BBC News: BBC sets out plans for TV news channel merger in 2023

MB

Jul 14, 2022, 4:06:26 PM7/14/22
This on BBC news pages.

BBC sets out plans for TV news channel merger in 2023

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62161868

Brian Gaff

Jul 15, 2022, 8:21:26 AM7/15/22
What are these two channels. I thoughtthere was only one. Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

The Other John

Jul 15, 2022, 12:13:29 PM7/15/22
On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 13:21:18 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

> What are these two channels. I thoughtthere was only one. Brian

BBC News and World Service

--
TOJ

Max Demian

Jul 15, 2022, 1:26:44 PM7/15/22
On what Freeview channels?

--
Max Demian

The Other John

Jul 15, 2022, 2:56:22 PM7/15/22
On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 18:26:38 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

> On what Freeview channels?

As I understand it there will be just BBC News on Freeview but it will
incorporate world news items and this channel will replace the World
Service output.

--
TOJ

Woody

Jul 15, 2022, 3:28:12 PM7/15/22
Isn't that what they do now?

From what I understand of it there will be a world news service with
optouts for the UK news, i.e. the reverse of what it does now!

MB

Jul 15, 2022, 4:46:31 PM7/15/22
On 15/07/2022 20:28, Woody wrote:
> From what I understand of it there will be a world news service with
> optouts for the UK news, i.e. the reverse of what it does now!

I got the impression that they run two versions of the BBC World News.
One from the Washington studio, presumably for the Americas. And
another one from Singapore that we see here and probably feeds the rest
of the world. It just sounds as if they will be merged.

I presume that at other times BBC News will be as now and come from
London (unless it comes from Salford or Rockall).

.

Max Demian

Jul 16, 2022, 5:09:28 AM7/16/22
I mean, is "World News" on Freeview TV, and if not, where is it? I've
never heard of it.

--
Max Demian

Tweed

Jul 16, 2022, 5:16:10 AM7/16/22
It’s generally to be found in a lift in an overseas hotel.

Having watched it in various overseas hotel rooms, it is very boring
indeed. I’m not sure why the cost cutting drive is at the expense of the
domestic output in favour of this rather anodyne version, rather than the
other way around.

Brian Gaff

Jul 16, 2022, 5:20:06 AM7/16/22
Surely, we should get more balanced news if both teams are going the join
with duplicated jobs going?
I have seen so many complaints of things never covered on our bbc being
covered elsewhere, We need some kind of left wing news channel the news
landscape all seems right wing almost fascist at times.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tweed" <usenet...@gmail.com> wrote in message

MB

Jul 16, 2022, 5:26:39 AM7/16/22
On 16/07/2022 10:16, Tweed wrote:
> Having watched it in various overseas hotel rooms, it is very boring
> indeed. I’m not sure why the cost cutting drive is at the expense of the
> domestic output in favour of this rather anodyne version, rather than the
> other way around.

Is it at the expense of the UK service?

BBC News channel runs 24 hours and presumably will continue to do so.
In the evening and overnight parts of it use a Singapore studio, not
sure if the Washington studio is also used part of the time.

They appear to be going to use the UK studio less, using Radio 5 in the
morning.

There will still be a 24/7 news service and I presume that if there is a
major UK news story they will report it from the UK.

They get some income from the TV World service.

MB

Jul 16, 2022, 5:28:51 AM7/16/22
On 16/07/2022 10:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
> We need some kind of left wing news channel the news
> landscape all seems right wing almost fascist at times.

Depends if you are a right wing fascist or a left wing communist, both
tend to accuse the BBC of not covering their viewpoint thouhgh cases of
moans that the "BBC did not cover ...." are false and just the person
did not see the report.

Tweed

Jul 16, 2022, 5:38:19 AM7/16/22
What I’ve read in the papers is that is going to be by default a simulcast
with opt outs if any thing important happens domestically. I’ll be
interested to see how this turns out in practice. The overseas service is
benighted by the need to have the ability to insert local adverts. If you
have an advert free feed you get endless trailers and other repetitive
filler.

The Other John

Jul 16, 2022, 9:49:16 AM7/16/22
On Sat, 16 Jul 2022 10:09:22 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

> I mean, is "World News" on Freeview TV, and if not, where is it? I've
> never heard of it.

No. Dunno where it is, only read it was merging with the News Channel.

--
TOJ

williamwright

Jul 16, 2022, 10:13:22 AM7/16/22
On 15/07/2022 19:56, The Other John wrote:
> As I understand it there will be just BBC News on Freeview but it will
> incorporate world news items and this channel will replace the World
> Service output.

It will just drive UK visitors to Sky News and GB News. I for one don't
want to hear the BBC's dreary biased reports on events abroad,
especially when they're aimed at foreigners anyway.

Bill

williamwright

Jul 16, 2022, 10:16:15 AM7/16/22
On 16/07/2022 10:19, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I have seen so many complaints of things never covered on our bbc being
> covered elsewhere, We need some kind of left wing news channel the news
> landscape all seems right wing almost fascist at times.
> Brian

You're having a laugh?

Bill

MB

Jul 16, 2022, 10:16:57 AM7/16/22
On 16/07/2022 15:13, williamwright wrote:
> It will just drive UK visitors to Sky News and GB News.

I doubt whether most will notice much difference, they will still have a
24 hour news service available which hopefully has the resources to
cover the big events without have to rely on a stringer with a mobile phone!

Andy Burns

Jul 16, 2022, 12:03:34 PM7/16/22
The Other John wrote:

> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> What are these two channels. I thought there was only one.
>
> BBC News and World Service

BBC News and BBC World News (the latter isn't available in the UK)

williamwright

Jul 16, 2022, 1:40:47 PM7/16/22
On 16/07/2022 17:03, Andy Burns wrote:

> BBC News and BBC World News (the latter isn't available in the UK)

It used to be, in the analogue days.

Bill

John Williamson

Jul 16, 2022, 1:48:37 PM7/16/22
On 16/07/2022 17:03, Andy Burns wrote:
Maybe not the BBC World News, but a version of the World Service is
available on DAB round here.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

MB

Aug 14, 2022, 12:31:45 PM8/14/22
There is a Tweet from the BBC answering a question about this.

https://twitter.com/ClarkHistoryPol/status/1558834976883462145

Interesting that it confirms that "Its ratings are higher than other TV
news channels" despite what some other stations keep claiming.