Marconi Wireless Telegraph (Locomotive?) No.1

MB

Oct 5, 2022, 9:24:48 AM10/5/22
I posted this on uk.railways, might interest someone here

Marconi Wireless Telegraph (Locomotive?) No.1

I wonder if any of their locomotives survive anywhere?

http://images.galwaylibrary.ie/greenstone/cgi-bin/library.cgi?a=q&r=1&hs=1&e=p-01000-00---off-0t3--00-1----01-10-00---0---0direct-10----4-------0-1l--11-en-50---20-about---00-3-1-00-00--4--0--0-0-11-10-0utfZz-8-00&fqf=CN&t=1&q=marconi+wireless+station+clifden

shorturl.at/eoxRS

Aristocratic Visitors to the Marconi Radio Station

MB

Oct 5, 2022, 9:27:59 AM10/5/22

I posted this on uk.railways, though might interest someone here.

Thunderbird is very flakey at the moment

Anyone know if any Marconi locomotived survive anywhere

shorturl.at/eoxRS

Brian Gaff

Oct 6, 2022, 6:22:41 AM10/6/22
Are these locomotives built by them or merely named after the product to
promote it?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

John Williamson

Oct 6, 2022, 7:31:51 AM10/6/22
On 06/10/2022 11:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Are these locomotives built by them or merely named after the product to
> promote it?
> Brian

The sign writing on the one in the picture was just a way to let people
know who owned it, and which one it was. It worked on a railway which
was entirely on site, and never went outside the fence.

Basically, poorly stencilled white lettering on a plain black
locomotive. It is attached to a passenger carriage which looks as if it
was made specially for a VIP visit by fastening a few seats and
decoration to a goods waggon.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Liz Tuddenham

Oct 6, 2022, 9:58:05 AM10/6/22
Try asking the Railway and Canal Historical Society, they are full of
information like that.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

John Williamson

Oct 6, 2022, 11:17:02 AM10/6/22
On 06/10/2022 14:57, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> MB <M...@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> I posted this on uk.railways, though might interest someone here.
>>

>> Thunderbird is very flakey at the moment
>>

>> Anyone know if any Marconi locomotived survive anywhere
>>

>> shorturl.at/eoxRS
>>

>> Marconi Wireless Telegraph (Locomotive?) No.1
>
> Try asking the Railway and Canal Historical Society, they are full of
> information like that.

Wikilies says it was built by Dick & Kerr in Glasgow, and it is not
listed among their surviving production.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick,_Kerr_%26_Co.#Locomotives

The line was torn up and all the rolling stock probably scrapped in
1922, when the Marconi works burned down.

Liz Tuddenham

Oct 6, 2022, 12:48:14 PM10/6/22
I doubt if an industrial locomotive would be scrapped unless it was too
badly damaged or near the end of its life anyway. They were often sold
on to another owner, overhauled, re-named, re-numbered and put back into
use.

John Williamson

Oct 6, 2022, 2:31:22 PM10/6/22
On 06/10/2022 17:47, Liz Tuddenham wrote:

> I doubt if an industrial locomotive would be scrapped unless it was too
> badly damaged or near the end of its life anyway. They were often sold
> on to another owner, overhauled, re-named, re-numbered and put back into
> use.

A lot of the others of that type were nearing their end of life, as
looking at the dates, it was one of the last of that type produced, in
the early 1900s, but as you say, they did tend to have the last ounce of
use worked out of them. As this was a narrow gauge line, though, the
market was more limited.

Brian Gaff

Oct 7, 2022, 5:45:45 AM10/7/22
Hmm, more of a curio than anything else then.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Williamson" <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Brian Gaff

Oct 7, 2022, 5:47:59 AM10/7/22
I was going to say, the line gauges being different for different rail
systems was always an issue. Some were of course built to be modified for
similar if not the same gauges.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Williamson" <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

John Williamson

Oct 7, 2022, 8:33:09 AM10/7/22
On 07/10/2022 10:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Hmm, more of a curio than anything else then.
>
> Brian

Now, yes, but in the years before the picture was taken, it was a very
useful piece of equipment, as it used to pull trains loaded with peat
from where it had been cut to where it got burned to power the factory.

The crew and all the workshop staff probably spent the entire night
before the visit cleaning and polishing it....

Liz Tuddenham

Oct 10, 2022, 5:20:49 AM10/10/22
Brian Gaff <brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was going to say, the line gauges being different for different rail
> systems was always an issue. Some were of course built to be modified for
> similar if not the same gauges.

Many basic contractors' locomotive designs were sold as different models
to suit different gauges. Altering them later was often just a matter
of a few component changes and may not have even involved returning the
whole locomotive to the factory. Wheel sets, complete with their axles,
were often changed when the tyres became worn or developed flats during
the normal working life; it was a routine operation.

For light railways, such as temporary contractors' railways, the
narrower gauges has the advantage of allowing tighter curves and lighter
weight track. Track was often transported to the site in the form of
pre-assembled panels and was frequently pulled up and re-laid several
times as the work progressed, so track weight was more significant than
on permanent railways.

Re-selling a viable narrow-gauge contractors locomotive would not have
been as difficult as it first appears, but a worn-out specimen, which
had to be transported from an isolated location, might well have been
scrapped instead.