Reading usenet with Sky Broadband

Chris Hills

Mar 10, 2010, 5:52:22 AM3/10/10
Hi

Does anyone else have problems with accessing nntp servers through Sky
Broadband or is it just me? At the best of times it is flaky, and at
evenings and weekend it is completely unusable. I use nntp purely for
text groups (big five, gmane, mozilla, mozdev, opera) and not binaries.

Regards,

Chris

Grant

Mar 10, 2010, 8:44:52 AM3/10/10
Chris Hills wrote:

> Does anyone else have problems with accessing nntp servers through Sky
> Broadband or is it just me?

I use Giganews over Sky just for text groups and have never noticed a
problem.

Ian Pawson

Mar 10, 2010, 11:06:19 AM3/10/10

No problems with eternal-september news

Graham.

Mar 10, 2010, 12:48:31 PM3/10/10

"Ian Pawson" <m...@ianp.eu> wrote in message news:hn8g1s$d8d$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

Chris is using E-S too.
Perhaps Sky are outsourcing their traffic management to Tiscali ;-)

Chris, try setting up an account in your newsreader to read E-S
via port 443 with SSL, and see of it performs better than port 119
That's the way I used to get round Tiscali's block.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

smurf

Mar 10, 2010, 9:07:09 PM3/10/10

I access two different nntp servers, and get 100% of the stated connection
speed 100% of the time. One service i used for binary downloads, and one for
posting.

Maybe you are on sky broadband routed through BT.

smurf

Mar 10, 2010, 9:07:55 PM3/10/10

and they have no idea what you are downloading