BBC 4 HD and Cbeebies HD to move to PSB 3

Mark Carver

Jun 2, 2022, 5:58:17 AM6/2/22
Seems that when COM 7 closes at the end of this month, BBC 4 HD and
Cbeebies HD will move to PSB 3 (aka the 'main' HD mux)

BBC News HD on DTT will close

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7

Scott

Jun 2, 2022, 6:45:21 AM6/2/22
Thank goodness. Life would not be the same without Bob the Builder.

What about CBBC? I thought I read it was going online only. There
were also reports of BBC Four going online only.

If Radio 4 Extra moves online, will this improve the bitrate for other
BBC stations?

Can we fix it - yes we can.

Mark Carver

Jun 2, 2022, 6:48:33 AM6/2/22
On 02/06/2022 11:45, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 10:58:15 +0100, Mark Carver
> <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Seems that when COM 7 closes at the end of this month, BBC 4 HD and
>> Cbeebies HD will move to PSB 3 (aka the 'main' HD mux)
>>
>> BBC News HD on DTT will close
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work-warning/news/waw-com7
> Thank goodness. Life would not be the same without Bob the Builder.
>
> What about CBBC? I thought I read it was going online only. There
> were also reports of BBC Four going online only.

The idea of CBBC and BBC 4 going on line only, so far is only a
*_suggestion_* and even it happens, is still 3 or 4 years away.

Anyway, CBBC HD is on PSB 3 already

Tweed

Jun 2, 2022, 7:31:10 AM6/2/22
What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
wasting bits until now….?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 2, 2022, 11:11:10 AM6/2/22
On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 11:31:08, Tweed <usenet...@gmail.com> wrote (my
>Mark Carver <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 02/06/2022 11:45, Scott wrote:

They obviously slipped up with that web page; it displayed fine on my
old Firefox. I thought it was BBC policy that all webpages require a
bleeding-edge browser (and even then often malfunction).

>>> Thank goodness. Life would not be the same without Bob the Builder.

(-:

>>> What about CBBC? I thought I read it was going online only. There
>>> were also reports of BBC Four going online only.

Yes, I'd heard that - and it seemed odd to do that, having brought BBC3
back to FreeView; I'd have thought the demographics of the target
audiences were the other way round. But it seems only the HD version of
BBC4 might be affected, which perhaps suits the demographic better.

>> The idea of CBBC and BBC 4 going on line only, so far is only a
>> *_suggestion_* and even it happens, is still 3 or 4 years away.
>>
>> Anyway, CBBC HD is on PSB 3 already
>>

>What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
>wasting bits until now….?

Yes, I wondered that! (Of course, they could save a _lot_ of capacity -
but only at certain times - by using the "red button" mechanism,
whenever they're simulcasting across channels - as they were this
morning for example between 1 and News.)

Religion often uses faith as a blindfold, saying anyone who doesn't believe
the same as us must be wiped out. It's not God saying that. It's people, which
is so dangerous. - Jenny Agutter, RT 2015/1/17-23

Scott

Jun 2, 2022, 11:26:24 AM6/2/22
Would they have to match the programme timings so as not to
reconfigure during a programme? (I don't think the DAB bitrate is
changed during programmes?) Would changing the configuration cause
problems for PVRs?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 2, 2022, 11:50:24 AM6/2/22
On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 16:26:16, Scott <newsg...@gefion.myzen.co.uk>
wrote (my responses usually FOLLOW):
>On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:08:15 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
><G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 at 11:31:08, Tweed <usenet...@gmail.com> wrote (my
[]
>>>What’s the “newly identified capacity” on PSB3? Have they been carelessly
>>>wasting bits until now….?
>>>
>>Yes, I wondered that! (Of course, they could save a _lot_ of capacity -
>>but only at certain times - by using the "red button" mechanism,
>>whenever they're simulcasting across channels - as they were this
>>morning for example between 1 and News.)
>
>Would they have to match the programme timings so as not to
>reconfigure during a programme? (I don't think the DAB bitrate is
>changed during programmes?)

I don't know. Certainly if I'm watching one of the channels that
switches to just a card (usually Smithsonian), the card is displayed
without any action on my part. Though there is a _long_ pause.

> Would changing the configuration cause
>problems for PVRs?

Almost certainly in some cases.

Is it even _possible_ to tell receivers to switch to a different
bitstream? I presume not, otherwise - you'd hope, anyway! - they'd have
done it by now. Maybe it is, but it's the switching _back_ that can't be
automated (maybe you can tell receivers "watching" the brown channel to
switch to the purple channel, but then when it comes time to switch
back, telling receivers "watching" the purple channel "switch to the
brown channel - but only those of you that came here from there" isn't
possible). It'd need just about a byte of memory, but I wouldn't be at
all surprised if that hadn't been built into the standard.

Max Demian

Jun 2, 2022, 11:57:17 AM6/2/22
CBBC HD timeshares with BBC3 HD so there's no extra bandwidth required.

--
Max Demian

Scott

Jun 2, 2022, 1:52:54 PM6/2/22
On Thu, 2 Jun 2022 16:57:11 +0100, Max Demian <max_d...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:
I think the question being asked is where does the bandwidth for BBC
Four HD come from?

Andy Burns

Jun 4, 2022, 4:58:21 AM6/4/22

Scott wrote:

> I think the question being asked is where does the bandwidth for BBC Four HD
> come from?

Maybe 5select and/or TBN get the boot?

Andy Burns

Jun 4, 2022, 5:18:43 AM6/4/22

Scott wrote:

> I don't think the DAB bitrate is changed during programmes?

AFAIK it only changes at programme junctions and on some radios it causes an
audible dropout.

Scott

Jun 4, 2022, 7:03:44 AM6/4/22
On Sat, 4 Jun 2022 10:18:40 +0100, Andy Burns <use...@andyburns.uk>
wrote:
Would the same principle apply to TV then? This would mean the
earlier suggestion to reallocate the red button bandwidth during
programmes is a non-starter.

Brian G

Jun 4, 2022, 7:45:52 AM6/4/22
Ho long do we give terrestrial freeview other than the main channels I
wonder?

Seems everything except some repeats and the odd soap will be either axed
or behind pay walls or maybe on Sky. which amounts to the same thing.
Why not just go back to the 70s and have done with it. grin.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Mark Carver" <mark....@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Mark Carver

Jun 15, 2022, 7:07:25 AM6/15/22
And also on June 30th Forces TV (currently using COM 7) is closing on
all platforms anyway

https://twitter.com/forces_tv/status/1537019135573499904