Maida Vale

MB

Nov 24, 2022, 6:12:44 AM11/24/22
It is reported that the BBC Maida Vale studios are up for sale.

https://www.lsh.co.uk/find/properties/london/london/2049733?listing=true

Mark Carver

Nov 24, 2022, 6:15:33 AM11/24/22
On 24/11/2022 11:12, MB wrote:
> It is reported that the BBC Maida Vale studios are up for sale.
>
> https://www.lsh.co.uk/find/properties/london/london/2049733?listing=true

Yep, been on the cards for several years now. The Beeb's plan is to
relocate them to Stratford I think (E20 not CV37)

Robin

Nov 24, 2022, 8:39:16 AM11/24/22
Right (as usual): they're coming to Stratford's "East Bank" - another of
the trendy post-Olympics developments that mean I now have to travel
miles further to find useful things like a wood yard, pipe bender, panel
beater, ...

https://londonist.com/london/latest-news/what-is-the-new-east-bank-in-the-olympic-park

--
Robin

Brian Gaff

Nov 25, 2022, 6:07:56 AM11/25/22
That is a shame, they should be somehow listed for historical interest.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

MB

Nov 25, 2022, 6:47:36 AM11/25/22
On 25/11/2022 11:07, Brian Gaff wrote:
> That is a shame, they should be somehow listed for historical interest.
> Brian

BBC Maida Vale Studios

British Broadcasting Corporation, Delaware Road, London, W9 2LG

Listed on the National Heritage List for England. Search over 400,000
listed places

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1463441

tony sayer

Nov 25, 2022, 4:35:21 PM11/25/22
In article <tlqa0n$vfkn$1...@dont-email.me>, MB <M...@nospam.net> scribeth
thus
So sad to see that place closing! Spent some time there whilst working
for Audix Broadcast installing and commissioning some desks there one
for the Val Gielgud studio IIRC.

Great place to work, canteen was very good and cheap and amazing who
you'd bump into shared the same table as John Cleese that was an
interesting conversation!

Great to listen to the orchestra or band in the studio and it being
reproduced in the control room on decent speakers thats why I've been a
big fan of such as the LS5/8's

Be interested to see what they'll do with it can't see it being used for
recording or radio or TV expect it may well be split into smaller
industrial office spaces.

Offers over 10.5 million humm!!

Very nice part of London too:)
--
Tony Sayer

Theo

Nov 26, 2022, 5:19:46 AM11/26/22
tony sayer <to...@bancom.co.uk> wrote:
> Be interested to see what they'll do with it can't see it being used for
> recording or radio or TV expect it may well be split into smaller
> industrial office spaces.
>
> Offers over 10.5 million humm!!

The agent's brochure:
https://prism.agencypilot.com/crm/store/documents/other/2725568_uh264fio4i42wt79.pdf

has various options for what the purchaser might try to squeeze past
planning, including:

"Complete redevelopment behind retained facade
In this option it is assumed the current use is not viable
The option illustrates a complete redevelopment within the
external walls and breaches the roof form. New massing sits
inside the retained facade
Cultural space/retail memorabilia and interactive
experiences could be located behind the existing main
entrance within newly built space
If massing restricted to ridge height then 4 new floors are
possible - 10,900 sq m new build - 127 residential units
If massing breaches ridge height say 5/6 floors
- approx. 12,900 sq m - 150 residential units
Acceptability in heritage terms dependent upon delivering
sufficiently great (substantial) public benefits."

So really depends on what they manage to wangle.

Theo

Max Demian

Nov 26, 2022, 10:33:59 AM11/26/22
On 26/11/2022 10:19, Theo wrote:
> tony sayer <to...@bancom.co.uk> wrote:
>> Be interested to see what they'll do with it can't see it being used for
>> recording or radio or TV expect it may well be split into smaller
>> industrial office spaces.
>>
>> Offers over 10.5 million humm!!
>
> The agent's brochure:
> https://prism.agencypilot.com/crm/store/documents/other/2725568_uh264fio4i42wt79.pdf
>
> has various options for what the purchaser might try to squeeze past
> planning, including:
>

> "Complete redevelopment behind retained facade
> In this option it is assumed the current use is not viable
> The option illustrates a complete redevelopment within the
> external walls and breaches the roof form. New massing sits
> inside the retained facade

I hate it when they do that. In the 70s there was a triangular
development just opposite Charing Cross station where they gutted a load
of buildings (probably originally residential), just leaving the
facades. I can see why they had to do it, as all the internal walls and
chimney-stacks would have taken so much space up, but they might as well
have knocked the whole lot down and built one of their hideous modern
buildings (like the skyscraper that melts cars).

There's a particular egregious example in the high street of Swindon Old
Town; I think it was originally a bank, but it's so obviously a fudge.

--
Max Demian

Brian Gaff

Nov 27, 2022, 7:49:45 AM11/27/22
Bentalls in Kingston Upon Thames, a completely new shopping centre built
behind the original listed walls of the front and sides.
I'm really not sure. The original building did have third party shops etc,
even a post office, but it was great to explore as it had ramps and steps in
all sorts of odd places. Now its just a lot of normal looking shops and a
big Bentalls at the back.
There used to be some nice water features inside the main area where the
escalators and lifts were, but I don't think they are there any more. On the
Opposite corner of the junction was a similarly old building and that has of
course been redeveloped into a John Lewis and Waitrose.
Kingston, however will never be finished as they are now redeveloping parts
the already redeveloped in the 70s again.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Max Demian" <max_d...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

MB

Nov 27, 2022, 7:57:10 AM11/27/22
On 27/11/2022 12:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Kingston, however will never be finished as they are now redeveloping parts
> the already redeveloped in the 70s again.

Probably a good thing, isn't it said of many town in the South of
England that councils did more damage in the 1960s than the Luftwaffe in
WWII!

Woody

Nov 27, 2022, 9:03:08 AM11/27/22
Not just the South East! Try visiting Hull sometime.

MB

Nov 27, 2022, 1:07:58 PM11/27/22
That is South East from here. :-)

Liz Tuddenham

Nov 27, 2022, 1:16:51 PM11/27/22
I have said that to some German visitors I was showing around Bath - I'm
not sure they believed me.

A few years ago the old Bath tramway depot was put on the market. The
facade was a dreadful ugly eyesore, but inside the building was a
treasure trove of industrial archaeolgy. We campaigned to have the
interior preserved. but the facade was kept and everything else
destroyed.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Brian Gaff

Nov 28, 2022, 7:10:32 AM11/28/22
Yes money talks, particularly at the moment with Government not giving
councils the money to run vital services.

Brian

--

--:
"Liz Tuddenham" <l...@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote in message