BBC REWIND

MB

Jul 18, 2022, 5:13:25 PM7/18/22
Is BBC REWIND up and running yet?

The piece about earlier suggested that you would be able to do searches
of the archive but all I can see on the BBC website is a series of
compilations of clips under various subjects.

NY

Jul 18, 2022, 6:41:40 PM7/18/22
Yes it seems to be very underwhelming. I'm not interested in brief
2-minute clips of things. I'd like to see complete programmes and all
episodes of a series.

MB

Jul 19, 2022, 2:34:00 AM7/19/22
On 18/07/2022 23:41, NY wrote:
> Yes it seems to be very underwhelming. I'm not interested in brief
> 2-minute clips of things. I'd like to see complete programmes and all
> episodes of a series.

I get the feeling they might have publicised it too early and it is
ready for public use.

MB

Jul 19, 2022, 4:49:09 AM7/19/22
On 19/07/2022 07:34, MB wrote:
> I get the feeling they might have publicised it too early and it is
> ready for public use.

Should read!

I get the feeling they might have publicised it too early and it is NOT
ready for public use.

Brian Gaff

Jul 19, 2022, 5:02:43 AM7/19/22
The naive did not understand that getting all the rights sorted out requires
lawyers who are not known for their speedy work generally.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

MB

Jul 19, 2022, 5:07:31 AM7/19/22
On 19/07/2022 10:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
> The naive did not understand that getting all the rights sorted out requires
> lawyers who are not known for their speedy work generally.

I suspect that they are all films taken by or for the BBC so they will
be owners of the rights..

John Williamson

Jul 19, 2022, 5:57:30 AM7/19/22
Often, the contract with the BBC specifies either a maximum number of
repeats or a maximum time after which the production may not be
broadcast or streamed.

This was a problem with the Prisoner TV series, and is the reason it was
not repeated until long after the original showings.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Scott

Jul 19, 2022, 6:38:02 AM7/19/22
What happened to repeat fees? Are they a thing of the past? I
thought my mum used to get 50% of the original fee if the programme
was repeated.

NY

Jul 19, 2022, 8:11:01 AM7/19/22
"Scott" <newsg...@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
As I understand it, at one time the rights were for a fixed number of
repeats, and no repeats beyond that were allowed *even if the additional
money earned by those repeats was divided up and paid to the performers*.

charles

Jul 19, 2022, 8:41:24 AM7/19/22
In article <jjndg9...@mid.individual.net>,
The Prisoner was not a BBC series.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

John Williamson

Jul 19, 2022, 8:56:25 AM7/19/22
On 19/07/2022 12:10, charles wrote:
> In article <jjndg9...@mid.individual.net>,
> John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect that they are all films taken by or for the BBC so they will
>>> be owners of the rights..
>
>> Often, the contract with the BBC specifies either a maximum number of
>> repeats or a maximum time after which the production may not be
>> broadcast or streamed.
>
>> This was a problem with the Prisoner TV series, and is the reason it was
>> not repeated until long after the original showings.
>
> The Prisoner was not a BBC series.

True, but all the TV companies used and use more or less the same
contracts for bought in content. From what I remember, Patrick McGoohan
owned all the rights to the Prisoner, then retired to drive a truck in
Canada.

williamwright

Jul 19, 2022, 2:59:55 PM7/19/22
On 19/07/2022 11:38, Scott wrote:
> What happened to repeat fees? Are they a thing of the past? I
> thought my mum used to get 50% of the original fee if the programme
> was repeated.

Who was yer mum?

Bill

MB

Jul 19, 2022, 6:01:05 PM7/19/22
This does not run, just goes into a loop?

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/bbc-rewind-archive-content-centenary-newsupdate/

This one sounds as if we will not be able to search the archive, just
see more compilations.

https://advanced-television.com/2022/07/19/bbc-launches-bbc-rewind-archive/

NY

Jul 20, 2022, 3:42:55 AM7/20/22
"MB" <M...@nospam.net> wrote in message news:tb79iv$1732g$1...@dont-email.me...
And I would take issue with their phrase "a vast portion of the Corporation’s
archive". What they mean is a few clips, each of a couple of minutes, from
their news department.

No complete programmes or series of programmes.

Unless that is coming later - we don't know what their future plans are.

I imagine that a big problem with programmes is getting the rights to make
them available to everyone. We'll all be dead long before normal copyright
expires on programmes that we'd like to watch.

Scott

Jul 20, 2022, 5:04:05 AM7/20/22
My mum worked in childrens' radio in Glasgow during the 1950s. Her
professional name was Moira Pedersen. Unfortunately, virtually
everything went out live in those days and almost nothing remains.

MB

Jul 20, 2022, 5:00:19 PM7/20/22
On 20/07/2022 08:42, NY wrote:
> And I would take issue with their phrase "a vast portion of the Corporation’s
> archive". What they mean is a few clips, each of a couple of minutes, from
> their news department.

It seemed fairly obvious from the preview that they are planning more
than that with the ability to search for names of people or locations.

williamwright

Jul 20, 2022, 8:50:18 PM7/20/22
Thank you. I see she once played a Lama (or Llama?)

Bill

Brian Gaff

Jul 21, 2022, 12:23:38 PM7/21/22
The name rewind, implies that these shows only play backwards then.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" <wrights...@f2s.com> wrote in message

MB

Jul 21, 2022, 4:39:01 PM7/21/22
The search page seems to be working now.

https://bbcrewind.co.uk/search?q=bolton

MB

Jul 21, 2022, 5:32:51 PM7/21/22

Brian Gaff

Jul 22, 2022, 4:06:37 AM7/22/22
Does anyone recall those EBU huge books and maps that showed every TV
transmitter in Europe and their details?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Roderick Stewart

Jul 22, 2022, 4:27:03 AM7/22/22
On Fri, 22 Jul 2022 09:06:30 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
<brian...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone recall those EBU huge books and maps that showed every TV
>transmitter in Europe and their details?
> Brian

I think I've still got some. They're probably buried somewhere in my
junk room along with those Iliffe valve data books, and a box of BBC
and ITV handbooks, and some BATC magazines with designs for things I
never got around to building.

Rod.

MB

Aug 3, 2022, 1:25:29 PM8/3/22
REWIND has the opening of Holme Moss

https://discover.bbcrewind.co.uk/asset/5ff87066ee59ed002755b82d

As well as a couple others about Holme Moss

and

Newsreel: How Television Came to Scotland

https://discover.bbcrewind.co.uk/asset/618d29fee158480022eba24d

charles

Aug 3, 2022, 3:58:49 PM8/3/22
In article <tceb28$2c4aj$1...@dont-email.me>,
and the BBC Scotland continuity announcement "We apologise for the loss of
picturess from England."

Paul Ratcliffe

Aug 4, 2022, 9:01:06 AM8/4/22
On Wed, 03 Aug 2022 20:42:06 +0100, charles <cha...@candehope.me.uk> wrote:

> and the BBC Scotland continuity announcement "We apologise for the loss of
> picturess from England."

Is that a female pictour?