changing IP address of FTTC connection

Alfred

Jan 8, 2022, 9:42:50 PM1/8/22
I have FTTC with Plusnet. I used to change my WAN IP address very
easily, just dropping and reconnecting. In a LEDE/OpenWRT router it's
very easy to do. I just log in to the router and type

root@LEDE:~# ifdown wan; ifup wan

Sometimes I had to retry a few times to get a different IP, but in a
matter of minutes I was able to get a different IP address.

However, for the past week the method does not work anymore, even if I
drop the connection for 12 hours.

With all the privacy invasions and silly banning policies that exist
nowadays changing the IP is becoming a necessity.

Does anybody have any suggestions for gettign the broadband IP to change?
If not possible I would be grateful for VPN suggestions.

Alfred

Jan 8, 2022, 10:08:57 PM1/8/22
I have FTTC with Plusnet. I used to change my WAN IP address very
easily, just dropping and reconnecting. In my LEDE/OpenWRT router (a
BT homehub) is very easy to do. I just ssh to the router and type

Woody

Jan 9, 2022, 3:45:14 AM1/9/22
Why should you want or need to change your external IP address? I am on
VM and my non-static IP address has not changed in at least a decade and
it causes me no problem. I just have good Internet Security (I have been
using Kaspersky for longer than I can remember) and do not use the
default internal NAT addressing structure. Like your trials, even when
my B/B was down for a couple of days after some idiot piled the street
cab with his battering ram (car) the address still did not change.

Martin Brown

Jan 9, 2022, 3:46:43 AM1/9/22
On 09/01/2022 02:41, Alfred wrote:
> I have FTTC with Plusnet. I used to change my WAN IP address very
> easily, just dropping and reconnecting. In a LEDE/OpenWRT router it's
> very easy to do. I just log in to the router and type
>
> root@LEDE:~# ifdown wan; ifup wan
>
> Sometimes I had to retry a few times to get a different IP, but in a
> matter of minutes I was able to get a different IP address.

Strange.

Most serious internet users pay good money to have a *fixed* IP address.
That way you don't get affected by the misdeeds of other users of your
ISP getting some of the pool of possible IP addresses onto blacklists.

> However, for the past week the method does not work anymore, even if I
> drop the connection for 12 hours.
>
> With all the privacy invasions and silly banning policies that exist
> nowadays changing the IP is becoming a necessity.

Sounds like you are a habitual bad guy getting your IP address blocked
and then throwing it back into the pool for some poor sucker to get.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andy Burns

Jan 9, 2022, 4:13:04 AM1/9/22
Alfred wrote:

> With all the privacy invasions and silly banning policies that exist
> nowadays changing the IP is becoming a necessity.

Strange, I have had the same IP address(es) since 2004, it's one of the few
things that keeps me with my ISP.

> Does anybody have any suggestions
Maybe avoid doing stuff that gets you banned?

David Wade

Jan 9, 2022, 4:31:29 AM1/9/22
On 09/01/2022 02:41, Alfred wrote:
VPN generally increases risk of banning policy. No VPN provider has one
IP per customer, therefore the IP you are presenting to the external
world is shared with a load of folks who are trying to hide their IP
address. In the unlikely even one of them misbehaves you may find you
are banned....

ExpressVPN works fine most of the time, but occasionally the BBC block it...

... if you want "free" probably none that will carry a decent level of
traffic...

Dave

Chris Green

Jan 9, 2022, 4:33:03 AM1/9/22
I have a static (i.e. fixed) IP address on Plusnet FTTC, I've not
noticed any significant "privacy invasions" or "banning policies"
affecting me.

--
Chris Green
·

Graham J

Jan 9, 2022, 4:34:08 AM1/9/22
Plusnet will sell you a fixed IP for a on-off payment of £5. One of the
reasons for choosing Plusnet.

A potential problem with a dynamic address (and a common feature of
mobile internet connections) is that it may come from a CGNAT pool which
means it could be shared with hundreds of other users - and that IP then
may get blocked. Dropping the connection and re-connecting usually gets
a different IP from another pool, which of course is equally likely to
have been abused.

--
Graham J

Graham J

Jan 9, 2022, 4:51:51 AM1/9/22
Graham J wrote:

> Plusnet will sell you a fixed IP for a on-off payment of £5.  One of the
> reasons for choosing Plusnet.
"one-off" - sorry

Graham J

Graham J

Jan 9, 2022, 4:57:08 AM1/9/22
David Wade wrote:
> On 09/01/2022 02:41, Alfred wrote:
>> I have FTTC with Plusnet.  I used to change my WAN IP address very
>> easily, just dropping and reconnecting. In a LEDE/OpenWRT router it's
>> very easy to do.  I just log in to the router and type
>>
>> root@LEDE:~# ifdown wan; ifup wan
>>
>> Sometimes I had to retry a few times to get a different IP, but in a
>> matter of minutes I was able to get a different IP address.
>>
>> However, for the past week the method does not work anymore, even if I
>> drop the connection for 12 hours.
>>
>> With all the privacy invasions and silly banning policies that exist
>> nowadays changing the IP is becoming a necessity.
>>
>> Does anybody have any suggestions for gettign the broadband IP to change?
>> If not possible I would be grateful for VPN suggestions.
>
> VPN generally increases risk of banning policy. No VPN provider has one
> IP per customer, therefore the IP you are presenting to the external
> world is shared with a load of folks who are trying to hide their IP
> address. In the unlikely even one of them misbehaves you may find you
> are banned....

See: https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/l2tp-service/ from £10 per month

But the whole point of this is to get you a static IP address when your
ISP cannot provide one. So I think the OP is misguided or worse ...

--
Graham J

Andy Burns

Jan 9, 2022, 5:00:08 AM1/9/22
Graham J wrote:

> Plusnet will sell you a fixed IP for a on-off payment of £5.  One of the reasons
> for choosing Plusnet.

They gave me 8 for nowt :-)

Bob Eager

Jan 9, 2022, 6:37:57 AM1/9/22
On Sun, 09 Jan 2022 09:13:00 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

> Strange, I have had the same IP address(es) since 2004, it's one of the
> few things that keeps me with my ISP.

Same here. Since 2002, in fact.

Bob Eager

Jan 9, 2022, 6:38:54 AM1/9/22
My ISP gave me 72 for nowt...!

Chris Green

Jan 9, 2022, 7:18:04 AM1/9/22
I rather like on-off! :-)

I have a £5 PlusNet static address, it must be one of the cheapest
around.

--
Chris Green
·

David Wade

Jan 9, 2022, 8:16:04 AM1/9/22
I have a static from PLUS Net but I don't remember paying...

Dave

Alfred

Jan 9, 2022, 5:16:50 PM1/9/22
>> However, for the past week the method does not work anymore, even if I
>> drop the connection for 12 hours.
>>
>> With all the privacy invasions and silly banning policies that exist
>> nowadays changing the IP is becoming a necessity.
>
> Sounds like you are a habitual bad guy getting your IP address blocked
> and then throwing it back into the pool for some poor sucker to get.

Bad guys are not the only people that need to change their IP.

These days you get banned for trivialities. In my case for example I
get banned from http://aur.archlinux.org because I do an automated
update of a few hundred packages with an script every six months.
The overzealous admins intended that site for casual interactive use.

Throwing the banned IP to the pool is harmless as it happens they
happen for servers with few users. In my case it would be improbable
that the next people using that IP would connect again to aur.archlinux.org.
Google would not do those bans as people would stop using their services.

Martin Brown

Jan 10, 2022, 5:08:00 AM1/10/22
On 09/01/2022 22:15, Alfred wrote:
>>> However, for the past week the method does not work anymore, even if I
>>> drop the connection for 12 hours.
>>>
>>> With all the privacy invasions and silly banning policies that exist
>>> nowadays changing the IP is becoming a necessity.
>>
>> Sounds like you are a habitual bad guy getting your IP address blocked
>> and then throwing it back into the pool for some poor sucker to get.
>
> Bad guys are not the only people that need to change their IP.

Yes they are. You are abusing their forum and annoying the admins.
Either talk to the admins and agree a way forward that does not cause
them so much grief or find a better way to do it!

> These days you get banned for trivialities. In my case for example I
> get banned from http://aur.archlinux.org because I do an automated
> update of a few hundred packages with an script every six months.
> The overzealous admins intended that site for casual interactive use.

Add a few longish random delays to your script then and let it run over
a couple of days. Problem solved.

> Throwing the banned IP to the pool is harmless as it happens they
> happen for servers with few users. In my case it would be improbable
> that the next people using that IP would connect again to aur.archlinux.org.
> Google would not do those bans as people would stop using their services.

It is annoying to find yourself with a blacklisted IP address where all
mail to major ISPs and mail providers is dropped on the floor. These
days they tend not to bounce to avoid backscatter of forged spam.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Bob Eager

Jan 10, 2022, 5:26:20 AM1/10/22
On Mon, 10 Jan 2022 10:07:57 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

>> These days you get banned for trivialities. In my case for example I
>> get banned from http://aur.archlinux.org because I do an automated
>> update of a few hundred packages with an script every six months. The
>> overzealous admins intended that site for casual interactive use.
>
> Add a few longish random delays to your script then and let it run over
> a couple of days. Problem solved.

As simple as a flag to wget, if that is being used.

Graham J

Jan 10, 2022, 7:24:47 AM1/10/22
Martin Brown wrote:

[snip]

> It is annoying to find yourself with a blacklisted IP address where all
> mail to major ISPs and mail providers is dropped on the floor. These
> days they tend not to bounce to avoid backscatter of forged spam.

This often happens with mobile internet connections that use CGNAT,
because your public IP is shared with hundreds if not thousands of other
users. The solution is to get a static IP, which is yours and yours
alone. Then you are wholly responsible for all the traffic.

If your traffic pattern is unacceptable to some providers, then find out
why and resolve it.

I see that this might be a problem if you live under a repressive
regime, but as yet the UK is probably not quite that repressive.

--
Graham J

Alfred

Jan 10, 2022, 9:33:12 AM1/10/22
In my case the solution is not so simple as a delay. I am querying
the database for a recursive tree of depencies, and I end up querying
the same package several times.

The most elegant solution would be to cache the HTTPS traffic as it
was done in the olden days with HTTP and SQUID. But, alas, the HTTPS
protocol makes difficult to cache content.

Theo

Jan 10, 2022, 11:18:27 AM1/10/22
Alfred <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> In my case the solution is not so simple as a delay. I am querying
> the database for a recursive tree of depencies, and I end up querying
> the same package several times.
>
> The most elegant solution would be to cache the HTTPS traffic as it
> was done in the olden days with HTTP and SQUID. But, alas, the HTTPS
> protocol makes difficult to cache content.

Can't you set a local cache? eg run Squid on port 8080 and then:

export http_proxy=http://localhost:8080/
export https_proxy=http://localhost:8080/
export use_proxy=on
wget https://example.com/whatever.html

It's not a transparent proxy that sits as a man-in-the-middle between HTTPS
connections coming out of your client/browser and HTTPS going out to the
target site (which you can't do because of certificates), but you can still
use it to indirect client requests. I think it should work for the
connection to the proxy to be HTTP rather than HTTPS.

Also, I don't know if wget, curl or friends can have any local caching.
wget -r does in a way, because it won't re-fetch files it's always fetched -
maybe there's a way to make that persistent over runs?

Theo

Marco Moock

Jan 11, 2022, 12:44:26 AM1/11/22
Am Samstag, 08. Januar 2022, um 21:08:54 Uhr schrieb Alfred:

> Does anybody have any suggestions for gettign the broadband IP to
> change? If not possible I would be grateful for VPN suggestions.

It depends how you establish the connection.
Do you need to do establish a PPP connection or something else?

Also the provider can assign the same IPv4 address and the same IPv6
prefix again if you reconnect.

Martin Brown

Jan 11, 2022, 1:04:29 PM1/11/22
On 10/01/2022 12:24, Graham J wrote:
> Martin Brown wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> It is annoying to find yourself with a blacklisted IP address where
>> all mail to major ISPs and mail providers is dropped on the floor.
>> These days they tend not to bounce to avoid backscatter of forged spam.
>
> This often happens with mobile internet connections that use CGNAT,
> because your public IP is shared with hundreds if not thousands of other
> users.  The solution is to get a static IP, which is yours and yours
> alone.  Then you are wholly responsible for all the traffic.

It doesn't bother me particularly but it does some of my not especially
computer savvy friends in micro businesses like horticulture. I no
longer have a fixed IP address but I used to in the good old days.

> If your traffic pattern is unacceptable to some providers, then find out
> why and resolve it.

It still seems to happen though an to internet non-cognescenti who I
don't think are ever likely to be doing anything that would attract
attention to them. They are just getting lumbered with a marked as bad
IP address from time to time when they drop the line and reconnect.

Line drops are quite common where I live and it is mostly micro
businesses that seem to suffer this fate (or rather notice if they do).

It doesn't help that some of them also have misconfigured SPF records
(set up by their ISP) for good measure. That also causes emails to be
dropped on the floor for hard/soft SPF fail sometimes without warning.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Brian Gregory

Jan 11, 2022, 1:47:50 PM1/11/22
On 09/01/2022 08:45, Woody wrote:
> Why should you want or need to change your external IP address? I am on
> VM and my non-static IP address has not changed in at least a decade and
> it causes me no problem. I just have good Internet Security (I have been
> using Kaspersky for longer than I can remember) and do not use the
> default internal NAT addressing structure. Like your trials, even when
> my B/B was down for a couple of days after some idiot piled the street
> cab with his battering ram (car) the address still did not change.

Same here.
My IP address never changes.
I like it that way. No more finding I'm mysteriously banned from
something because the previous user of the IP misbehaved.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Richard Tobin

Jan 11, 2022, 4:00:09 PM1/11/22
In article <j3vq16...@mid.individual.net>,
Any decent ISP nowadays will give you 2^80 or thereabouts.

-- Richard

Andy Burns

Jan 11, 2022, 4:14:46 PM1/11/22
Richard Tobin wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> They gave me 8 for nowt :-)
>
> Any decent ISP nowadays will give you 2^80 or thereabouts.

For that, plusnet would have to start using IPv6, wonder whether that'll happen
before they support FTTP?

www.GymRats.uk

Jan 20, 2022, 8:15:49 AM1/20/22
On 09/01/2022 02:41, Alfred wrote:
> I have FTTC with Plusnet. I used to change my WAN IP address very
> easily, just dropping and reconnecting. In a LEDE/OpenWRT router it's
> very easy to do. I just log in to the router and type
>
> root@LEDE:~# ifdown wan; ifup wan
>
> Sometimes I had to retry a few times to get a different IP, but in a
> matter of minutes I was able to get a different IP address.
>
> However, for the past week the method does not work anymore, even if I
> drop the connection for 12 hours.
>
> With all the privacy invasions and silly banning policies that exist
> nowadays changing the IP is becoming a necessity.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions for gettign the broadband IP to change?
> If not possible I would be grateful for VPN suggestions.

ProtonVPN
You can set up a free account with limited countries and servers but
it'll give you something that works or you can upgrade if you want
greater availability.
https://protonvpn.com/pricing