LED strip lightconversion

Brian Gaff

Nov 10, 2022, 5:24:18 AM11/10/22
While on LED subject, which really should be in the DIY group, I have in
this room an old Thorne twin Florescent fitting with two 40 watt tubes in
it. Since I have no desire to remove the fitting and have to repaint the
ceiling, Can this fitting be converted to take a commonly available led
strip light. These are the fat tubes.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

John Williamson

Nov 10, 2022, 5:34:16 AM11/10/22
On 10/11/2022 10:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
> While on LED subject, which really should be in the DIY group, I have in
> this room an old Thorne twin Florescent fitting with two 40 watt tubes in
> it. Since I have no desire to remove the fitting and have to repaint the
> ceiling, Can this fitting be converted to take a commonly available led
> strip light. These are the fat tubes.
>
> Brian

If you check the pin spacing, these claim to be plug and play replacements.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lamps_and_Tubes_Index/LED_Tubes/index.html

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Robin

Nov 10, 2022, 5:39:42 AM11/10/22
Do you really want LED strip? Most people replace fluorescent tubes
with LED tubes. If your light has a starter can be done without
rewiring by swapping the starter.

--
Robin

Woody

Nov 10, 2022, 6:37:30 AM11/10/22
On Thu 10/11/2022 10:24, Brian Gaff wrote:

It depends which type of double tube assembly you have Brian. If it has
two tubes and one starter then you will need the type suggested by
another contributor which has a new ballast and two starters.

If your existing assembly has two chokes and two starters then all you
need is the tubes as they are supplied with a replacement starter as
well. The 'fat' tubes at 1½ inch diameter are known as T12 and you may
have difficulty finding a replacement. The common tubes these days are
T8 and one inch diameter - they are very widely available.

Although it may not affect you do note that almost anything other than
cool white (and even then possibly not) give out less light than and
equivalent fluorescent.

Adrian Caspersz

Nov 10, 2022, 7:49:31 AM11/10/22
On 10/11/2022 11:37, Woody wrote:

> Although it may not affect you do note that almost anything other than
> cool white (and even then possibly not) give out less light than and
> equivalent fluorescent.

Yup, but cool white makes the kitchen feel as cold as an coroners
autopsy room.

When I did a swap with TLCs finest, I bought both warm and cold types
and settled for warmth.

The light was a bit less, but after a few days not that noticeable.

--
Adrian C

Robin

Nov 10, 2022, 9:45:31 AM11/10/22
Top posted for Brian.

T8 LED tubes fit T12 fixtures. The pin spacings and lengths are the
same. Only the wiring may differ.

Brian Gaff

Nov 11, 2022, 4:48:44 AM11/11/22
Well depends what you mean, I think I mean I don't know what they might call
a pin for pin replacement tube with leds in it. I'd assumed you removed the
starters, but should you also remove the choke and capacitor as well or are
they effectively removed by removing the starters and the way the
replacements are designed electrically.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robin" <r...@outlook.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Nov 11, 2022, 4:54:00 AM11/11/22
They are the fat tubes, the fitting has two of everything including
starters.

It seems silly to carry on with what is there, since people tell me they
look a little dim anyway. Obviously myself I do not use the light, but
others who come into my house do. I have a single one of the same type in
the Kitchen as well, most of the other lights are CFLs and when they pop
their clogs I'll try to find electrically quiet LEDs, That is another issue,
RFI for somebody who wants to use a radio for short waves of course but I
can turn them off of course. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Woody" <harro...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Nov 11, 2022, 4:57:04 AM11/11/22
But this was always the same with the original tubes. Back in the day, my
Barber had two of these fittings and had all four seemingly with different
colour light and output, presumably just shoving in what he could get. One
was blue, one pink and one kind of green/yellow to the naked eye. The
fourth one was what I would call off white.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" <em...@here.invalid> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Nov 11, 2022, 4:57:35 AM11/11/22
To protect the innocent?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robin" <r...@outlook.com> wrote in message

John Williamson

Nov 11, 2022, 5:18:12 AM11/11/22

The ones I linked to are plug and play for most applications.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.