All in one bundle

Koopa

Apr 5, 2022, 12:14:58 PM4/5/22

Got an email from my Fibre broadband and home phone provider today. They
are offering unlimited 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband, home phone and 1GB
mobile data with 250 mins of UK and ROI calls plus 250 worldwide texts for
£ 45.86 a month.

Currently paying £ 46.11 for just 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband and home phone
so it seems like a no brainer. Never use mobile data or make many calls but
for no extra cost it would be handy to have.

Andy Burns

Apr 5, 2022, 12:22:10 PM4/5/22
Koopa wrote:

> Got an email from my Fibre broadband and home phone provider today. They
> are offering unlimited 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband, home phone and 1GB
> mobile data with 250 mins of UK and ROI calls plus 250 worldwide texts for
> £ 45.86 a month.
>
> Currently paying £ 46.11 for just 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband and home phone
> so it seems like a no brainer.

So a saving of under 50p, how much longer does that tie you in for?

1GBdata+250mins+250sms is not really very generous these days on a mobile
contract, if you don't use much, fair enough I suppose.

Koopa

Apr 5, 2022, 12:26:02 PM4/5/22
Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> So a saving of under 50p, how much longer does that tie you in for?
>
> 1GBdata+250mins+250sms is not really very generous these days on a mobile
> contract, if you don't use much, fair enough I suppose.

You have to agree to a new 24 month contract. 1GB data would be fine for me
most places I go have free Wi-Fi, and 250 mins free calls is good as I
occasionally make a call on my home phone as it’s cheaper than my current
mobile. So I would save a few pennies there too.

Theo

Apr 5, 2022, 12:29:22 PM4/5/22
Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Koopa wrote:
>
> > Got an email from my Fibre broadband and home phone provider today. They
> > are offering unlimited 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband, home phone and 1GB
> > mobile data with 250 mins of UK and ROI calls plus 250 worldwide texts for
> > £ 45.86 a month.
> >
> > Currently paying £ 46.11 for just 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband and home phone
> > so it seems like a no brainer.
>
> So a saving of under 50p, how much longer does that tie you in for?

It is worth benchmarking that by going to their site as a 'new customer'
(put in the address of your neighbours) and see what deal they're offering.
It may be better than the one in the email.

You may be able to wangle that deal if you threaten to leave them,
especially if you point out that $competition have a better deal than you're
currently one.

(I think it was Virgin who was sly and didn't show the new customer deals to
people connecting to their website from Virgin IP addresses. Easily solved
by going to the site on your phone)

Theo

Adrian Caspersz

Apr 5, 2022, 12:33:14 PM4/5/22
I'm struggling to see a use of 500 mbit/s.

But ...

How many megabits does a home teleport unit require to reliably transfer
all of ya DNA and speedily clone it at the other end fully error
corrected of course?

What handshake protocol should be implemented so that as two copies of
yourself should not be in existence at the same time, one can be
reliably terminated without fear?

--
Adrian C

notya...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2022, 12:40:45 PM4/5/22
On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 at 17:22:10 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
> Koopa wrote:
>
> > Got an email from my Fibre broadband and home phone provider today. They
> > are offering unlimited 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband, home phone and 1GB
> > mobile data with 250 mins of UK and ROI calls plus 250 worldwide texts for
> > £ 45.86 a month.
> >
> > Currently paying £ 46.11 for just 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband and home phone
> > so it seems like a no brainer.

So why do you need 500mbps? Is it a large office?

> So a saving of under 50p, how much longer does that tie you in for?
>
> 1GBdata+250mins+250sms is not really very generous these days on a mobile
> contract, if you don't use much, fair enough I suppose.

Roughly equivalent to the cheapest deal on Uswitch - usually a fiver, but sometime £3.95p pm

Koopa

Apr 5, 2022, 12:43:49 PM4/5/22
notya...@gmail.com <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 at 17:22:10 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Koopa wrote:
>>
>>> Got an email from my Fibre broadband and home phone provider today. They
>>> are offering unlimited 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband, home phone and 1GB
>>> mobile data with 250 mins of UK and ROI calls plus 250 worldwide texts for
>>> £ 45.86 a month.
>>>
>>> Currently paying £ 46.11 for just 500 mbit/s Fibre broadband and home phone
>>> so it seems like a no brainer.
>
> So why do you need 500mbps? Is it a large office?

It’s the slowest they offer, also have a gigabit available which really is
overkill.

Tweed

Apr 5, 2022, 12:44:14 PM4/5/22
Also worth seeing what the price inflation policy is. Zen promise never to
raise prices, and after a few years that makes a significant difference. In
general I find bundling mobile and fixed broadband to be a bad thing, as it
makes it much harder to threaten to leave either service.

Martin Brown

Apr 5, 2022, 5:33:13 PM4/5/22
On 05/04/2022 17:14, Koopa wrote:

Out of curiosity what actual download speeds are you seeing on your
nominally 500Mbps fibre link? Mine maxed out at 300Mbps so I opted to
roll back to getting 99% of the cheaper 150Mbps service instead.

1GB of mobile data is an annoyingly small amount.
But still too much if you never use any of it!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Bob Eager

Apr 5, 2022, 6:49:30 PM4/5/22
500 millibits/s is very slow.

Koopa

Apr 6, 2022, 1:37:30 AM4/6/22
Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote:

> Out of curiosity what actual download speeds are you seeing on your
> nominally 500Mbps fibre link? Mine maxed out at 300Mbps so I opted to
> roll back to getting 99% of the cheaper 150Mbps service instead.

I’ve got a gigabit service temporarily due to people working from home due
to COVID and I’ve had 107 MB/s when installing a game on Origin.

Here’s a video showing this speed when downloading a test file
https://youtu.be/Lhbh7BtTodQ

Brian Gregory

Apr 9, 2022, 2:19:04 PM4/9/22
So 856Mb/s. Pretty impressive.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Koopa

Apr 11, 2022, 8:18:44 AM4/11/22
Brian Gregory <void-invalid...@email.invalid> wrote:

> So 856Mb/s. Pretty impressive.

Yeah when you get a connection speed like that it chews through the
Gigabytes.

Koopa

Apr 18, 2022, 4:26:44 AM4/18/22
notya...@gmail.com <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1GBdata+250mins+250sms is not really very generous these days on a mobile
>> contract, if you don't use much, fair enough I suppose.
>
> Roughly equivalent to the cheapest deal on Uswitch - usually a fiver, but
> sometime £3.95p pm

If you occasionally need more data you can get 25GB for £ 10, 50GB for £ 15
or 100GB for £ 25 these are one off data boosters lasting a month I
presume.