Re: Gmail email down now?

Chris Green

Nov 12, 2021, 4:48:08 AM11/12/21
NY <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> Just when Plusnet are starting to get their mail server running on all four
> cylinders, it looks as if Gmail are having problems. Their POP server is
> giving "your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection" on both
> Windows Live Mail / Windows 7 and Thunderbird / Windows 10.
>
> Some computer deity is having a laugh ;-)

All these issues make me steadily happier that I run my own SMTP
server at home and thus I never depend on POP or IMAP servers for
collecting my mail. It just gets delivered to my server, if there are
problems on the way then all the intermediate SMTP servers are
designed to handle the delays and back off and try again. All the
E-Mail that I get is instantly available because it's on my home
server. If the ISP's SMTP 'smart hub' goes down then *my* SMTP server
will handle the delays, again I never notice, mail gets 'sent'
instantly too.

--
Chris Green
·

NY

Nov 12, 2021, 5:06:23 AM11/12/21

Andy Burns

Nov 12, 2021, 5:06:30 AM11/12/21
NY wrote:

> Just when Plusnet are starting to get their mail server running on all four
> cylinders, it looks as if Gmail are having problems. Their POP server is giving
> "your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection"

On TB with POP, gmail is just saying "searching ..." for me

finally it's popped up "connection reset"

Andy Burns

Nov 12, 2021, 5:19:59 AM11/12/21
NY wrote:

> Just when Plusnet are starting to get their mail server running on all four
> cylinders, it looks as if Gmail are having problems.

Google either have bigger hammers, or people who know better where to 'it it,
working again ...

Andy Burns

Nov 12, 2021, 5:24:16 AM11/12/21
NY wrote:

> Some computer deity is having a laugh ;-)

ok, from d-i-y that "someone" is you, I wasn't sure :-)

Bob Eager

Nov 12, 2021, 7:43:27 AM11/12/21
Exactly.

Woody

Nov 12, 2021, 7:49:22 AM11/12/21
Now 12:48 and mine is working perfectly on POP3 with TB/W10Pro.

Mark Carver

Nov 12, 2021, 9:56:21 AM11/12/21
On 12/11/2021 09:17, NY wrote:
> Just when Plusnet are starting to get their mail server running on all
> four cylinders, it looks as if Gmail are having problems. Their POP
> server is giving "your server has unexpectedly terminated the
> connection" on both Windows Live Mail / Windows 7 and Thunderbird /
> Windows 10.

Yes, I failed to get any IMAP connection on Thunderbird. Then I tried my
wife's PC which uses Outlook; the same.
I then assumed it was something to do with my Plusnet connection, and
IMAP traffic was being blocked, so then I tried connecting via 4G.
The same. Only then did I suspect gmail themselves, and I was just about
to investigate further when a bit of Daily Mail 'click bait' popped up
on my phone to confirm it was at gmail's end !

Marco Moock

Nov 13, 2021, 3:00:20 AM11/13/21
Am Fri, 12 Nov 2021 09:17:20 -0000
schrieb "NY" <m...@privacy.invalid>:

> Just when Plusnet are starting to get their mail server running on
> all four cylinders, it looks as if Gmail are having problems. Their
> POP server is giving "your server has unexpectedly terminated the
> connection" on both Windows Live Mail / Windows 7 and Thunderbird /
> Windows 10.

Yesterday GMail also had problems with receiving mail from other
providers. The fault was on Google's side.