"No stereo yet"?

MB

Nov 19, 2022, 6:27:58 AM11/19/22

The Stage - Thursday 09 November 1972
No stereo yet
BECAUSE of a disagreement with the ABS on the distribution of stereo
signals to the Midlands, the broadcasting on BBC Radio 2 of stereo
programmes in that area which was due to start on Saturday, on an
experimental basis has had to be deferred.

What were they objecting to? I was wondering whether they wanted paying
twice as much with there being two channels. :-)

MB

Nov 19, 2022, 6:38:18 AM11/19/22
> twice as much with there being two channels. 😄

I came across this about Robert Woods after reading that, very
interesting. He was involved in what it claims was the world's first
stereo broadcast using 2LO and 5XX in 1926.

The Stage - Thursday 16 August 1979
A pioneer at the BBC
by Patrick Campbell
WHEN some future historian of the early days of British broadcasting
researches the library shelves for copy he will find no lack of
reminiscences from the radio personalities of the thirties and forties.
It is a book that nobody who remembers those days will want to miss and
that nobody who doesn't ought to. P.C.
(A World in Your Ear is published by Macmillan at £6.95

Chris Youlden

Nov 19, 2022, 2:28:50 PM11/19/22
On 19/11/2022 11:27, MB wrote:

Wasn't this the opening of the new PCM link from London to SC which
would carry the stereo networks, plus some contribution lines? If I have
the dates right, it would bypass control rooms/comms centres, and add
new responsibilities and digital equipment to TX staff?

Up to then, IIRC SC received R3 stereo by RBL?

--

Chris

Mark Carver

Nov 19, 2022, 3:16:14 PM11/19/22
On 19/11/2022 11:27, MB wrote:

It was a dispute whether the 'upkeep' of the PCM equipment and links
belonged to the studio or transmitter group I think ?

Wasn't the original plan to hand it all over to the GPO for on going
support ?

Brian Gaff

Nov 20, 2022, 8:12:07 AM11/20/22
Do you recall that I think it was BBC Leicester, made their own stereo
encoder and started sending their signals in stereo before the official
launch on local radio. Apparently the local engineers were castigated over
that one, mainly due to the equipment not being approved.
I say bah humbug.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"MB" <M...@nospam.net> wrote in message news:tlaf79$37c8f$2...@dont-email.me...
> On 19/11/2022 11:27, MB wrote:
>>
>> The Stage - Thursday 09 November 1972
>> No stereo yet
>> BECAUSE of a disagreement with the ABS on the distribution of stereo
>> signals to the Midlands, the broadcasting on BBC Radio 2 of stereo
>> programmes in that area which was due to start on Saturday, on an
>> experimental basis has had to be deferred.
>>

>> What were they objecting to? I was wondering whether they wanted paying
>> twice as much with there being two channels. ??

Alexander

Dec 7, 2022, 11:02:51 AM12/7/22

"Mark Carver" <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:jtsrsc...@mid.individual.net...

> It was a dispute whether the 'upkeep' of the PCM equipment and links
> belonged to the studio or transmitter group I think ?

As an aside, the feeds were 13-bit PCM in 1972.
In 2022 (and since the late 80s) it's only 10-bits (in Nicam range 1).
That's "progress"...

Scott

Dec 7, 2022, 11:08:58 AM12/7/22
It would be one of those disputes similar to whether the driver or the
guard should open the train doors. It used to be called
'demarcation'.

Mark Carver

Dec 7, 2022, 11:13:02 AM12/7/22
Bandwidth costs.

The continued use of a 5 MHz circuit just for 'radio' couldn't be
justified by the 1980s bean-counters, never mind today's

Alexander

Dec 7, 2022, 12:06:59 PM12/7/22

"Mark Carver" <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:jvbscc...@mid.individual.net...
Nowadays with modern network links there's more
bandwidth availble for less money.

But for bandwidth saving there are also much better lossy
audio codecs available than the 1970s one BBC are still
using.