Cliff Stanford RIP

lew

Mar 4, 2022, 11:48:26 AM3/4/22
As reported in today's Times newspaper, Stanford died on February 24th
of pancreatic cancer aged 67.

Stanford created Demon Internet in 1992 using the then unusual crowd
funding technique of "tenner a month". It was a major stimulus to the
rise of the internet in the UK. When he sold Demon to Scottish Telecom
in 1998 for £66 million it had 230,000 subscribers.

He was born Clifford Speigel and changed it as an adult because it was
easier for others to spell and, according to his obituary, "he used it
to take a new driving test because his original driving licence was
awash with points."

--
Lew

Woody

Mar 4, 2022, 12:38:12 PM3/4/22
Demon was the first ISP I had on dial-up and it was reliable and rock
solid. Those were the days.

Roderick Stewart

Mar 5, 2022, 4:28:42 AM3/5/22
On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 17:38:10 +0000, Woody <harro...@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
All their dial-up phone numbers ended in 666, and their servers were
called things like "styx" or "hades". I remember this was the reason
for the Church of England deciding not to use them.

Rod.

Adrian Caspersz

Mar 6, 2022, 4:59:55 AM3/6/22
On 05/03/2022 09:28, Roderick Stewart wrote:

> All their dial-up phone numbers ended in 666, and their servers were
> called things like "styx" or "hades". I remember this was the reason
> for the Church of England deciding not to use them.

Catholic church did. My parish used to have a website with demon in the
URL ;-)

--
Adrian C

Bob Eager

Mar 6, 2022, 5:31:28 AM3/6/22
We have an internal number on the phone system that allows us to unlock
the front door from our bedside when the sons roll in late without keys.

It is: 666