A slide show display accessible to anyone?

williamwright

Dec 30, 2021, 10:15:16 AM12/30/21
I want to start a gallery (or album?) of photographs that anyone could
see via the internet. Ideally the pictures would come up full screen and
progress through the sequence by pressing the left/right arrow keys or
by clicking on an on-screen arrow. Each picture would be accompanied by
a caption.

Only I would be able to load the pictures but anyone with the correct
url or whatever would be able to see them.

This is for the village Facebook group, which over the years has had
some smashing photographs of local scenes. We seem to have a few keen
photographers in the group, and also some people who aren't keep
photographers but just happen to take an interesting picture now and then.

The Facebook gallery thing isn't much use. I was wondering what else
there is. Ideas anyone?

Bill

Mark Carver

Dec 30, 2021, 10:18:46 AM12/30/21
On 30/12/2021 15:15, williamwright wrote:
> I want to start a gallery (or album?) of photographs that anyone could
> see via the internet. Ideally the pictures would come up full screen
> and progress through the sequence by pressing the left/right arrow
> keys or by clicking on an on-screen arrow. Each picture would be
> accompanied by a caption.

Google's Picasa used to offer just that, then they ruined the feature
when they re-branded the ap as Google Photos, but it's probably still an
available feature ?

Tweed

Dec 30, 2021, 10:39:47 AM12/30/21
Try Flickr

198kHz

Dec 30, 2021, 10:42:32 AM12/30/21
On 30/12/2021 15:15, williamwright wrote:

> The Facebook gallery thing isn't much use. I was wondering what else
> there is. Ideas anyone?
>
> Bill
A Dropbox free account will do what you want, and more.
Storage is 2GB, so say, 4000 images at an average of 500kB - ample for
screen viewing.

--
198kHz

williamwright

Dec 30, 2021, 11:16:14 AM12/30/21
I don't see a way to open a file of photographs in Dropbox and get
Dropbox to display each one full screen as a sequence, each with a caption.

Bill

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 30, 2021, 11:25:27 AM12/30/21
I don't know I've been asking our council as their home page has a slide
show that runs when loaded but can be paused, but the problem is that it
interrupts my screenreader every time it changes with no useful info, like a
description of the picture. It is not rocket science to add an alt tag to a
picture to describe it for the blind yet I see so many sites where its not
done, still.

I'm sure there is software out there, but maybe in the end it might be
more useful if the program was off line and one simply downloaded e show
complete with audible captions like you often find in museums etc.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" <wrights...@f2s.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 30, 2021, 11:28:50 AM12/30/21
No I looked at that as well, they are not very good at explain some of their
played for services. I cannot help but wonder if they did a better job
informing people about their services, if they might get more paying
subscribers. For what I'd get out of the upgrade its just not any incentive.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" <wrights...@f2s.com> wrote in message

John Rumm

Dec 30, 2021, 11:44:52 AM12/30/21
On 30/12/2021 15:15, williamwright wrote:
Google photos, or dropbox, or onedrive will allow similar.

If you want a bit more control then google slides (part of google
docs/drive) will in effect give you powerpoint style presentation
graphics on the web. So you can caption or label photos, have them auto
advance or click to advance, and also use transitions between slides.

--
Cheers,

John.

Java Jive

Dec 30, 2021, 12:36:09 PM12/30/21
On 30/12/2021 15:15, williamwright wrote:

> I want to start a gallery (or album?) of photographs that anyone could
> see via the internet. Ideally the pictures would come up full screen and
> progress through the sequence by pressing the left/right arrow keys or
> by clicking on an on-screen arrow. Each picture would be accompanied by
> a caption.
>
> Only I would be able to load the pictures but anyone with the correct
> url or whatever would be able to see them.

I wrote something like that in JavaScript many years ago. I've just
updated the documentation for it with improvements that I wrote between
then and now which I have been using privately for various purposes, but
hadn't bothered to publish. I'm not sure that it's quite what you want,
because you can't go backwards, but for whatever use or not it is to
you, it's here:

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/ProgScriptWeb/General.html

(Click the first green sub-section entitled 'Slide Show')

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Another John

Dec 31, 2021, 5:33:32 PM12/31/21
In article <j360o2...@mid.individual.net>,
williamwright <wrights...@f2s.com> wrote:

> I want to start a gallery (or album?) of photographs that anyone could
> see via the internet. Ideally the pictures would come up full screen and
> progress through the sequence by pressing the left/right arrow keys or
> by clicking on an on-screen arrow. Each picture would be accompanied by
> a caption.
>
> Only I would be able to load the pictures but anyone with the correct
> url or whatever would be able to see them.

Google Albums fits that bill, Bill, Shirley?

I've used it a few times to make "family albums" -- it will make a
unique URL for you, and only people who know that can see it.
Or maybe you can make it public to all -- I've never looked for that
option. Google is generally Good (in more senses than one), and also
intuitive: if something is a sensible thing to be able to do, then you
will be able find the way to do it, iyswim.

John