The Royal thing

John Williamson

Sep 13, 2022, 12:36:55 PM9/13/22
I've been watching the coverage of the Edinburgh bit, and the crew
aren't exactly covering themselves in glory. wobbly cameras, and
breaking up of the helicopter coverage again.

I hope the London end have solved the problems.

Does anyone know whether the radio linked cameras are making an on board
recording as well, or are we going to be suffering digital breakup on
all the next 50 years' worth of repeats?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Dave W

Sep 13, 2022, 3:56:14 PM9/13/22
I've just watched the TV coverage of the plane taking off from
Edinburgh to London. The front view of the cockpit was very shaky.
Obviously through a telescope, but there was a fierce wind blowing at
the time - Nicola Sturgeon had to hang on to her hat - so that was the
reason.
--
Dave W

MikeS

Sep 13, 2022, 4:28:54 PM9/13/22
Those of us around before the start of the Queen's reign sit and wonder
at modern technology. Apparently others sit and gripe about any
broadcast short of 100% perfection.

John Williamson

Sep 13, 2022, 4:47:00 PM9/13/22
On 13/09/2022 21:28, MikeS wrote:
> Those of us around before the start of the Queen's reign sit and wonder
> at modern technology. Apparently others sit and gripe about any
> broadcast short of 100% perfection.

Extreme telephoto on at least two cameras, but it seemed as if only one
was shaking... That says operator error to me, or a cheap tripod.

My domestic camcorder has firmware that can correct that magnitude of
shake if I ask it to, I would be surprised if current pro gear didn't
have it as well.

MikeS

Sep 13, 2022, 5:11:45 PM9/13/22
At the airport I glimpsed one camera in shot at the end of a very long
boom, presumably to get the viewing angle they wanted. Perhaps wind
rather than operator error as you call it. I doubt they were using a
"cheap tripod" from Poundshop.
Message has been deleted

joe bloggs

Sep 13, 2022, 6:53:21 PM9/13/22
Yes, I caught a glimpse of the camera you mention on the end of the 'boom'. If fact it was a Technocrane, and a smallish looking one out of the range available. Broadcasters generally hire these on a daily basis complete with a crew who know how to set it up, are skilled in swinging the arm around 'live on shot' as it were, and how to manipulate the camera operationally to give the director what he or she wants - all very skilled work. Long time since I was involved even very remotely with them - before anyone asks, in my day the camera on the end of the crane would have used a triax connector and a set of slip rings to allow power/signals to be transferred to and from the camera which was capable of 360 or more rotation. If the camera on the end was a fibre optic model then there would be a triax/fibre/triax adapters mounted around the crane to facilitate the slip ring method of operation. Perhaps it may be different nowadays.

There are broadcast camera/lens combinations that can provide image stability along the lines mentioned, Fujinon and Canon are two off the top of my head. A quick Google reveals this model by Fujinon for example:

FUJINON UA107x8.4BESM-T45

Tres expensive as you might imagine although I'm sure you would get a discount for quantity.

Mark Carver

Sep 14, 2022, 3:29:53 AM9/14/22
On 13/09/2022 21:46, John Williamson wrote:
You need a very steady camera mount, (preferably attached to the fabric
of a building, but certainly attached to highly braced scaffolding) and
a lot of mechanical inertia  to get a stable shot using a very zoomed in
100x broadcast lens. They do actually incorporate (mechanical )image
stabilisation

All very achievable, as long as you have the time, resources, and
relevant paperwork to allow such a rig. The Scottish elements of the
'London Bridge' planning would have been down the priority list, as of
course they only happened because HM died in the country. Quite frankly
I was very impressed with the rigs in the chapel in Edinburgh
considering the factors in play.

Regarding the RF problems with the helicopter, as explained Scotland
doesn't have the same bespoke Rx arrangements as the London area or
Manchester.
I hope you did notice the aerial shots from Northolt to Buck House were
pretty flawless (RF wise) ?

Brian Gaff

Sep 14, 2022, 4:05:56 AM9/14/22
Who knows, don't worry CGI will by then be able to recreate the shots from
scratch without any part of the original.
grin.
If you believe recent drama series this sort of fake news is already going
on.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"John Williamson" <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

John Williamson

Sep 14, 2022, 5:40:43 AM9/14/22
On 14/09/2022 08:29, Mark Carver wrote:

> Regarding the RF problems with the helicopter, as explained Scotland
> doesn't have the same bespoke Rx arrangements as the London area or
> Manchester.
> I hope you did notice the aerial shots from Northolt to Buck House were
> pretty flawless (RF wise) ?

That end all seemed to go very well. My only slight worry was that a
couple of years after moving out of London, I could glance at the screen
and know within a few feet where the cortege was every time.

When I think about it, as London has the population of Scotland in an
area thirty miles across, and a lot of special events, for their
equipment, it's just another of the many events they've used the
equipment for this year.

MB

Sep 14, 2022, 5:50:46 AM9/14/22
On 14/09/2022 08:29, Mark Carver wrote:
> Regarding the RF problems with the helicopter, as explained Scotland
> doesn't have the same bespoke Rx arrangements as the London area or
> Manchester.

As has been written, the Scottish location was not expected.

Towards the end of the Queen Mother's life, I believe a fixed microwave
link was installed by the BBC to allow coverage from the Castle of Mey area.

tony sayer

Sep 15, 2022, 6:50:47 AM9/15/22
In article <jode7f...@mid.individual.net>, Mark Carver
<mark....@invalid.invalid> scribeth thus
Yes over on Flightradar24 you could trace the Arena aviation helicopter!

Who i suspect have some decent allocated OK link frequencies and
receiver points!..
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer

Sep 15, 2022, 7:40:49 AM9/15/22
In article <tfs85k$2s9to$1...@dont-email.me>, MB <M...@nospam.net> scribeth
thus
There was a plan if she passed whilst out of her own backyard!

As to reception over remote bu its of Scotland i suspect that maybe 4G
was used for that or bonded channels which begs another question might
that lock up more cell sites than a little?.

Assuming that were that many over that bit of Scotland?..

MB

Sep 15, 2022, 9:19:28 AM9/15/22
On 15/09/2022 12:38, tony sayer wrote:
> There was a plan if she passed whilst out of her own backyard!

The old days when OBs planned ahead for things like that unlike nowadays
when IBA (I believe) did not even check for low bridges on the route to
a planned OB so had a very long detour to make.

Mark Carver

Sep 15, 2022, 9:31:04 AM9/15/22
The IBA ?  Eh ?

SiS had their depot next door to a 12ft clearance railway bridge at
Langley.  !

<https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5084906,-0.5425114,3a,39.3y,37.31h,84.03t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_B3YXp0yflCR3FkOS29RFg!2e0!5s20120601T000000!7i13312!8i6656>

MB

Sep 15, 2022, 11:57:05 AM9/15/22
On 15/09/2022 14:31, Mark Carver wrote:
> The IBA ?  Eh ?
>
> SiS had their depot next door to a 12ft clearance railway bridge at
> Langley.  !

NTL then, I lose track of these Mickey Mouse companies that change name
every week. :-)

I bet there was not a 100 mile detour to avoid that bridge.

Mark Carver

Sep 15, 2022, 1:16:08 PM9/15/22
On 15/09/2022 16:57, MB wrote:
> On 15/09/2022 14:31, Mark Carver wrote:
>> The IBA ?  Eh ?
>>
>> SiS had their depot next door to a 12ft clearance railway bridge at
>> Langley.  !
>

> NTL then,
They never operated any OB trucks either ?

I thought you used to work in broadcasting ?

MB

Sep 15, 2022, 4:19:27 PM9/15/22
On 15/09/2022 18:16, Mark Carver wrote:
> They never operated any OB trucks either ?
>
> I thought you used to work in broadcasting ?

No idea, just thought it was them but hard to keep track since it all
had to be contracted out.

Had little to do with OBs (strange people!) and I have never seen any
ITV / STV OB unit in the Highlands.

Mark Carver

Sep 15, 2022, 4:28:52 PM9/15/22
I don't think STV have any (apart from News Vans). BBC Scotland only has
one proper OB truck.

The UK has scores of them hough, but not quite enough to cover all the
requirements for this period.
I gather NEP are bringing some in from Europe

Here's some reading for you

https://www.nepgroup.com/truckcountries/united-kingdom

https://www.timeline.tv/outside-broadcasts-rf/

https://www.cloudbass.com/

https://uk.emglive.com/

It's how it's all done these days, get with the times.

MB

Sep 18, 2022, 1:28:05 PM9/18/22
The delay on the "live" feed from Westminster Hall seems to be several
minutes. Earlier BBC were describing Biden's visit to the Lying in
State but there was a long time before the images from the cameras in
the hall appeared.

Mark Carver

Sep 20, 2022, 8:48:27 AM9/20/22
I think after the 'incident' there on Friday night, they stuck the
'live' TV feed on a delay. Easy enough to do these days

Robin

Sep 20, 2022, 9:30:55 AM9/20/22
Some reported the delay was introduced after an earlier event - one of
the people standing vigil collapsing.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/royal-guard-faints-queen-s-coffin-westminster-hall-lying-in-state-b1025755.html

--
Robin

Chris J Dixon

Sep 20, 2022, 10:54:49 AM9/20/22
Robin wrote:

>Some reported the delay was introduced after an earlier event - one of
>the people standing vigil collapsing.
>
>https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/royal-guard-faints-queen-s-coffin-westminster-hall-lying-in-state-b1025755.html

I find it hard to understand the meaning of this paragraph in
that article:

"While the soldiers rotate every 20 minutes, the hours of
remaining completely still while standing are six-hours in
length."

I guess that are trying to say that they are present for six
hours, and every 20 minutes those standing by the coffin are
rotated.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK