Fault on Torosay?

JMB99

Jan 14, 2024, 9:55:50 AMJan 14
Lost Freeview this morning, I was using the TV for something else so it
was difficult to check what was happening

Not showing as off on the various website but ukfree.tv is showing at
least seven dependents of Torosay going off at 10:09 this morning no
mention of the parent station being off.

Surely even Arquiva would notice seven relays going off at the same time?

I can remember at least twenty years ago we told that 'artificial
intelligence' would notice multiple relay stations going off at the same
time!

Woody

Jan 14, 2024, 10:00:25 AMJan 14
Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!

Mark Carver

Jan 14, 2024, 10:25:24 AMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 14:55, JMB99 wrote:
FFS, use the BBC's own reception checker, not bloody UK Free, it shows
Torosay itself off the air (owing to a 'fault' since 10:09 this morning)
So it's no surprise its relays are also off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/problems-freeview-reception/#/Freeview/PA65%206AY/Torosay

If you bother to look at the SSE fault logger, it states a planned power
cut today between 10:00 and 16:00 hrs (Work Ref 22131 Post Code PA65)

So, nothing to get worried about, perhaps if anyone is at fault, it's
the broadcasters for not announcing it.

JMB99

Jan 14, 2024, 10:49:53 AMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 15:00, Woody wrote:

> Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!

Not my fault that they cannot spell.

JMB99

Jan 14, 2024, 10:55:36 AMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 15:25, Mark Carver wrote:
> FFS, use the BBC's own reception checker, not bloody UK Free, it shows
> Torosay itself off the air (owing to a 'fault' since 10:09 this morning)
> So it's no surprise its relays are also off.
>
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/problems-freeview-reception/#/Freeview/PA65%206AY/Torosay
>
> If you bother to look at the SSE fault logger, it states a planned power
> cut today between 10:00 and 16:00 hrs (Work Ref 22131 Post Code PA65)
>
> So, nothing to get worried about, perhaps if anyone is at fault, it's
> the broadcasters for not announcing it.

Do they no longer have the diesel?

Mark Carver

Jan 14, 2024, 11:00:03 AMJan 14
Is Torosay a 'proper' Main Station ? I've never been sure. It has a
smaller audience than many relays, that don't have gennys.

Of course the genny may not have started up, and perhaps someone did
attend, and it's not a quick fix. Hense the BBC/Arqiva using the term
'Fault' rather than 'DNO Maintenance', anyway, it should come back on
about now ?

JMB99

Jan 14, 2024, 11:01:18 AMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 15:25, Mark Carver wrote:
> If you bother to look at the SSE fault logger, it states a planned power
> cut today between 10:00 and 16:00 hrs (Work Ref 22131 Post Code PA65)

Very unusual to have planned work on a Sunday?

Woody

Jan 14, 2024, 11:04:50 AMJan 14
The broadcasters probably didn't know because no-one has been to site
lately and found the envelope containing the notification stuck in the
compound gate! (Oh yes they do - found many in my time working out of
Emley!)

JMB99

Jan 14, 2024, 11:10:11 AMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 15:59, Mark Carver wrote:
> Is Torosay a 'proper' Main Station ?  I've never been sure. It has a
> smaller audience than many relays, that don't have gennys.
>
> Of course the genny may not have started up, and perhaps someone did
> attend, and it's not a quick fix. Hense the BBC/Arqiva using the term
> 'Fault' rather than 'DNO Maintenance', anyway, it should come back on
> about now  ?

It was always an oddity from when it first came on. Sometimes described
as a 'relay' and sometimes a 'main station.

It has had a diesel since first had digital.

Probably not able to get to Oban in time for the first Oban ferry so
should possibly be on the Lochaline ferry.

JMB99

Jan 14, 2024, 11:14:38 AMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 16:04, Woody wrote:
> The broadcasters probably didn't know because no-one has been to site
> lately and found the envelope containing the notification stuck in the
> compound gate! (Oh yes they do - found many in my time working out of
> Emley!)

Ditto, happened many times!

Mark Carver

Jan 14, 2024, 11:16:06 AMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 16:04, Woody wrote:
There's an old story that the BBC's Fareham transmitter fell off the
air, an engineer turned up, to discover scores of final demand
electricity bills stuffed into gaps around the steel front door, and no
supply present.

JMB99

Jan 14, 2024, 11:17:36 AMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 16:16, Mark Carver wrote:
> There's an old story that the BBC's Fareham transmitter fell off the
> air, an engineer turned up, to discover scores of final demand
> electricity bills stuffed into gaps around the steel front door, and no
> supply present.

Does not surprise me!

Back on now.

Mark Carver

Jan 14, 2024, 11:19:37 AMJan 14
It's one of five on the logger, the other four are down here in Southern
England.

I suspect its to avoid interrupting business activity (Clearly they
don't regard broadcasting to be that important !)

JMB99

Jan 14, 2024, 1:34:38 PMJan 14
On 14/01/2024 16:19, Mark Carver wrote:
> It's one of five on the logger, the other four are down here in Southern
> England.
>
> I suspect its to avoid interrupting business activity (Clearly they
> don't regard broadcasting to be that important !)

And they know the TV sites will not be affected because they have a
diesel maintained supply .......... ooops!

Brian Gaff

Jan 16, 2024, 10:36:50 AMJan 16
Well that only proves they can't spell.

I guess it depends on how these relays get their signals. If its a special
feed, then I'm not surprised they all went off, but it could be the link is
still working, just that the content has gone. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Woody" <harro...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Jan 19, 2024, 6:18:06 AMJan 19
No, one would have thought thereshould be a billing address other than the
unmanned premises.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

wrights...@f2s.com

Jan 20, 2024, 4:32:04 PMJan 20
On Sunday 14 January 2024 at 15:00:25 UTC, Woody wrote:

> Er, Arqiva - there's no U in it!
Actually it's against the law to not put a 'U' after a 'Q'.
Bill

Roderick Stewart

Jan 21, 2024, 3:29:38 AMJan 21
Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.

Rod.

Max Demian

Jan 21, 2024, 6:37:45 AMJan 21
Are any such words allowed in Scrabble?

--
Max Demian

John Hall

Jan 21, 2024, 11:45:29 AMJan 21
In message <uoivm6$5ls7$1...@dont-email.me>, Max Demian
<max_d...@bigfoot.com> writes
My Concise Oxford gives "qibla", which it says is a variant spelling of
"kiblah". I was too lazy to look up what "kiblah" means.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

JMB99

Jan 21, 2024, 12:20:26 PMJan 21
On 21/01/2024 08:29, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.

I don't think it is either. Fashionable now to make up make up a
completely meaningless name.

Mark Undrill

Jan 21, 2024, 12:32:41 PMJan 21
Queensland
And
Northern
Territory
Air
Service

charles

Jan 21, 2024, 1:00:21 PMJan 21
In article <uojjoo$8of9$1...@dont-email.me>,
Then nobody can accuse you of "name theft". I can remember Granada TV
taking Ford to court because Ford used the name Granada for a car.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4t้ฒ

Roderick Stewart

Jan 22, 2024, 5:05:36 AMJan 22
On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:40:17 +0000, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <uoivm6$5ls7$1...@dont-email.me>, Max Demian
><max_d...@bigfoot.com> writes

>>> Actually it's against the law to not put a 'U' after a 'Q'.
>>> Bill
>>
>>Are any such words allowed in Scrabble?
>>

>My Concise Oxford gives "qibla", which it says is a variant spelling of
>"kiblah". I was too lazy to look up what "kiblah" means.

kiblah

Also kebl, kebla, keblah, kebleh, kibla, kiblé, qibla(h.

[Arab. qiblah, that which is placed opposite, f. qabala to be
opposite.]

a. The point (the temple at Mecca) to which Muslims turn at prayer.

For a short period in the early history of Islam the kiblah was at
Jerusalem.

b. A niche in a Muslim building on the side towards Mecca.

Rod.

John Hall

Jan 22, 2024, 5:57:38 AMJan 22
In message <kcfsqi914ir7cstm4...@4ax.com>, Roderick
Stewart <rj...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> writes
Thanks. That feels like something I ought to know. I'd no idea that
early on for a short while Jerusalem was the holiest place (which I
assume that implies) for Muslims.

Vir Campestris

Jan 22, 2024, 6:40:06 AMJan 22
On 21/01/2024 08:29, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.

You mean like Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service?

It is both. Or is that your point?

Andy

Andy Burns

Jan 22, 2024, 6:56:28 AMJan 22
Vir Campestris wrote:

> Roderick Stewart wrote:
>
>> Unless it's an Australian airline, or an acronym, or both.
>
> You mean like Queensland And Northern Territories Air Service?
>
> It is both. Or is that your point?

I think his point was that arqiva is neither?

John Hall

Jan 22, 2024, 1:32:56 PMJan 22
In message <5b26af...@sick-of-spam.invalid>, Bob Latham
<b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> writes
>In article <fL2cDzB4mkrlFw0z@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
>Depends what you mean by early on. Islam didn't start until the year
>610.
>
>Bob.

I was going by "For a short period in the early history of Islam the
kiblah was at Jerusalem", which seems unambiguous. So presumably for a
short period from 610.