You do not have a compatible Freeview HD device.

Alaric

Jun 26, 2013, 9:57:07 AM6/26/13
This morning, out of curiosity, I worked my way up through the Freeview
channel numbers on my LG TV set which has "Full HD" marked on it. This set
has both a Freeview and a Freesat tuner and I generally watch Freesat. While
doing this I came upon several Freeview channels (most of which would be of
peripheral interest) where a screen message stated inter alia "You do not
have a compatible Freeview HD device".

I find this all a bit puzzling and shall be glad if someone can explain this
for me. I receive my Freeview signal from the Rosneath transmitter.

Alaric.

R. Mark Clayton

Jun 26, 2013, 10:20:56 AM6/26/13
You don't have a Freeview HD decoder.

I get the same although the set does have a Freesat HD decoder.

"Alaric" <noxxxxsp...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Peter Duncanson

Jun 26, 2013, 10:26:47 AM6/26/13
Did the channels have numbers in the 220s/230s, and did they have names
such as CONNECT, VISION, GOD TV? If so they are channels in the
programme guide but they are not broadcast "through the air". They are
received via the internet. A "compaitble device" is one with an internet
connection that can receive and dsiplay those channels.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Peter Duncanson

Jun 26, 2013, 10:29:38 AM6/26/13
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 15:26:47 +0100, Peter Duncanson
<ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>A "compaitble device" is one with an internet
>connection that can receive and dsiplay those channels.

Oops! The usual spellings are "compatible" and "display"

Alaric

Jun 26, 2013, 11:20:52 AM6/26/13

"Alaric" wrote in message news:2sqdnSDEh5SyblfM...@bt.com...
Thank you to Mark and Peter. The mystery is solved! I do not think the
quality of my daily life will be diminished in any way by this inability to
receive these high-numbered Freeview channels.

Alaric.

Brian Gaff

Jun 26, 2013, 11:31:38 AM6/26/13
And you missed the HD bit of the question as well, so although you are right
I feel that in this case its the set that is only hd on the sat side. Maybe
there is a plug in or more likely its hd for another country, not ours.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Peter Duncanson" <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Jun 26, 2013, 11:33:04 AM6/26/13
Hmm, well who knows, you might find god very interesting, i wonder how much
they are paying him?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Alaric" <noxxxxsp...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Bill Wright

Jun 26, 2013, 11:41:03 AM6/26/13
Brian Gaff wrote:
> Hmm, well who knows, you might find god very interesting, i wonder how much
> they are paying him?
>
> Brian

There's God 1 and God 2. It's surprising, because it says in the Bible
'For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the
man Christ Jesus.' (1 Timothy 2:5)

Bill

Graham.

Jun 26, 2013, 11:58:30 AM6/26/13
Mark and Peter gave you different suggestions.

Mark's suggestion is that "Full HD" does not imply that the set has an
HD terrestrial decoder.

Peter is saying that there are services with LCNs in the EPG that are
streamed over the Internet.

I'm just sitting on the fence.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

David

Jun 26, 2013, 12:03:12 PM6/26/13

"Graham." wrote in message
*******

Maybe we should be told the model number so the spec. can be looked up.
Regards
David

Peter Duncanson

Jun 26, 2013, 1:13:17 PM6/26/13
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:31:38 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
<Bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>And you missed the HD bit of the question as well, so although you are right
>I feel that in this case its the set that is only hd on the sat side. Maybe
>there is a plug in or more likely its hd for another country, not ours.

The on-screen message on a TV which doesn't have the ability to handle
these channels is "You do not have a compatible Freeview HD device".

My guess is that the technical specification for handling these internet
channels is part of the Freeview HD technical specification, rather than
in the original SD Freeview spec.

Jon

Jun 26, 2013, 3:39:15 PM6/26/13
I do have a compatible Freeview device (Sony KDL-40EX274) and to be
honest, you're not really missing anything!

David.WE.Roberts

Jun 26, 2013, 5:31:57 PM6/26/13
Just to note (although this has been covered a number of times in the
past) that "Full HD" usually means that the TV can display a signal from
an external device such as a BluRay player correctly.

The screen resolution should be 1920 * 1080 either progressive (p) or
interlaced (i).

Internal tuners can be SD or HD - a lot of TVs have no FreeSat tuner and
only FreeView (not FreeView HD) terrestrial TV tuners.

They can still be described as 'Full HD' which causes no end of confusion.

If I remember correctly, the FreeSat HD specification was finalised before
the FreeView HD specification and so there are a generation of more
expensive TVs which have an HD tuner for the satellite side but only SD
for the terrestrial side.

Such as my Panasonic.

So if you really need HD from terrestrial stations then you would need a
Set Top Box of some sort.

However, as other have suggested any increase in picture performance may
not be worth the extra money.

One other point - I have a couple of Full HD TVs with only SD terrestrial
tuners.
They don't display HD stations in the EPG because they know that they
can't handle them.

Cheers

Dave R

Graham.

Jun 26, 2013, 6:54:03 PM6/26/13
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:41:03 +0100, Bill Wright <bi...@invalid.com>
wrote:
The Wholly Trinitron.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Message has been deleted

Roger Mills

Jun 27, 2013, 5:11:37 AM6/27/13
Can you receive BBC1 and BBC2 HD (channels 101 and 102) on your set?

If not, the set almost certainly doesn't have a Freeview HD tuner.

As others have said, "Full HD" simply means that it can display a full
HD picture from an external source such as blueray. It doesn't
necessarily mean that it can decode an HD signal received over the air.
To do this, the set would have to be describes as "Freeview HD".

This has been discussed many times before, but is still very confusing
to the uninitiated!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Peter Duncanson

Jun 27, 2013, 8:07:51 AM6/27/13
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:11:37 +0100, Roger Mills <watt....@gmail.com>
wrote:
What follows is not a reply to the OP's question, it is an example of
how things can very confusing.

The Republic of Ireland's digital TV transmissions use MPEG4 for both SD
and HD channels. (In the UK SD channnels are MPEG2 and HD are MPEG4.)
Many areas in Northern Ireland can receive multiplexes transmitted from
the Irish Republic using MPEG4. This is no problem for TVs and STBs with
Full HD *reception* capability. They handle the material normally.

Other boxes with only SD capability can see those muxes - but....

In my experience the radio channels in those muxes are handled normally
by SD boxes. Things get more interesting with the TV channels. The video
will not be displayed, but using some boxes/TVs the sound can be heard.
So if you are happy to just listen to one of those TV channels you can.

Some of the TV channels have teletext. Typically the (SD) boxes/TVs will
not render sound and teletext simultaneously, so you need to press the
mute button on the remote before pressing the text button.

I was surprised when I discovered that standard Freeview SD boxes/TVs
could do anything at all with those transmissions.

Steve Thackery

Jun 27, 2013, 10:15:31 AM6/27/13
Roger Mills wrote:

> This has been discussed many times before, but is still very
> confusing to the uninitiated!

*And* the initiated, sometimes. :-)

--
SteveT

Jeff Layman

Jun 27, 2013, 1:32:56 PM6/27/13
On 26/06/2013 14:57, Alaric wrote:
That's what is displayed on my Humax YouView box, which is connected to
the internet. Why is that not compatible?

--

Jeff

Brian Gaff

Jun 27, 2013, 4:25:26 PM6/27/13
Well maybe its the wrong sort of HD?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jeff Layman" <JMLa...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Peter Duncanson

Jun 27, 2013, 7:26:08 PM6/27/13
Just guessing. The box has an internet connection but the software in
the box would need to be able to handle the data protocols specific to
the channels provided by Connect TV.

This webpage says:
http://www.connect-tv.tv/channels/

Connect TV is the first live streaming channel on DTT and utilises
the D-Book streaming extensions which enable the delivery of
broadcast and IP enabled content on to a TV via a broadband
connected device. The standards based, open MHEG-powered platform
integrates live TV and interactivity with DTT.

So, if the software in a TV or STB does not support the D-Book streaming
extensions it can't handle those channels. Receiving those channels will
be technically different from receiving stuff from BBC iPlayer and other
on-demand services.

Further:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-book

The D-Book is the UK technical specification for Digital terrestrial
television (DTT).

It seems that edition 7 of the D-book is the one that contains the
extended specification for "connected TV", i.e. streams delivered via
the internet rather than through an aerial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-book#D-Book_7

It is likely that the software in Humax YouView boxes does not yet
handle the streams as defined in D-book 7.

Brian Gaff

Jun 28, 2013, 3:46:55 AM6/28/13
We do seemingly have a way to make the simple ever more complicated don't
we?
I was asked the other day if an internet enabled tv recorder could be made
to log into a persons home security cameras that he can already view via his
smart phone. Such a simple question, such a terribly unanswerable one!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Peter Duncanson" <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote in message

Roderick Stewart

Jun 28, 2013, 6:19:24 AM6/28/13
The answer to any question along the lines of "Can this box work with
this other box it wasn't specifically designed to work with?" is
usually "no" unless you buy something expensive to go with them.

Rod.

Jeff Layman

Jun 28, 2013, 5:20:02 PM6/28/13
Thanks for the links. There does seems to be some inconsistency at
Connect-TV, though. This is from their FAQ page:

Q. Error message says ‘You do not have a compatible Freeview HD device’

A. This means that the DTT service does not recognise your TV set or
set-top box as. If you have a recent Freeview HD device you may need to
update the software. If you do have an old Connected DTT device there
may be an issue. See (link to Q. I have a ‘Freeview HD’ device but can’t
access RUK)

But also:

Q. I have a ‘Freeview HD’ device but get an error when I try to access
any of your channels

A. Unfortunately some of the early Freeview HD devices are not fully
compatible with parts of the Freeview HD standard. In this case you
should refer to the device manufacturer to see if/when a software
upgrade may be available. Many devices allow you to update the soft are
over the internet or via USB. All 2012 Freeview HD devices that we have
tested are compatible and we’re working with the manufacturers of the
incompatible boxes to help them resolve these issues.

The YouView box appeared in 2012 (mine is new), and so /should/ be
compatible. Also, the latest software update was a few days ago, and it
is still "incompatible".

Interestingly the Echostar HDT-610R PVR is said to be a compatible
device according to http://www.god.tv/freeview. I had one of those
until last week (when the HD failed), but never tried to access Connect
TV, so don't know if it would have worked or not. That is the only STB
on the "compatible"list, and the only other devices are a handful of
Samsung and Sony TVs. So even though that website repeats the mantra
with "Even though devices approved with the Freeview HD certificate
should work with all new channels that use Internet connection, we have
found some compatibility issues.", it seems to be Connect TV which has
compatibility issues, not the Freeview devices.

I've been puzzled because the ConnectTV pages on the internet appear
under the Arqiva logo, and Arqiva is one of YouView's partners, so why
shouldn't the Humax YouView box be compatible with ConnectTV? It's
pretty confusing if you ask me, but there's a thread here on the
YouView forum which helps to explain the issue:
http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/iptv-o0r6a

Some similar forum posts here::
http://community.youview.com/youview/topics/non_fibre_broadband_households_with_youview_future_iptv_channels#reply_12257085

I should add that I'm not interested in what ConnectTV has to offer; it
was just the "incompatibility" issue which seemed worthy of investigation.

--

Jeff

Richard Tobin

Jun 29, 2013, 4:26:31 PM6/29/13
In article <bt7ms8p1eol90tsfj...@4ax.com>,
Peter Duncanson <ma...@peterduncanson.net> wrote:

>My guess is that the technical specification for handling these internet
>channels is part of the Freeview HD technical specification, rather than
>in the original SD Freeview spec.

This is true, but even some TVs sold as Freeview HD - which display
the Freeview HD channels - cannot handle the internet channels such as
VISION (225). My 2010 Panasonic TV for example.

-- Richard

Grimly Curmudgeon

Jul 2, 2013, 2:28:38 AM7/2/13
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:33:04 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
<Bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hmm, well who knows, you might find god very interesting, i wonder how much
>they are paying him?

"He's got twenty million dollars in his heavenly bank account
All from those chumps who was born again."
- Frank Zappa.

postmaster @ stejonda

Jul 3, 2013, 4:18:01 PM7/3/13
In message <g2uls8ddtm5vptl70...@4ax.com>, Peter Duncanson
<ma...@peterduncanson.net> writes
Ahhh, you mean like The Space?
So why do I get that message when attempting to watch The Space on my
internet-connected 2012 Samsung Freeview HD SMART TV?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.