Anyone having e-mail problems with VM?

Woody

Oct 10, 2021, 11:30:19 AM10/10/21
I use Thunderbird (POP3) for e-mail but also have OEClassic (also POP3)
on my system.

On Friday I ordered some coffee from Lavazza, but unfortunately two
orders were place one of which was not required (faulty.) I received a
confirmation e-mail for the faulty order but not for the correct order.

This afternoon I have placed an order on John Lewis and paid by PayPal.
I have received the confirmation from PayPal but not from John Lewis.

This is the good bit: if I go on VM webmail all four mails are present.
If I open OEClassic it too gets all four mails. All four e-mails were
using the same e-mail account.

Can anyone guide me as to the likely problem (which is new I should add)
or indeed has anyone come across this same issue. I am running
Thunderbird 91.2.0 under W10Pro.

TIA

Malcolm Loades

Oct 10, 2021, 2:04:14 PM10/10/21
The obvious thought is do you have any routeing/filtering rules in TB
which might catch the mail?

Clearly the mail is accepted by VM and clearly it can be collected from
VM by an email client other than TB. My suspicions are much more on TB
than VM.

Malcolm

Woody

Oct 10, 2021, 2:44:44 PM10/10/21
Agreed, except that I have had no trouble of this kind in about 4 years
use. That is why I suspect the latest update has done something.....

Andy Burns

Oct 10, 2021, 3:23:09 PM10/10/21
Woody wrote:

> has anyone come across this same issue. I am running Thunderbird 91.2.0 under W10Pro

I've been running TB 91.x.y on Win10 Pro for nearly 2 months without any issue
of "missing" emails.

Malcolm Loades

Oct 10, 2021, 3:36:52 PM10/10/21
Try rolling back to the previous version and see if the mail is collected.

Malcolm

Graham J

Oct 11, 2021, 4:53:27 AM10/11/21
The default setting for most email clients when using POP3 is to
automatically delete emails once they are downloaded from the server.
So it requires your explicit setting to leave emails on the server, and
you would normally specify a period of time after which they will be
deleted automatically. Therefore if you are worried about emails going
missing, it would be better to use IMAP on all your clients (provided
that the mail server allows it; VM might not but others here will know).

Given that VM webmail shows you all the emails my suspicion is of
Thunderbird. In my very limited experience of helping others with TB I
found the display arrangements very confusing, with the same emails
appearing in more than one place; so it would not surprise me that there
is a similar confusion which hides emails. This of course would not be
improved by changing to IMAP but at least you would be more certain of
not losing emails by accident.

Can you set up TB afresh on a different computer (or on a different user
account) and see if it fails to show the same set of emails? That might
suggest that TB doesn't like something in those emails (malformed
header, large picture attached, identified as containing malware, etc.)

--
Graham J

Tweed

Oct 11, 2021, 4:58:07 AM10/11/21
I’d recommend eMclient as a decent email client. Works on Mac and Windows.
The free version meets most home use needs.

Woody

Oct 11, 2021, 6:17:51 AM10/11/21
Does eMclient handle Usenet?

Woody

Oct 11, 2021, 6:20:23 AM10/11/21
I should have put in my original post that POP3 is set to never delete.
As a result my mailbox on the VM server has well in excess of 4000 mails
in it running back about 3 years - the least time I deleted any!

I have a laptop with TB on it so I'll try that.

Tweed

Oct 11, 2021, 6:52:37 AM10/11/21
Nope. But do you need one client to handle two distinctly different methods
of communication?

Graham J

Oct 11, 2021, 7:26:25 AM10/11/21
Woody wrote:

[snip]

> I should have put in my original post that POP3 is set to never delete.
> As a result my mailbox on the VM server has well in excess of 4000 mails
> in it running back about 3 years - the least time I deleted any!
>
> I have a laptop with TB on it so I'll try that.

Beware that the VM server may fill up (i.e. your quota will be exceeded)
if you persist in leaving all your emails on it. You should have a
policy of deleting (or archiving elsewhere) all your old emails.

When it fills up you will not know, other than not receiving emails.
People who send you emails wil normally receive a "mailbox full" bounce
message but most people will not understand that and won't bother to
tell you.

--
Graham J

Woody

Oct 11, 2021, 11:34:15 AM10/11/21
Not a VM user then?
They give me the standard 25GB for the mailbox, and mine stands at less
than 1.5GB. Don't think it is or will be a problem somehow.....

Graham J

Oct 11, 2021, 12:51:54 PM10/11/21
Woody wrote:

[snip]

> Not a VM user then?
> They give me the standard 25GB for the mailbox, and mine stands at less
> than 1.5GB. Don't think it is or will be a problem somehow.....

I've known users break a 50 GB quota ...

--
Graham J

Woody

Oct 11, 2021, 1:53:23 PM10/11/21
I got that wrong. My quota use ATMIT is a little under 115MB