off the call guard if ringing my
> landline).

I have found with organisations and companies with number withheld that
they just call on a mobile phone if they have problems.

Graham J

neprebran,
14. dec. 2021, 11:11:1414. 12. 21
do
Graham J wrote:
> For the past week I've received calls at least every day purporting to
> come from Amazon.  Nice female voice telling me that I've just ordered
> an iPhone or similar.  Different phone number shown for every call.
> Calls start at about 7am and I receive 2 or 3 per day.
>
> I do have an account with Amazon, but this does not show any orders in
> progress, since I haven't bought anything from them for a few months.
>
> Is everybody getting these calls or is it just me?
>
> Am I being targeted?  Is this malicious?

And in reply to my own post:

These calls all sound like the same female voice, pleasant, no regional
accent. The text she reads quotes the same order number - NZ032459 -
and probably the same product and price - I normally hang up before that
stage.

But they all come from different numbers - usually UK, sometimes foreign.

Has anybody else heard the same message and order number?

These all started at the beginning of December.

--
Graham J

notya...@gmail.com

neprebran,
14. dec. 2021, 11:17:5414. 12. 21
do
They get a professional recording as the lead in, but if you click to speak to someone, you get transferred to a con' artist[e] somewhere.

Mike

neprebran,
14. dec. 2021, 15:52:0514. 12. 21
do
In article <spafn1$84l$1...@dont-email.me>,
Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>> come from Amazon.  Nice female voice telling me that I've just ordered
>> an iPhone or similar.

>The text she reads quotes the same order number - NZ032459 -

Had one today, so I went back to check the audio ... :)

"Rachel" with order number "AMZ09852" for an iPhone 12 at £599.99 ...

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the order number (and name) is
randomly generated, rather than a fixed *audio* recording,
as in :- generated afresh each call.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk

Mike

neprebran,
15. dec. 2021, 07:52:0615. 12. 21
do
In article <spaund$36d$1...@posie.signal11.org.uk>,
Mike <m...@signal11.org.uk> wrote:
>In article <spafn1$84l$1...@dont-email.me>,
>Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>>> come from Amazon.  Nice female voice telling me that I've just ordered
>>> an iPhone or similar.
>
>>The text she reads quotes the same order number - NZ032459 -

>"Rachel" with order number "AMZ09852" for an iPhone 12 at £599.99 ...
>
>I wouldn't be surprised to find that the order number (and name) is
>randomly generated, rather than a fixed *audio* recording,
>as in :- generated afresh each call.

As if to prove the point, an unnamed female "Customer Service"
tried again today with AMZ032459 for an iPhone 11 Pro for £799 ...

Oh, look, there's YOUR order number ;)

Graham J

neprebran,
15. dec. 2021, 11:08:0715. 12. 21
do
Mike wrote:
> In article <spaund$36d$1...@posie.signal11.org.uk>,
> Mike <m...@signal11.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> The text she reads quotes the same order number - NZ032459 -
>
>> "Rachel" with order number "AMZ09852" for an iPhone 12 at £599.99 ...
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised to find that the order number (and name) is
>> randomly generated, rather than a fixed *audio* recording,
>> as in :- generated afresh each call.
>
> As if to prove the point, an unnamed female "Customer Service"
> tried again today with AMZ032459 for an iPhone 11 Pro for £799 ...
>
> Oh, look, there's YOUR order number ;)

Yes, that's the same as the ones I get - didn't hear the initial A when
I first mad a note of it - and it's the same product & price.

The voice is probably an actress - anybody recognise her?

--
Graham J
0 novih sporočil