OT Radio 4 DAB early schedule change

Jeff Layman

Dec 20, 2021, 5:18:34 AM12/20/21
This morning the shipping forecast was moved from 0520 to 0533, and
there was no news following it. Radio 4 stayed with the World Service
during this time. There is nothing in Radio Times about this change,
although the on-line schedule reflects it
(<https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/schedules/bbc_radio_fourfm#on-air>).

The schedule was changed early this year because of Covid. Does the BBC
know something we don't?

--

Jeff

Scott

Dec 20, 2021, 1:03:22 PM12/20/21
I thought the BBC had an obligation to transmit the shipping forecast
on time?

MB

Dec 20, 2021, 1:20:01 PM12/20/21
On 20/12/2021 18:03, Scott wrote:
> I thought the BBC had an obligation to transmit the shipping forecast
> on time?

It was scheduled for that time so it was "on time"

NEWS: Shipping Forecast
On: BBC Radio 4 FM
Date: Monday 20th December 2021 (Already shown)
Time: 05:20 to 05:43 (23 minutes long)

Sorry no additional information is currently available
Marked By: 'Category: News' marker
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from
http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=7346

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

They issue the forecast at 0500h I believe. I can't imagine many serious
users of the shipping forecast sitting with pencil and paper, copying it
down. They will get off NAVTAX, Internet or FAX.

Jeff Layman

Dec 20, 2021, 1:29:19 PM12/20/21
On 20/12/2021 18:03, Scott wrote:
On the website I linked to above it's showing 0533 or 0534 up to and
including next Monday. I assume it has been agreed with the MCA.

--

Jeff

John Hall

Dec 20, 2021, 1:33:04 PM12/20/21
In message <spqhgf$erv$1...@dont-email.me>, MB <M...@nospam.net> writes
>On 20/12/2021 18:03, Scott wrote:
>> I thought the BBC had an obligation to transmit the shipping forecast
>> on time?
>
>It was scheduled for that time so it was "on time"
>

>NEWS: Shipping Forecast
>On: BBC Radio 4 FM
>Date: Monday 20th December 2021 (Already shown)
>Time: 05:20 to 05:43 (23 minutes long)

Surely that 23 minute duration must be wrong.
--
John Hall
"Home is heaven and orgies are vile,

Jeff Layman

Dec 20, 2021, 2:25:22 PM12/20/21
On 20/12/2021 18:31, John Hall wrote:
> In message <spqhgf$erv$1...@dont-email.me>, MB <M...@nospam.net> writes
>> On 20/12/2021 18:03, Scott wrote:
>>> I thought the BBC had an obligation to transmit the shipping forecast
>>> on time?
>>
>> It was scheduled for that time so it was "on time"
>>

>> NEWS: Shipping Forecast
>> On: BBC Radio 4 FM
>> Date: Monday 20th December 2021 (Already shown)
>> Time: 05:20 to 05:43 (23 minutes long)
>
> Surely that 23 minute duration must be wrong.

It started at 0533 and lasted 10 minutes, as usual.

--

Jeff

Scott

Dec 20, 2021, 2:46:12 PM12/20/21
On Mon, 20 Dec 2021 18:19:59 +0000, MB <M...@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 20/12/2021 18:03, Scott wrote:
>> I thought the BBC had an obligation to transmit the shipping forecast
>> on time?
>
>It was scheduled for that time so it was "on time"

The time set by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and notified to the
ships - not BBC time.

MB

Dec 20, 2021, 4:20:55 PM12/20/21
On 20/12/2021 19:46, Scott wrote:
> The time set by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency and notified to the
> ships - not BBC time.

The MCA give the time as 0520h.

But I doubt many "ships" use it (if any). Even fishing vessels are well
equipped now and will be writing down whilst listening to Long Wave.

They will be using NAVTEX or the Internet.

Even yachts are well equipped now.

Scott

Dec 20, 2021, 4:29:28 PM12/20/21
In that case, the question is whether MCA pay the BBC for broadcasting
the shipping forecast and will this become victim of a 'value for
money review'?

Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Dec 21, 2021, 4:20:08 AM12/21/21
Contingency plans?
I don't think even the medics know what to do, which is why nothing other
than advice abounds.
I'd imagine it would be prudent to expect the worse after Christmas, but
its going to cost somebody, and in the end with interest rates starting to
rise, one can tell exactly who that payment will be extracted from.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please