Polaroid (ASDA) TVs

AnthonyL

Aug 24, 2017, 7:47:54 AM8/24/17
Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?

50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.

The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.

--
AnthonyL

R. Mark Clayton

Aug 24, 2017, 8:21:49 AM8/24/17
Plug I saw indicated no Freeview HD, but elsewhere suggests it has it. Asda site hopeless for spec' details.

Bill Wright

Aug 24, 2017, 8:27:04 AM8/24/17
Dreadful tellys

Bill

Brian Gaff

Aug 24, 2017, 1:55:46 PM8/24/17
Polaroid is just another name these days.
I'm not sure who is making them. the time to start worrying is when you get
a Heinz tv.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message

johnt

Aug 24, 2017, 5:07:58 PM8/24/17

"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
There is a review (of sorts) here:
http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/11/22/polaroid-50-inch-4k-tv-p50us0956a-review-with-support-warning/
.....but £299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
that you pay for what you get.

--
JohnT

Ian Field

Aug 24, 2017, 5:15:39 PM8/24/17
A lot of cheap supermarket stuff is made by Vestel.

Search for service info on the model number and you usually find out.

"Brian Gaff" <bri...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

Roderick Stewart

Aug 25, 2017, 5:35:30 AM8/25/17
Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,
mostly nothing to do with film at all. Most large retail places
nowadays have a name they just seem to have stuck on a lot of products
to make them their own brand by implying they all come from one
trusted source. In reality, my understanding is that they just come
from whichever Chinese sweatshop happens to be free this week, so
these "own brand" names although presumably intended to imply
consistency are no guarantee of it at all. Remember Matsui, for
example? Then there's PC World with their brand "AOC", which I've seen
explained as standing for "Any Old Crap" (though I'm sure that can't
be justified at all of course).

Maybe the marketing people think it's easier to adopt an existing name
that's already well known (regardless of what it's actually well known
for) than to try to invent a new one, and that lots of people will
think it's good and buy it anyway. Maybe they're right. Maybe your
prediction of a Heinz TV is not so far fetched after all. If I ever
see one, I'll remember who thought of it first.

Rod.
>---
>http://www.avg.com

Kenny

Aug 25, 2017, 6:50:01 AM8/25/17
"johnt" wrote in message news:f08thc...@mid.individual.net...
I bought a 43" Hisense from AO for £289 after £40 discount code, very
pleased with picture quality and virtually every kind of connection socket.
Only slight niggle would be limited number of apps available.
Kenny

MR

Aug 25, 2017, 7:16:27 AM8/25/17
There's Bush, Celsus etc. Aren't they just last year's model? Using up old LCD panels when the big boys come out with something new.

MR

AnthonyL

Aug 25, 2017, 7:19:32 AM8/25/17
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:07:56 +0100, "johnt" <dono...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
Well yea - they want people to send in their comments because ...
ermm ... they haven't reviewed it.

Which? don't have anything on the "Polaroid" TV range which is
annoying as they appear to be made by Vestel is quoted as:

"Vestel is currently the largest manufacturer of televisions in Europe
and that also makes it one of the biggest TV manufacturers in the
world. Founded in 1984 the Turkish company has long been committed to
creating high volume goods, but has always had an eye towards the
future."

Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
more useful.

--
AnthonyL

R. Mark Clayton

Aug 25, 2017, 8:24:13 AM8/25/17
Hisense are sold by Richer Sounds with their 6 year guarantee. The spec's certainly seem good and the prices are low. I would need to see one, but the panel is probably common to several makes.

Brian Gaff

Aug 25, 2017, 9:29:45 AM8/25/17
The trouble with the Heinz tv is that it only has 57 channels.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Ian Field" <gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Aug 25, 2017, 9:39:58 AM8/25/17
Yes, well, Amstrad were Schneider in Germany, For most of the time now,
Philips are just a name stuck on like Wharfdale, Goodmans Harvard, Alba, and
sundry others. I think sony were the first to realise that you could just
make flagship models yourself and just licence the name to any old lot to
make the cheap stuff. I have to say though that Polaroid video tapes were
always good. It transpired they were using Hitachi/Maxell tape, so no
wonder.

Going back many years to the old Sinclair Spectrum Microdrive carts. Most of
the ones you bought had BASF Chrome tape in them, but a few of the Ablex
manufactured ones for the one per desk computer were more reliable as they
used Maxel tape.
All to show there is nothing new. Its just a con job to brand loyalists.

Or in other cases, a way to keep manufacturing out of date stuff to
prolong the life of a product.

Back to Sinclair. Who remembers the IC12 amplifier on a chip? It had that
fan like heat sink on it. it was however very easy to blow them up as they
were entirely dc coupled internally with no protection. After Sinclair moved
on the same chip came out and was used in TVs made by Texas Instruments,
with a totally unmemorable number. they used to pop off whenever the speaker
shorted some turns. In those days one had to bend quad in line pins to fit
a dil socket as the dil ones were obsolete when they tended to blow up...
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Roderick Stewart" <rj...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Aug 25, 2017, 9:44:25 AM8/25/17
It made me laugh when Polaroid, or more rightly the Land family, won a
patent infringement suite over Kodaks instant picture cameras. Kodak,
although they used a different process, used the same basic idea and way of
implementing it. Now these days of course Kodak and Polaroid are no longer
functioning companies. Both have been overtaken by the digital way, even
though it was Kodak engineers who built the first ccd camera element. they
simply saw it as useful for things like satellites and defence.
Brian

--
----- -
"Huge" <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in message
> On 2017-08-25, Roderick Stewart <rj...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
>> film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,
>> mostly nothing to do with film at all.
>
> I wonder why that is? :o)
>

> --
> Today is Boomtime, the 18th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
> I don't have an attitude problem.
> If you have a problem with my attitude, that's your problem.

Brian Gaff

Aug 25, 2017, 9:48:52 AM8/25/17
I got bored waiting to find a reply on this post.
Anyway, thinking about own brand. Why not just use Asda? I always wondered
wy Tandy had so many brands. Radio Shack, Realistic etc, all or most of
their hi fi were made by Hitachi, and was actually pretty good.
Incidentally steer clear of the cheaper Toshiba laptops as they are no
longer really toshiba, but cheap Chinese sweatshop crap to reuse a phrase.

The only good ones are the pro range.
brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"MR" <martin...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Aug 25, 2017, 9:51:21 AM8/25/17
Yes something has to give and its probably quality control, cheaper parts
and an older design.
Brian

--
----- -
"johnt" <dono...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Brian Gaff

Aug 25, 2017, 9:57:43 AM8/25/17
One worry to me is that being Turkish like the other well known white goods
maker is that the country always seems to be on the edge of a civil war
between the townies with dosh and the plebs outside.
its a great pity they cannot get a government who is straight with the
people as most Turks I've met are very nice folk.
if they do end up at each others throats sorting out supply of parts and
indeed telys will be a bit awkward.
brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please!
"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message

R. Mark Clayton

Aug 25, 2017, 10:10:06 AM8/25/17
On Friday, 25 August 2017 14:57:43 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> One worry to me is that being Turkish like the other well known white goods
> maker is that the country always seems to be on the edge of a civil war
> between the townies with dosh and the plebs outside.
> its a great pity they cannot get a government who is straight with the
> people as most Turks I've met are very nice folk.

SNIP

Kemal Attaturk was a great leader.

What can one say about their current president?
The considered view of our Foreign Secretary: -

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/boris-johnsons-award-winning-entry-spectators-president-erdogan-offensive-poetry-competition/

There was a young fellow from Ankara
Who was a terrific wankerer
Till he sowed his wild oats
With the help of a goat
But he didn’t even stop to thankera.

Copyrights acknowledged.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/09/boris-johnson-refuses-apologise-insulting-president-erdogan/

Indy Jess John

Aug 25, 2017, 10:42:28 AM8/25/17
On 25/08/2017 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:

> Now these days of course Kodak and Polaroid are no longer
> functioning companies. Both have been overtaken by the digital way

Kodak did make and sell a digital camera. I bought one from Dixons in 2001.

It was a very reasonable camera in terms of price and picture quality
compared with others being sold at the same time. It was heavy though,
and a bit bulky to carry in a pocket, and the CompactFlash storage
wasn't the fastest storage medium. But it took standard AA sized
batteries, and although I used rechargeables it would be quite happy
with alkalines. At the time I was also using a 35mm film SLR so it did
have the advantage of an instant view of the photos on the Kodak camera
screen without waiting for a film to be developed.

The PC software that came with it had drivers for Windows 95 and 98
(which dates when I bought it) and it had some nice features like
displaying on the screen what the camera was pointed at, and computer
control of the 2x optical and 3x digital zoom function, and the shutter.
I never found a use for it, but I suppose it would have been possible
to position the camera so that it could view a bird table and then take
photos without a human operating the camera shutter scaring the birds off.

I still have the camera and it still works, but I haven't used it for
ages, having replaced it with a lighter and smaller Panasonic in 2009.

Jim

Bill Wright

Aug 25, 2017, 11:37:42 AM8/25/17
On 25/08/2017 12:19, AnthonyL wrote:

> Given that other major consumer outlets would also use them a bit more
> objective appraisal beyond Bill Wright's throwaway comment might be
> more useful.
Like all of us I can only speak from personal experience. I saw no need
to flesh out my comment.

Bill

spuorg...@gowanhill.com

Aug 25, 2017, 3:40:53 PM8/25/17
On Friday, 25 August 2017 14:48:52 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Anyway, thinking about own brand. Why not just use Asda? I always wondered
> why Tandy had so many brands. Radio Shack, Realistic etc,

Various reasons, it gives the economic advantages of own-brand with the more upmarket appearance of a shop selling a variety of brands, and helps draw customers away from minority branded goods to the retailer's own brands. It's harder for consumers to rate own-brands as value for money compared to other brands. And if one brand gets a bad reputation it can be easily replaced and causes less reputational harm to the parent brand.

Aldi and Lidl use the same concept. Tesco tried it for a while when they wanted products that were more expensive than Tesco Value but cheaper than Tesco 'Standard'.

Owain

Max Demian

Aug 25, 2017, 3:54:41 PM8/25/17
On 25/08/2017 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
> It made me laugh when Polaroid, or more rightly the Land family, won a
> patent infringement suite over Kodaks instant picture cameras. Kodak,
> although they used a different process, used the same basic idea and way of
> implementing it. Now these days of course Kodak and Polaroid are no longer
> functioning companies. Both have been overtaken by the digital way, even
> though it was Kodak engineers who built the first ccd camera element. they
> simply saw it as useful for things like satellites and defence.

You can still get instant picture cameras using FujiFilm Instax film, if
you like the nostalgia.

--
Max Demian

Vir Campestris

Aug 25, 2017, 4:15:54 PM8/25/17
On 25/08/2017 14:29, Brian Gaff wrote:
> The trouble with the Heinz tv is that it only has 57 channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAlDbP4tdqc
AKA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/57_Channels_(And_Nothin%27_On)

Andy

Vir Campestris

Aug 25, 2017, 4:40:21 PM8/25/17
On 25/08/2017 15:42, Indy Jess John wrote:
> Kodak did make and sell a digital camera.  I bought one from Dixons in
> 2001.

I still have and use a Kodak DX6490 digital camera. It's only 4MP, which
is not a lot these days - but the glass is pretty good, certainly good
enough to blow up to A4. I've taken over 10,000 pictures with it. I
_think_ the counter has only gone around once...

The little lightweight one I bought when I left mine behind once has
dies at half the age. No backlight, and I must decide whether it's worth
replacing the screen when I get a (r)tooit

Andy

Ian Field

Aug 25, 2017, 4:49:07 PM8/25/17

"Roderick Stewart" <rj...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
> film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,
> mostly nothing to do with film at all. Most large retail places
> nowadays have a name they just seem to have stuck on a lot of products
> to make them their own brand by implying they all come from one
> trusted source. In reality, my understanding is that they just come
> from whichever Chinese sweatshop happens to be free this week, so
> these "own brand" names although presumably intended to imply
> consistency are no guarantee of it at all. Remember Matsui, for
> example? Then there's PC World with their brand "AOC", which I've seen
> explained as standing for "Any Old Crap" (though I'm sure that can't
> be justified at all of course).
>
> Maybe the marketing people think it's easier to adopt an existing name
> that's already well known (regardless of what it's actually well known
> for) than to try to invent a new one, and that lots of people will
> think it's good and buy it anyway. Maybe they're right. Maybe your
> prediction of a Heinz TV is not so far fetched after all. If I ever
> see one, I'll remember who thought of it first.

There seems to be an epidemic of trusted brand names on any old crap.

I have a pack of "Kodak" batteries from Łland - JCB, Panasonic, hitachi,
Philips - the list is endless.

Most of the big Japanese brands have outsourced to the cheapest production
facilities they could find - My Hitachi DAB/CD etc was a no name Chinese
job, and Hitachi didn't even know if any service info ever existed.

Ian Field

Aug 25, 2017, 4:51:38 PM8/25/17

"Indy Jess John" <jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 25/08/2017 14:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Now these days of course Kodak and Polaroid are no longer
>> functioning companies. Both have been overtaken by the digital way
>
> Kodak did make and sell a digital camera. I bought one from Dixons in
> 2001.

I salvaged a Kodak digital camera but never found any drivers - and it uses
a weird not quite SD card.

Ian Field

Aug 25, 2017, 4:59:47 PM8/25/17

"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 22:07:56 +0100, "johnt" <dono...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?
>>>
>>> 50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.
>>>
>>> The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
>>> about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.
>>>

>>There is a review (of sorts) here:
>>http://www.product-reviews.net/2016/11/22/polaroid-50-inch-4k-tv-p50us0956a-review-with-support-warning/
>>.....but £299 for a 50 inch TV does sound rather low. I tend to the view
>>that you pay for what you get.
>>

> Well yea - they want people to send in their comments because ...
> ermm ... they haven't reviewed it.
>
> Which? don't have anything on the "Polaroid" TV range which is
> annoying as they appear to be made by Vestel is quoted as:

The last Vestel TV I rescued from the bin room had a load of O/C LEDs in the
backlight - which shouldn't happen in a series chain...........

After labouriously seeking out and replacing a load of blown LEDs, a load
more had blown - but I cracked the glass in the struggle anyway.

AnthonyL

Aug 26, 2017, 7:50:53 AM8/26/17
That's 'cause YOU know what's inside YOUR head. I've given up trying.

--
AnthonyL

Ian Field

Aug 26, 2017, 2:13:59 PM8/26/17

"brightside S9" <address@replyto_is_not.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 21:49:03 +0100, "Ian Field"
> <gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>

>>Most of the big Japanese brands have outsourced to the cheapest production
>>facilities they could find - My Hitachi DAB/CD etc was a no name Chinese
>>job, and Hitachi didn't even know if any service info ever existed.
>
> Some time ago I used the FCC number on a product to find the
> manufacturer. See https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid
> Whether that still gives the manufacturer of the final product I am no
> longer sure.

There were lots of screws, so I started by peering through the vents with a
flashlight - and just happened to spot a bulged electrolytic.

R. Mark Clayton

Aug 27, 2017, 7:15:13 AM8/27/17
You can sometimes find these with your nose - switch off first!

Ian Field

Aug 27, 2017, 3:49:18 PM8/27/17

"R. Mark Clayton" <notya...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Growing pile of ATX PSUs that confuse hard drives - so I took the fan off,
ran one into a dummy load and see which electrolytics get hot.

I have the proper test instrument, but its a lot of work and mistakes can
happen - it just gets used to check the replacements are better than what I
took out.

tim...

Aug 28, 2017, 10:33:54 AM8/28/17

"Roderick Stewart" <rj...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Polaroid was originally the company that made instant photographic
> film and the cameras that used it. Now they seem to make everything,

I suspect that they *make* nothing

it is just a name that is badged onto someone else's product

tim

tim...

Aug 28, 2017, 10:56:59 AM8/28/17

"Ian Field" <gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote in message
the terminology used here is:

OEM and ODM

an OEM product is a way of filling a hole in your product range by buying an
off the shelf product from another company and simply sticking your badge on
the front (and occasionally changing the plastic casing). This specific
product could be sold under a range of different brand names either as other
OEMs or with the actual manufacture's name on the badge.

an ODM product is a way of filling a hole in your product range by
contracting another electronic manufacturer to design and manufacture a
product to your exact specification. This specific produce will be unique
to you.

The actual manufacturer in either case could be a known brand (as in the
case of the badged Hitachi products) or a sweat shop Chinese knock-off shop.

(looking at the pictures) the Polaroid TV that the OP is asking about is
almost certainly the same OEM that I have in my lounge badged as Bosch and
which is also available badged as Sharp.

My analysis is:

the Smart TV feature is rubbish, My Hummy PVR has a much better interface
and as such I will never use the smart feature on the TV - I could have
saved 50 quid by buying the dumb variant [1].

The sound is not brilliant. Could be better

The brightness is OK most of the time, but occasionally the contrast sucks
(and changing the contrast setting doesn't fix it - you need ramp up the
brightness which washes out the colour - BBC drama seems most at fault here)

the colour is OK

At the price I paid it's OK, but you can get better by spending three times
as much

tim

[1] Actually I couldn't - I got my TV in a Black Friday promotion at 150
quid off, and only the smart variant was available

tim...

Aug 28, 2017, 11:03:02 AM8/28/17

"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
Vestel PVR's were feature-wise some of the best in the market and they have
an excellent attitude towards usability testing.

unfortunately their power supply components were not so good

after 2 years your box would be scrap as replacing the power supply board
costs more than buying a new machine - they now come with external power
supplies

As a comparison my Hummy bought a year later is still going after 7 years,
but has ridiculous bugs in the user interface that they have no interest in
correcting

tim

David

Aug 31, 2017, 3:44:15 PM8/31/17
On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

> On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
>> Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?
>>
>> 50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.
>>
>> The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
>> about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.
>>

> Dreadful tellys
>
> Bill

Which? tends to agree with you.

Cheers

Dave R

---

johnt

Aug 31, 2017, 4:58:12 PM8/31/17

"David" <wib...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:
>
>> On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
>>> Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?
>>>
>>> 50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.
>>>
>>> The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
>>> about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.
>>>

>> Dreadful tellys
>>
>> Bill
>

> Which? tends to agree with you.

If "Which?" says it is good, I tend to avoid it. And vice versa. The
Consumers Association was, at one time, an honourable organisation but imho
it is now totally useless. Have they ever tested Kimber cable?

--
JohnT

AnthonyL

Aug 31, 2017, 5:04:46 PM8/31/17
On 31 Aug 2017 19:44:13 GMT, David <wib...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 13:27:03 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:
>
>> On 24/08/2017 12:47, AnthonyL wrote:
>>> Anyone any experience of these Polaroid TVs?
>>>
>>> 50" Full HD Smart LED at £299.
>>>
>>> The old 28" is just too small especially for sports. Not bothered
>>> about internet connectivity as not fast enough broadband.
>>>

>> Dreadful tellys
>>
>> Bill
>

>Which? tends to agree with you.

I'm a subscriber and I couldn't find any reference to Polaroid TVs,
where/how did you find them?

--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL

Aug 31, 2017, 5:09:04 PM8/31/17
On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 17:02:06 +0200, "tim..." <tims_n...@yahoo.com>
Interesting as the Topfields also had some cr@p power supply
components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
as a kit which I've done. and of course the poor user interface was
superseded by the MyStuff set of apps and firmware which is even hard
to surpass on more recent devices.

--
AnthonyL

Ian Field

Aug 31, 2017, 5:25:36 PM8/31/17

"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
Some of the consumer electronics component outlets were offering PSU
capacitor kits for a whole range of STB type devices. It wasn't just one
make.

There's a "badcaps" blog about capacitors, particularly relating to PC
motherboards. The story goes something along the lines of; an industrial
espionage operation succeeded in lifting an incomplete electrolyte formula.
Apparently the culprit was a very big supplier.................

AnthonyL

Sep 1, 2017, 7:25:01 AM9/1/17
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:58:11 +0100, "johnt" <dono...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I sort of agree with your sentiments and if you know anything about an
item the chances are you'll know more than Which. But it still makes
you look at specs and performance even if you have to go elsewhere for
opinion, unfortunately there are those on here who deem it sufficient
to pronounce without any substantiation.

--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL

Sep 1, 2017, 7:34:33 AM9/1/17

Indy Jess John

Sep 2, 2017, 1:54:46 PM9/2/17
On 02/09/2017 15:35, damdu...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2017 15:42:25 +0100, Indy Jess John
> <jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Kodak did make and sell a digital camera. I bought one from Dixons in 2001.
>>
> Late to comment on this but I have one of those too bought back then,
> The camera has hardly been used for 12 ish years now and I just use
> once or twice a year just to make sure it is still alive.
> It came with eight AA rechargeable batteries , I don't know who made
> them for Kodak but they have turned out to be one of the longest
> lasting ones I have had

I only got 4 rechargeables with my camera, but like you said, they were
really good batteries, and they do still charge and hold a charge for a
while.

However I use that camera so rarely now that the Kodak batteries always
needed recharging before use. So I got a set of "hybrid" batteries that
will hold a charge for about a year or so. Then I know that if I pick
the camera up it will take a few photos even if it hasn't had the
batteries charged for ages. It has a wider angle lens than my
Panasonic, so there are sometimes genuine reasons for using it.

Jim

Ian Field

Sep 2, 2017, 4:48:58 PM9/2/17

"Indy Jess John" <jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
You can get some standard size rechargeable lithium, but the terminal
voltage is double. You have to have an even number of cells so you can
replace half of them with dummy cells.

The self discharge takes a *LONG* time - but they're a fire risk if you
don't follow strict rules when charging them.

Mike

Sep 2, 2017, 6:20:04 PM9/2/17
In article <59a87a28...@news.eternal-september.org>,
AnthonyL <nos...@please.invalid> wrote:

>Interesting as the Topfields also had some cr@p power supply
>components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
>as a kit which I've done.

That is *so* last year's advice :)

It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
fat one across the rectified mains!

Seriously: If you only did 8 or 9, the rest will be getting tired
real soon :(

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk

David

Sep 3, 2017, 11:42:14 AM9/3/17
They did a round up recently and said that they only had one Best Buy
(IIRC) from all the badge engineered TVs from Turkey, which I think
includes Vestel and the Polaroid.

All the rest of the Best Buys were from the usual suspects who make their
own TVs e.g. Pansonic, Samsung, LG.

I'll have a look around and see if I can find the article; I think it was
in the last couple of months.

David

Sep 3, 2017, 11:46:32 AM9/3/17
On Sun, 03 Sep 2017 15:42:11 +0000, David wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:04:44 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

>>>Which? tends to agree with you.
>>>

>> I'm a subscriber and I couldn't find any reference to Polaroid TVs,
>> where/how did you find them?
>
> They did a round up recently and said that they only had one Best Buy
> (IIRC) from all the badge engineered TVs from Turkey, which I think
> includes Vestel and the Polaroid.
>
> All the rest of the Best Buys were from the usual suspects who make
> their own TVs e.g. Pansonic, Samsung, LG.
>
> I'll have a look around and see if I can find the article; I think it
> was in the last couple of months.

Which says:

"Four brands dominate the TV market: Samsung, LG, Sony and Panasonic.
But some less well-known TVs manufacturers – the likes of Bush, JVC and
Celcus – may catch your eye with prices that are difficult to refuse.
Is it ever worth punting for one of these smaller brands?
Well, the numbers speak for themselves.
Between June 2014 and June 2017, we reviewed 616 TVs from Samsung, LG,
Sony and Panasonic.
They have a respectable average test score of 64% and 147 of those have
been deemed worthy of a Best Buy.
We’ve tested 124 TVs from other brands.
But these only manage a lowly 46% average test score, just marginally
above the Don’t Buy mark.
In fact, 45% have been judged to be Don’t Buys. And the number of Best
Buys? Merely one.

Read more: http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/best-tv-
deals-in-the-uk-for-2017 - Which?"

This was in the latest email so the full article is probably in the latest
paper copy.

Ian Field

Sep 3, 2017, 12:38:24 PM9/3/17

"Mike" <m...@signal11.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <59a87a28...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> AnthonyL <nos...@please.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Interesting as the Topfields also had some cr@p power supply
>>components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
>>as a kit which I've done.
>
> That is *so* last year's advice :)
>
> It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
> fat one across the rectified mains!
>
> Seriously: If you only did 8 or 9, the rest will be getting tired
> real soon :(

The rectifier reservoir isn't completely immune.

some manufacturers use the least they can get away with.

Ian Field

Sep 3, 2017, 12:54:12 PM9/3/17

"Mike" <m...@signal11.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <59a87a28...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> AnthonyL <nos...@please.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Interesting as the Topfields also had some cr@p power supply
>>components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
>>as a kit which I've done.
>
> That is *so* last year's advice :)
>
> It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
> fat one across the rectified mains!
>
> Seriously: If you only did 8 or 9, the rest will be getting tired
> real soon :(

To add to my other comment - anything with a PFC front end presents a
different situation.

There is no rectifier reservoir, just a foil/film cap for noise suppression.
The approximately 320V rough DC is fed to what is essentially a flyback
boost converter. That charges the reservoir cap, which is usually rated
450V. The PFC front end is a kind of SMPSU, so the reservoir gets the same
kind of stresses as the secondary side filter electrolytics.

Some ATX PSus have a dirty great PFC choke on the mains input - so none of
that applies.

Mike

Sep 3, 2017, 4:50:04 PM9/3/17
In article <SsWqB.1122096$WI6.9...@fx30.am4>,
Ian Field <gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>> It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
>> fat one across the rectified mains!

>To add to my other comment - anything with a PFC front end presents a
>different situation.

True: But fortunately not relevant to the Topfield, it's a regular
SMPSU (common mode choke, filter caps, bridge, reservoir -> chip).

AnthonyL

Sep 4, 2017, 7:34:27 AM9/4/17
Thanks for the pointer. Silly me - I searched ASDA and didn't find
anything so I've looked at your article on-line which doesn't state
which one crept into the Best Buy so I then went through all the Best
Buys and Don't Buys on-line and still no mention.

I'll try reading the magazine but I suspect I've already tried that -
hence my need to post on here in the first place.

--
AnthonyL

tim...

Sep 4, 2017, 8:46:36 AM9/4/17

"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
I don't think that the average user can be expected to solder on a few
capacitors

at worst they might be willing to replace the complete board. but the
replacement price of that board precluded that as a sensible solution

there's no reason for that

Replacement parts don't need to be sold as part of their own profit centre
at 4 times the build cost. They could be sold at a very small margin over
cost and consider the rest as part of the marketing costs of gaining a
reputation for being a fair company

Having suffered this failure, I will never buy a Vestel recorder again

tim

tim...

Sep 4, 2017, 8:49:51 AM9/4/17

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 21:04:44 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

>>>Which? tends to agree with you.
>>>

>> I'm a subscriber and I couldn't find any reference to Polaroid TVs,
>> where/how did you find them?
>
> They did a round up recently and said that they only had one Best Buy
> (IIRC) from all the badge engineered TVs from Turkey, which I think
> includes Vestel and the Polaroid.
>
> All the rest of the Best Buys were from the usual suspects who make their
> own TVs e.g. Pansonic, Samsung, LG.

but "not a best buy" does not equal "dreadful telly".

It could have missed being a best buy because it lacked one tiny feature
that a similar priced telly had, even though in every other area it
performed perfectly

tim

tim...

Sep 4, 2017, 9:03:24 AM9/4/17

"David" <wib...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
if which's scores go from 64% equals best in class

to 45% don't touch with barge pole (despite being less than half the price)

there is something serious wrong with Which's scoring IMHO.

I'd quite happily buy a 50% less "good" telly for a 75% costs saving

Which really have to take into account the cost of electronic items when
they compare them and not just pitch that the extras that you get with the
the most expensive make that always the best (assuming that it does perform
well)

They don't so this with cars and say you should never ever buy a Ford Fiesta
because a BMW 5 Series performs so much better, they accept that the Fiesta
only competes in the market with other small minis at circa 15K and rank
them accordingly

they should do the same with electronic items

It's because they didn't do this 20 years ago that I stopped being a
subscriber, and it seems they still do it now

If I'm in the market for a 200 pound telly, I want to know the best 200
pound telly

I don't want some smart arse techno-snob telling me that all 200 pound
tellies are useless and that I should spend 800 pounds.

tim

Ian Field

Sep 4, 2017, 4:46:48 PM9/4/17

> In article <SsWqB.1122096$WI6.9...@fx30.am4>,
> Ian Field <gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>>> It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
>>> fat one across the rectified mains!
>
>>To add to my other comment - anything with a PFC front end presents a
>>different situation.
>
> True: But fortunately not relevant to the Topfield, it's a regular
> SMPSU (common mode choke, filter caps, bridge, reservoir -> chip).

The common mode choke has nothing to do with PFC either.

Ian Field

Sep 4, 2017, 4:48:19 PM9/4/17

"tim..." <tims_n...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
"they all do that sir..........."

Ian Field

Sep 4, 2017, 4:55:18 PM9/4/17

"Mike" <m...@signal11.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <SsWqB.1122096$WI6.9...@fx30.am4>,
> Ian Field <gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>>> It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
>>> fat one across the rectified mains!
>
>>To add to my other comment - anything with a PFC front end presents a
>>different situation.
>
> True: But fortunately not relevant to the Topfield, it's a regular
> SMPSU (common mode choke, filter caps, bridge, reservoir -> chip).

That's not entirely accurate - the conventional reservoir may be charged by
100Hz half cycles, but its discharged by SMPSU pulses.

They don't fail as quickly as the secondary side filter electrolytics, but
I've had to replace a few - and they aren't cheap.

tim...

Sep 5, 2017, 3:22:30 AM9/5/17

> "tim..." <tims_n...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> Having suffered this failure, I will never buy a Vestel recorder again
>
> "they all do that sir..........."

but they don't

my 7 year old Hummy is still working

tim

Indy Jess John

Sep 5, 2017, 3:42:47 AM9/5/17
On 05/09/2017 08:21, tim... wrote:

> "Ian Field"<gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote in message
>>

>> "tim..."<tims_n...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

>>> Having suffered this failure, I will never buy a Vestel recorder again
>>
>> "they all do that sir..........."
>
> but they don't

He meant "All Vestel recorders do that sir ...."
;-)

Jim

tim...

Sep 5, 2017, 4:58:05 AM9/5/17

"Indy Jess John" <jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
how's that a useful reply to

"because of this incident I will never buy another Vestel"

(As I have said previously, it wasn't the fact that it broke that pee-ed me
off. It was the ridiculously high charge for the replacement part - more
than half the price of buying a new machine just for a part that is
incidental to any of the costly new technology in the machine.)

tim

Indy Jess John

Sep 5, 2017, 7:30:44 AM9/5/17
On 05/09/2017 09:57, tim... wrote:

> "Indy Jess John"<jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On 05/09/2017 08:21, tim... wrote:
>>>

>>> "Ian Field"<gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote in message

>>> but they don't
>>>

>> He meant "All Vestel recorders do that sir ...."
>
> how's that a useful reply to
>
> "because of this incident I will never buy another Vestel"

It wasn't. It was a useful reply to "they all do that sir..........."
and the reply that said Humax ones don't.

> (As I have said previously, it wasn't the fact that it broke that pee-ed me
> off. It was the ridiculously high charge for the replacement part - more
> than half the price of buying a new machine just for a part that is
> incidental to any of the costly new technology in the machine.)

I can't argue with that.

I think there might be a business model that ensures built in
obsolescence and replacement business, but forecloses the argument that
"if a spare had been available I would have mended it".

Twice I have been faced with something apparently repairable where it
was actually cheaper to buy a whole new unit replacement.

Jim

AnthonyL

Sep 5, 2017, 7:31:56 AM9/5/17
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 23:03:21 +0100 (BST), m...@signal11.invalid (Mike)
wrote:

>In article <59a87a28...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>AnthonyL <nos...@please.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Interesting as the Topfields also had some cr@p power supply
>>components, there's a list of 8 or 9 capacitors which can be purchased
>>as a kit which I've done.
>
>That is *so* last year's advice :)
>
>It's up to at least 13 caps now, basically everything but the big
>fat one across the rectified mains!
>
>Seriously: If you only did 8 or 9, the rest will be getting tired
>real soon :(

Noted thanks though the Toppy guru at toppy.org.uk doesn't seem overly
concerned about the other 4.

--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL

Sep 5, 2017, 7:41:08 AM9/5/17

Indy Jess John

Sep 5, 2017, 8:45:39 AM9/5/17
On 05/09/2017 12:41, AnthonyL wrote:
> On 3 Sep 2017 15:46:29 GMT, David<wib...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> They did a round up recently and said that they only had one Best Buy
>>> (IIRC) from all the badge engineered TVs from Turkey, which I think
>>> includes Vestel and the Polaroid.
>>>
>>> All the rest of the Best Buys were from the usual suspects who make
>>> their own TVs e.g. Pansonic, Samsung, LG.
>>>
>>> I'll have a look around and see if I can find the article; I think it
>>> was in the last couple of months.
>>
>> Which says:
>>
>> "Four brands dominate the TV market: Samsung, LG, Sony and Panasonic.
>> But some less well-known TVs manufacturers – the likes of Bush, JVC and
>> Celcus – may catch your eye with prices that are difficult to refuse.
>> Is it ever worth punting for one of these smaller brands?
>> Well, the numbers speak for themselves.
>> Between June 2014 and June 2017, we reviewed 616 TVs from Samsung, LG,
>> Sony and Panasonic.
>> They have a respectable average test score of 64% and 147 of those have
>> been deemed worthy of a Best Buy.
>> We’ve tested 124 TVs from other brands.
>> But these only manage a lowly 46% average test score, just marginally
>> above the Don’t Buy mark.
>> In fact, 45% have been judged to be Don’t Buys. And the number of Best
>> Buys? Merely one.
>>
>> Read more: http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/best-tv-
>> deals-in-the-uk-for-2017 - Which?"
>>
>> This was in the latest email so the full article is probably in the latest
>> paper copy.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

> Thanks for the pointer. Silly me - I searched ASDA and didn't find
> anything so I've looked at your article on-line which doesn't state
> which one crept into the Best Buy so I then went through all the Best
> Buys and Don't Buys on-line and still no mention.
>
> I'll try reading the magazine but I suspect I've already tried that -
> hence my need to post on here in the first place.

I looked at the printed September review, and there was no mention of
Polaroid. Then I looked at the August summary of TV recommendations and
there was again no mention of Polaroid.

So I logged into the Which? website and did a search on Polaroid TV, and
found
<quote>
Polaroid MSDV3233-U3 review

Not tested

32"View specifications

Typical price
£0.00

Polaroid TVs are sold mainly at supermarket chain Asda. For very
affordable prices, you can get a small TV with a built-in DVD player, or
even a large screen Polaroid TV for a living room. However, whenever we
test Polaroid TVs in the lab they tend to struggle, and sometimes are
named Don't Buy TVs. We typically find problems across picture and sound
quality, plus ease of use.

What's the screen like?

This TV’s screen size is well-suited for smaller living rooms or a
second room - such as a bedroom or kitchen. It’s best watched at a
viewing distance of between one and two meters.

This TV has an LED screen. LED TVs are typically slimmer and more energy
efficient than LCD or plasma TVs, and they tend to have brighter,
crisper pictures, too. Manufacturers now favour LED over other screen
types for the majority of their new models. Confusingly, LED TVs still
required a LCD layer to direct light to different areas of the screen -
they differ from 'traditional' LCD screens as they are backlit by LEDs
rather than flourescent lamps.

What can I watch?

Like most TVs, this set has an integrated Freeview tuner, meaning it
will pick up free-to-view digital channels through a TV aerial without
the need for an external Freeview box. Freeview gives you access to up
to 24 radio stations and around 50 standard-definition TV channels,
including the traditional terrestrial channels, plus channels launched
or made available for free since the advent of digital, such as BBC
Four, BBC News 24, Film4, ITV2, ITV3 and Sky News.

This TV has a Freeview HD tuner, meaning you won’t need an extra box to
receive high-definition, free-to-view digital channels - just plug in
your regular TV aerial and you're ready to watch. There are over 10 HD
channels available on Freeview, including BBC One HD, BBC Two HD, ITV HD
and Channel 4 HD.

This isn’t a smart TV, so you won’t be able to enjoy web-based services
such as catch-up TV (from BBC iPlayer for example), film subscription
services such as Amazon or Netflix, or browse the internet.

Should I buy it?

Here's what we do know about the Polaroid MSDV3233-U3
Summary
Screen size 32
Height 52
Width 81
Depth 14
Weight 6.1

Screen type
Display type LCD
Backlight LED
Screen resolution 1366 x 768

<end quote>

If you are a member and you log in, this is found under
http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/polaroid-msdv3233u3

That was the only mention of Polaroid TV using the Which? article search.

Jim

Ian Field

Sep 5, 2017, 2:22:32 PM9/5/17

> On 05/09/2017 09:57, tim... wrote:
>>

>> "Indy Jess John"<jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> He meant "All Vestel recorders do that sir ...."
>>
>> how's that a useful reply to
>>
>> "because of this incident I will never buy another Vestel"
>
> It wasn't. It was a useful reply to "they all do that sir..........." and
> the reply that said Humax ones don't.

My Humax may not have dodgy electrolytics - but its slower than a M$ OS.

That could actually be failing electrolytics, they still sort of work with
too much ripple on the supply rails. Usually I don't open them up till they
conk out properly.

A Thomson PVR that I re capped was reluctant to come out of standby -
another look found a small seemingly insignificant cap that I thought wasn't
PSU filtering.

tim...

Sep 5, 2017, 3:55:20 PM9/5/17

> "Indy Jess John" <jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On 05/09/2017 09:57, tim... wrote:
>>>

>>> "Indy Jess John"<jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> how's that a useful reply to
>>>
>>> "because of this incident I will never buy another Vestel"
>>
>> It wasn't. It was a useful reply to "they all do that sir..........."
>> and the reply that said Humax ones don't.
>
> My Humax may not have dodgy electrolytics - but its slower than a M$ OS.

I thought that I had covered this before

it's because it has embedded Linux inside and embedded Linux is a pig -
unless you have experienced engineers capable of tweaking it to make it work
adequately (IME you can never make its performance stunning! Except by
putting a much bigger than necessary processor inside, of course)

and my experience of the work produced by Hummy's engineers in other areas
of the product, suggests that they don't employ sufficiently experienced
engineers to be able to do that.

tim

Ian Field

Sep 5, 2017, 5:13:33 PM9/5/17

"tim..." <tims_n...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
My PC has M$ & Linux boot drives available by swapping the SATA lead from
one drive to the other - most things are blindingly fast when running Linux,
but moving files seems to have more comprehensive safeguards and is often
slower.

AnthonyL

Sep 7, 2017, 4:40:28 AM9/7/17
Yes about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

And just about as bad is the headline on the current on-line version
regarding the new Aldi 49" tv - basically - we haven't tested it but
we don't rate budget TVs very much anyway so it's not likely to be any
good. And I pay how much a year for these pearls of wisdom?

--
AnthonyL

tim...

Sep 8, 2017, 4:41:50 AM9/8/17

"Ian Field" <gangprobi...@virginmedia.com> wrote in message
but that is not being used as an embedded OS, is it?

sometimes the display will hang up, won't it (it does on all Windows based
machines, sometimes for 10s of seconds), whilst the processor is performing
more critical tasks

That is seen as an acceptable thing to do on a PC. It is completely
unacceptable on an embedded system where the user interface must be
responded to/updated immediately.

tim

tim...

Sep 8, 2017, 4:42:12 AM9/8/17

"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
and define "any good"

As I have said, I have one of these budget TV's on in the corner of the room
right now

and

sometimes I have to turn the sound up a bit

and sometimes I have to fiddle with the brightness and contrast on some of
these moody historical dramas.

but what the heck, basically it works fine and I have 500 pounds in my
wallet that I otherwise might not have had

tim

Indy Jess John

Sep 8, 2017, 7:54:59 AM9/8/17
On 07/09/2017 13:48, tim... wrote:

> and sometimes I have to fiddle with the brightness and contrast on some of
> these moody historical dramas.

Most people who can be bothered do that. Such programmes are broadcast
too dark to view the details properly.

Jim

AnthonyL

Sep 9, 2017, 5:03:00 AM9/9/17
So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
They just are not available, eg the Samsung UE50KU6000 which is just
the right size (50") is only listed on Amazon and not at any of the
major high street retailers. This has happened to me before when I
wanted a washing machine and the recently reviewed Bosch wasn't
anywhere to be found.

So how do Which decide which models to test? Those given to them by
the manufacturer?

Now given that 48% of Samsungs are best buys, that means 52% of
Samsungs may not be best buys so buying a model that isn't on their
list carries a risk.

--
AnthonyL

Indy Jess John

Sep 9, 2017, 7:51:27 AM9/9/17
On 09/09/2017 10:02, AnthonyL wrote:

> So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
> They just are not available, eg the Samsung UE50KU6000 which is just
> the right size (50") is only listed on Amazon and not at any of the
> major high street retailers. This has happened to me before when I
> wanted a washing machine and the recently reviewed Bosch wasn't
> anywhere to be found.

I did a search of UK sites and found that Argos can supply a user manual
for the Samsung UE50KU6000 but the television is not currently listed as
a stock item. It does suggest that it might be added to the catalogue
at a later date.

Jim

Dave W

Sep 9, 2017, 12:34:33 PM9/9/17

"Indy Jess John" <jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
It suggests to me that Argos no longer sells it but stocks the manual for
people who bought one.
--
Dave W

AnthonyL

Sep 10, 2017, 7:51:59 AM9/10/17
On 9 Sep 2017 16:24:58 GMT, Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

>On 2017-09-09, AnthonyL <nos...@please.invalid> wrote:
>
>[63 lines snipped]
>
>> So I've started to look for the recommended TVs in September's issue.
>> They just are not available, eg the Samsung
>
>Don't buy a Samsung. They're shit.

You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?

--
AnthonyL

Ian Field

Sep 10, 2017, 2:17:13 PM9/10/17

> Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

How many legs? - might help with identification........................

Ian Field

Sep 10, 2017, 2:20:13 PM9/10/17

"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
Samsung haven't been getting the kind of publicity that would make me rush
out and buy one.

It would take the sort of pricing that I could write off without much
resentment.

Bill Wright

Sep 10, 2017, 4:22:38 PM9/10/17
My Samsung works fine but I can't understand the menus. It could be me.

Bill

Bill Wright

Sep 10, 2017, 4:27:17 PM9/10/17
On 10/09/2017 16:32, Huge wrote:

>> You're not related to Bill Wright by any chance?
>
> Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

This is true. I am a god.
Bill

tim...

Sep 10, 2017, 4:33:32 PM9/10/17

"Indy Jess John" <jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
It wasn't the broadcast though

I was playing in back on my PVR so I plugged the output into my other telly

and it was definitely a problem with the telly

tim

Indy Jess John

Sep 10, 2017, 5:15:10 PM9/10/17
I have never owned a Samsung TV, but I did once invest (?) in a Samsung
PVR. I never did get the Series Record to collect an entire series.
After 2 or 3 episodes it would unset itself or just not notice the next
episode and therefore remain on a past date.

I bought a Humax instead. It was the first time I ever replaced
something that wasn't broken or obsolete.

Jim

AnthonyL

Sep 10, 2017, 5:53:17 PM9/10/17
On 10 Sep 2017 15:32:00 GMT, Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:
>Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.

Well all I've learnt from the pair of you is that Polaroid are shit
and Samsung are shit, though in both cases with no explanation nor
helpful alternative suggestions.

--
AnthonyL

johnt

Sep 10, 2017, 6:26:07 PM9/10/17

"AnthonyL" <nos...@please.invalid> wrote in message
It is probably stating the obvious, but I find when purchasing a TV that
price is related to quality. I bought a 49" Panasonic UHD TV about a year
back for £700 and am very happy with it. Prior to that I had a good Sony TV
and that too was good. Polaroid is now just a name. The original Company
never made TVs. Kodak is now also just a name. I think that Blaupunkt TVs
are now available again. But that nowadays is just a name for low price low
quality goods.
--
JohnT

David Wade

Sep 11, 2017, 5:04:49 AM9/11/17
The trouble is that with the quality TV's comes a pile of "crap" that
you don't need. I have an LG Freeview TV. I mostly use it with my
YouView box because:-

1. the TV has some of the catch up players but is missing others
2. The freeview box will is dual tuner so will record multiple programs
3. the freeview box will play missed content from the program guide.
so if my wife has missed a soap episode, scroll back in the guide, click
on the program and it plays.
4. when I display the program guide in the TV the channel stops playing.
5. the TV came with Skype but its now discontinued. It would have been
nice to chat to the family full screen.
6. it also has a satellite tuner!

so what I really want is a dump TV with a high quality panel and these
are not available. I resent paying for features I don't use.

As for discarding working equipment I am now on my third or fourth
generation "digi boxes" as the various upgrades to the system have
either killed the boxes or rendered them so slow as to stutter all the
time. It looks like my kitchen TV may go the same way if some channels
become HD only as I believe is proposed..

Dave

AnthonyL

Sep 11, 2017, 7:32:03 AM9/11/17
On 11 Sep 2017 09:02:11 GMT, Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

>On 2017-09-10, johnt <dono...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>[26 lines snipped]
>
>> It is probably stating the obvious, but I find when purchasing a TV that
>> price is related to quality.
>
>Sadly not. The Samsung was a lot of money.
>
>> I bought a 49" Panasonic
>
>I won't buy Panasonic stuff, either, because of the DVR I foolishly
>bought on the basis of Internet reviews. It's an even bigger PoS than
>the Samsung telly.

So what are you happy with because if it satisfies you it sure as hell
is going to please me?

--
AnthonyL

AnthonyL

Sep 11, 2017, 7:33:49 AM9/11/17
>I wish I could offer one, and then I could have bought one. One suggestion
>I would make is not to buy a "Smart" TV - get a dumb one and a STB to
>do the "smart" stuff - Roku has been recommended to me by a couple
>of people. We bought Sony for decades but were talked out of it
>by the salesman in John Lewis, which is why we ended up with a Samsung
>(spit). Part of the problem is that we buy TVs *very* rarely. Essentially
>only when they fail terminally, so we don't have any experience when it
>comes to buying a new one.

That's why I on here doh!

--
AnthonyL

charles

Sep 11, 2017, 8:33:19 AM9/11/17
In article <f1ncsg...@mid.individual.net>,
Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:
> Gawd knows. The one lesson I've learned is that I'm not buying anything
> on the basis of Internet reviews or the word of a salescreature, even
> a John Lewis one. I want to have actual hands-on experience before I
> buy.

how many shops will allow you to do that?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

JNugent

Sep 11, 2017, 9:02:26 AM9/11/17
Richer Sounds will - as long as they have it on display.

After finding that Sony (non-smart) TV would not let you get a 4:3
picture on its HDMI channel (necessitating the use of a SCART connection
for such material in correct aspect ratio), I was very keen to make sure
that the replacement would allow all aspect ratios, irrespective of the
input method.

Indy Jess John

Sep 11, 2017, 11:24:23 AM9/11/17
On 11/09/2017 12:31, AnthonyL wrote:

> So what are you happy with because if it satisfies you it sure as hell
> is going to please me?

I bought an LG TV, but it was a 32in TV which most people will think is
too small. I am perfectly happy with it. I have no idea if the larger
screen sizes are comparable.

Jim

Tweed

Sep 11, 2017, 12:24:50 PM9/11/17
If it helps I've recently purchased this via Amazon. Samsung UE40KU6000k
40-inch TV. I've found it to be very good. The smart features have come on
leaps and bounds since my last Samsung TV. I think the early efforts at
smartness have poisoned the well a bit. All the standard iplayer type
things are there, and they can cope with you having to sign up as the BBC
et al require (it comes up with a unique code that you then have to enter
into a website on a normal computer/phone/tablet etc). Picture quality is
excellent, seems to even have the ability to record to some sort of USB
storage, though I've not tried that. Has an integrated wifi adapter. No
SCART connector, nor any provided adapter. How well the smart features
stand the test of time is anyone's guess.

Ian Field

Sep 11, 2017, 1:48:47 PM9/11/17

"johnt" <dono...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Familiar trusted brand names seem to get traded like stocks and shares.

Vestel probably has one of the longest list of badges.

Ian Field

Sep 11, 2017, 1:52:47 PM9/11/17

"charles" <cha...@candehope.me.uk> wrote in message
Mail order catalogues.

Ian Field

Sep 11, 2017, 2:01:21 PM9/11/17

"Indy Jess John" <jimw...@OMITblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
Manufacturers seem to be striving towards the least number of production
lines they can get away with.

If the whole range of TVs use the same PCBs - you only need a key card to
tell the pick and place machine which components to place for the version on
that production run.

Ian Field

Sep 11, 2017, 2:04:53 PM9/11/17

> On 2017-09-10, AnthonyL <nos...@please.invalid> wrote:

>>>Jhesus Christ, I hope not. He's not even a human being.
>>>

>> Well all I've learnt from the pair of you is that Polaroid are shit
>> and Samsung are shit, though in both cases with no explanation nor
>> helpful alternative suggestions.
>
> I wish I could offer one, and then I could have bought one. One suggestion
> I would make is not to buy a "Smart" TV - get a dumb one and a STB to
> do the "smart" stuff - Roku has been recommended to me by a couple
> of people. We bought Sony for decades but were talked out of it
> by the salesman in John Lewis, which is why we ended up with a Samsung
> (spit). Part of the problem is that we buy TVs *very* rarely. Essentially
> only when they fail terminally, so we don't have any experience when it
> comes to buying a new one.

Scrounging one on Freegle is much more satisfying than being able to count
the ribs on your wallet.

tony sayer

Sep 11, 2017, 5:28:43 PM9/11/17
In article <op4771$1ufi$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Bill Wright
<wrights...@f2s.com> scribeth thus
"All hail king Bill"!!....
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

Sep 11, 2017, 5:28:43 PM9/11/17
In article <f1nfqu...@mid.individual.net>, JNugent
<jenni...@fastmail.fm> scribeth thus
>On 11/09/2017 13:33, charles wrote:
>> In article <f1ncsg...@mid.individual.net>,
>> Huge <Hu...@nowhere.much.invalid> wrote:

>>> Gawd knows. The one lesson I've learned is that I'm not buying anything
>>> on the basis of Internet reviews or the word of a salescreature, even
>>> a John Lewis one. I want to have actual hands-on experience before I
>>> buy.
>>
>> how many shops will allow you to do that?
>
>Richer Sounds will - as long as they have it on display.

Sod that never heard such a load of bullshit when i went there last they
were an order worse then Currys!

John Lewes were quite good, a well informed young man there knew his
stuff - still this was a few years ago now...

--
Tony Sayer

JNugent

Sep 11, 2017, 7:45:03 PM9/11/17
I was assuming that a knowledgeable customer who knew what they were
looking for when trying a piece of equipment would not need advice from
a sales assistant.

I certainly didn't when I tried the aspect ratio witching on the set I
have at the moment.

Bill Wright

Sep 11, 2017, 10:17:35 PM9/11/17
I'm a god, not a mere king.

Bill

Alan White

Sep 12, 2017, 3:52:03 AM9/12/17
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:17:50 +0100, tony sayer <to...@bancom.co.uk>
wrote:

>"All hail king Bill"!!....

...and long may She reign!!

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.

Roderick Stewart

Sep 12, 2017, 4:03:39 AM9/12/17
wrote:

>"All hail king Bill"!!....

All hail ***king who?

Rod.

Roderick Stewart

Sep 12, 2017, 4:15:58 AM9/12/17
On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 16:24:47 +0000 (UTC), Tweed <gues...@who.com>
wrote:

>If it helps I've recently purchased this via Amazon. Samsung UE40KU6000k
>40-inch TV. I've found it to be very good. The smart features have come on
>leaps and bounds since my last Samsung TV. I think the early efforts at
>smartness have poisoned the well a bit.

"Smart" features will probably make even more leaps and bounds long
before you need to replace your TV, by which time the performance of
those features that are built in will look slow and primitive compared
with what is available in external boxes, or of course an expensive
new TV. Some of the features may no longer work at all. External boxes
are cheaper to replace than TVs, so they're the best way to keep up.

Rod.
It is loading more messages.