"Watch - on BBC iPlayer."

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 22, 2022, 8:01:04 AM6/22/22
I'm noticing an increasing number of trailers ending with this phrase -
and the logo, of three bits of pink sticky tape in a triangle on a black
background - _without_ a mention of a conventional broadcast.

While I see the iPlayer as a fine concept (plenty of faults, but a fine
_concept_) for people to be able to see programmes they missed, or can't
see because of the time they're on (potential viewers at work, or
asleep, or want to watch something else that's on at the same time). not
mentioning a channel and time in the trailer suggests programmes are
being made _just_ for the iPlayer.

Other than my usual suspicion of things new, I'm not sure what I think
of this trend - if indeed it is one. what do others think?

There are things that we should be free by law to say but choose not to. A
right to offend doesn't mean a duty to offend.
- Timothy Garton Ash, RT 2016/4/9-15

Andy Burns

Jun 22, 2022, 9:25:16 AM6/22/22
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> not mentioning a channel and time in the trailer suggests programmes are being
> made _just_ for the iPlayer.

I think the BBC now has a concept of certain programmes (e.g. Eastenders)
appearing on iPlayer before they are broadcast on terrestrial/satellite?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 22, 2022, 11:05:17 AM6/22/22
On Wed, 22 Jun 2022 at 14:25:13, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk> wrote
(my responses usually FOLLOW):
Yes, they do do some of that. But the ones I'm becoming increasingly
aware of don't say "on iPlayer, then at 10 on Friday on BBC1" or similar
- they mention iPlayer _only_. (And I _think_ they've mostly been
one-offs, not regulars - though I take no soap except the radio one, so
wouldn't have noticed.)

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells