Why has BBC TV News page been changed

Woody

Feb 20, 2024, 6:01:06 PMFeb 20
It seems the BBC News front page (www.bbc.co.uk/news) has had another
of their makeovers and annoyingly detrimental IMO.

There used to be a band about half way down where you could select you
locale so that when you went to the page you got five pieces of news for
your region or sub-region.

Now that line has gone to be replaced by two sets of in-house
advertising which includes a local news box which means that you have to
select your area every time you want to read it!

I do hope that one day the BBC will learn the meaning of
"If it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT!!"

Davey

Feb 20, 2024, 6:02:55 PMFeb 20
Is that when pigs will fly?

--
Davey.

Woody

Feb 21, 2024, 2:50:26 AMFeb 21
Damn, I missed that point!

John Armstrong

Feb 21, 2024, 3:21:37 AMFeb 21
The only thing the BBC knows the meaning of is, "We are the BBC,
therefore we know best. Do not try to tell us otherwise."

Jeff Gaines

Feb 21, 2024, 3:30:12 AMFeb 21
It used to keep a cookie so I had it marked as an exception in CCleaner.

What's also annoying is how it changes its numbering of columnar data
between vertical and horizontal on the same page, it can't decide if it's
an English organisation or an American one.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Captcha is thinking of stopping the use of pictures with traffic lights as

Scott

Feb 21, 2024, 4:45:07 AMFeb 21
On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 23:02:52 +0000, Davey <da...@example.invalid>
wrote:
And Scotland Yard could be London's fifth airport :-)

charles

Feb 21, 2024, 5:08:06 AMFeb 21
In article <ufhbtiljolqepgvh4...@4ax.com>,
That's Battersea Heliport -not to be confused with Battersea Dogs Home or
Battersea Power Station

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4t้ฒ

Jeff Layman

Feb 21, 2024, 5:58:06 AMFeb 21
On 21/02/2024 10:08, charles wrote:
> In article <ufhbtiljolqepgvh4...@4ax.com>,
> Scott <newsg...@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Feb 2024 23:02:52 +0000, Davey <da...@example.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> Is that when pigs will fly?
>
>> And Scotland Yard could be London's fifth airport :-)
>
> That's Battersea Heliport -not to be confused with Battersea Dogs Home or
> Battersea Power Station

A mention of Battersea Power Station and pigs flying in the same post?
You must be a Pink Floyd fan!
<https://ultimateclassicrock.com/pink-floyd-inflatable-pig-breaks-free/>

--

Jeff

Clive Page

Feb 21, 2024, 6:23:00 PMFeb 21
The story about pigs flying isn't yet visible, but all sorts of other junk is. And as you said above, you have to select your home region every bloody time. And lots of other things are different for not obvious reason.

--
Clive Page

Brian Gregory

Feb 21, 2024, 8:03:38 PMFeb 21
On 20/02/2024 23:01, Woody wrote:
> It seems the BBC News front page  (www.bbc.co.uk/news) has had another
> of their makeovers and annoyingly detrimental IMO.
>
> There used to be a band about half way down where you could select you
> locale so that when you went to the page you got five pieces of news for
> your region or sub-region.
>
> Now that line has gone to be replaced by two sets of in-house
> advertising which includes a local news box which means that you have to
> select your area every time you want to read it!

It will remember your region if you login.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

JNugent

Feb 21, 2024, 8:34:27 PMFeb 21
I am permanently logged in to the BBC News site (www.bbc.co.uk/news).

The site does not select my home region. It is currently displaying USA
news on its front page.

JMB99

Feb 22, 2024, 2:43:18 AMFeb 22
On 22/02/2024 01:34, JNugent wrote:
> I am permanently logged in to the BBC News site (www.bbc.co.uk/news).
>
> The site does not select my home region. It is currently displaying USA
> news on its front page.

I have mine set to default to UK news as not particularly interested in
reading about the latest SNP scandal.

Just clicked on it and the UK news page came up.