Advice please

Dan

Dec 12, 2020, 8:21:59 AM12/12/20
I bought a Asus RTAX88U router this year from PC world, it comes with
a 3 year guarantee. A few days ago, the WAN port was not picking up a
DHCP. I spoke to Asus who after a long conversation said WAN port had
failed. I then rang PC worlds tech support line who agreed that it was
faulty.Got a return number fpm PC world and their customer services
said that a new router is in stock at my local store. I can take back
faulty unit and swap it for a new one.

I went there, manager said I have to have a PC world credit note.
I refused and mentioned the trade description act that the guarantee
is with you after he said that it is with Asus and since it is under a
year old I am entitled to a refund. He said that I am only entitled a
store credit which I replied I am entitled a replacement or a full
refund under British law. Eventually another sales assistant ordered a
new one and gave me proof that it had been ordered. They took the
faulty unit.

So what else can I do? Is the 3 year guarantee with PC world in its
entirety or only the first year? I would like a full refund and buy it
from Amazon instead.

Andy Burns

Dec 12, 2020, 9:09:09 AM12/12/20
Dan wrote:

> the WAN port was not picking up a DHCP

Does the WAN port show a link light if you plug it into a different
ethernet device?

if you put a static IP address on the WAN port, and the another device
in the same subnet, can those two devices ping each other?

Dan

Dec 12, 2020, 10:04:48 AM12/12/20
On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 14:09:04 +0000, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk>
wrote:
No lights at all.

Graham J

Dec 12, 2020, 11:03:04 AM12/12/20
If Asus agree that the device is faulty then discussion here about the
nature of the fault is irrelevant.

It might have helped to have had a document from Asus confirming that
the device is faulty and instructing the seller to replace it.

But "a new router is in stock at my local store" and "ordered a new one"
suggests that PC World have a useless stock control system.

Given that you allowed them to order a replacement and gave them the
faulty unit you're in no position to negotiate - unless and until they
fail to supply you with the replacement. Also ...

<https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act>

... explains the law. The retailer's warranty is only worth pursuing if
it gives you better terms than the Consumer Rights Act. Assuming you
have had the device for more than 30 days and you can show that it is
"of unsatisfactory quality" - the document from Asus confirming the
fault should help with this - then the retailer's obligations are
"repair or replace" with the exceptions shown in the link.

I doubt that you would get any better service from Amazon. You
certainly could not talk to anybody about it!

Probably you should choose a reputable supplier in the future.

Some years ago when I ran a small business I bought several PCs
manufactured by Asus, for resale to customers. The all failed within
about 18 months with slightly different symptoms. I suspected failing
motherboard components. So I learned to stay well clear of anything
made by Asus.

--
Graham J

Dan

Dec 12, 2020, 11:09:45 AM12/12/20
On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 16:02:53 +0000, Graham J <nob...@nowhere.co.uk>
wrote:
I spoke to Asus on the phone, so I have no documentation from them.
Yes, PC world is trying to play with me as regards the replacement, I
will have to see until next week which was the time given to me by PC
world (Wednesday the latest).
So what reputable supplier do you recommend?

Jeff Gaines

Dec 12, 2020, 11:58:21 AM12/12/20
On 12/12/2020 in message <7lq9tfhrieaf9eq1b...@4ax.com> Dan
wrote:

>So what reputable supplier do you recommend?

I may research elsewhere but I pretty well purchase exclusively from
Amazon now and I've never had a problem with returns, even for a couple of
market place items where the seller was playing silly buggers. You can
also chat to them on:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/contact-us

If necessary.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Dan

Dec 12, 2020, 12:09:19 PM12/12/20
On 12 Dec 2020 16:58:19 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>On 12/12/2020 in message <7lq9tfhrieaf9eq1b...@4ax.com> Dan
>wrote:
>
>>So what reputable supplier do you recommend?
>
>I may research elsewhere but I pretty well purchase exclusively from
>Amazon now and I've never had a problem with returns, even for a couple of
>market place items where the seller was playing silly buggers. You can
>also chat to them on:
>
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/contact-us
>
>If necessary.

Thanks, I will. Amazon have been so far exceptionally good with their
customer service.

Allan

Dec 14, 2020, 11:21:39 AM12/14/20
Depends who is offering the warranty (Asus or PC World).
Usually, retailer warranty is 6 months or a year (under UK law).
If the manufacturer wants to offer longer, then that's up to the
manufacturer, and your warranty claim is with them.
Might depend on an agreement between Asus and PC World.

notya...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2020, 9:20:05 AM12/15/20
Sometimes it is the manufacturer who offers a longer warranty - e.g. AEG cookers or Samsung fridge-freezers - other times it is the retailer - e.g. 6 years on most TV's from Richer Sounds.

Dan

Dec 16, 2020, 3:11:02 AM12/16/20
True, RS is superb.

David Rance

Dec 16, 2020, 4:04:48 AM12/16/20
As long as they deliver what you've ordered and paid for! :-(

David

Andrew

Dec 17, 2020, 10:01:54 AM12/17/20
And if you don't claim on your RS warranty, they give you the premium
back too !.

Dan

Dec 18, 2020, 1:53:59 AM12/18/20
I did not know that. Thanks a lot!!