Re: Catchup services not free

Jeff Gaines

Feb 20, 2024, 3:16:40 AMFeb 20
On 20/02/2024 in message <all8tihkj9oho8rhl...@4ax.com>
Charlie+ wrote:

>I dont like parting with Name, Address+postcode, Date of birth,
>telephone nos, email addresss etc to anybody. It leads to data
>harvesting, spam etc.
>
>But it seems signup is obligatory for any catchup services to work at
>all on Firesticks, Youview or any other platforms.
>
>Any useful tips and tricks for not parting with all your personal
>information!? Apart from the obvious "dont use" solution of course!
>C+

I have a carefully crafted Internet persona, make sure it's written down
in case you forget who you are. Can't use it when purchasing things
because it has to tie in with your card of course.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If Björn & Benny had been called Syd and Dave then ABBA would have been

Max Demian

Feb 20, 2024, 6:33:16 AMFeb 20
On 20/02/2024 08:16, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 20/02/2024 in message <all8tihkj9oho8rhl...@4ax.com>
> Charlie+ wrote:
>
>> I dont like parting with Name, Address+postcode, Date of birth,
>> telephone nos, email addresss etc to anybody. It leads to data
>> harvesting, spam etc.
>>
>> But it seems signup is obligatory for any catchup services to work at
>> all on Firesticks, Youview or any other platforms.
>>
>> Any useful tips and tricks for not parting with all your personal
>> information!?  Apart from the obvious "dont use" solution of course!
>> C+
>
> I have a carefully crafted Internet persona, make sure it's written down
> in case you forget who you are. Can't use it when purchasing things
> because it has to tie in with your card of course.

Yes, who would give their true DoB, as it's often used as a proof of
identity (for some reason)?

GP surgeries (and others) ask your DoB as their first question.

--
Max Demian

alan_m

Feb 20, 2024, 7:50:02 AMFeb 20
On 20/02/2024 11:33, Max Demian wrote:

> Yes, who would give their true DoB, as it's often used as a proof of
> identity (for some reason)?
>
> GP surgeries (and others) ask your DoB as their first question.

While 250 miles away from home a few weeks back I had to visit a walk in
centre at the Hospital A&E. They asked for my DOB, name and they asked
me to confirm the first line of my address. This brought up my NHS
number, my GP surgery/doctor details etc. All used for the computer
record of that visit.

JMB99

Feb 20, 2024, 8:29:35 AMFeb 20
On 20/02/2024 11:33, Max Demian wrote:
> GP surgeries (and others) ask your DoB as their first question.

Would you want someone else to be able just give your name and get
access to your medical records?

Not that DoB or Home Address is particularly difficult to find!

David Paste

Feb 20, 2024, 4:14:45 PMFeb 20
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 08:01:29 +0000, Charlie+ wrote:

> Any useful tips and tricks for not parting with all your personal
> information!? Apart from the obvious "dont use" solution of course! C+

Just a different name on a gmail account. For the postcode, use your town
hall or local library or something. Never had a problem.