Joe Root's Scoop is THE WORST, STUPIDEST SHOT IN HISTORY OF ENGLISH TEST CRICKET - Scyld Berry

FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

Feb 17, 2024, 6:01:19 AMFeb 17

Joe Root’s latest Bazball shot is the stupidest in English Test cricket
history

Every run India score in their second innings will be a torment to Root,
because he knows that he should still be batting

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/02/17/joe-root-bazball-shot-england-india-third-test-bumrah/

It has to rank - and "rank" is the operative word - as the worst, most
stupid, shot in the history of England's Test cricket. ...

John Hall

Feb 17, 2024, 1:40:27 PMFeb 17
In message <uqq3lt$cbeg$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes
There is some very stiff competition for that title, but it's certainly
well up there.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Mad Hamish

Feb 18, 2024, 5:31:14 AMFeb 18
Dunno, the number of people out lbw sweeping and missing balls on the
stumps surely has to be challenging it for dumbest shot of the match,
never mind history

FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

Feb 18, 2024, 6:22:33 AMFeb 18
Sweeping and missing balls on stumps and getting out LBW can be
attributed to incompetency or lack of skill rather than worst or stupid
shots I guess.

John Hall

Feb 18, 2024, 12:11:17 PMFeb 18
In message <82n3ti5leqoevui62...@4ax.com>, Mad Hamish
<newsunsp...@iinet.unspamme.net.au> writes
It's OK to sweep (or reverse sweep) balls on the stumps in the first
innings, when the bounce is still pretty predictable, not such a good
idea in the second innings.

jack fredricks

Feb 18, 2024, 12:34:40 PMFeb 18
On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 3:11:17 AM UTC+10, John Hall wrote:
> It's OK to sweep (or reverse sweep) balls on the stumps in the first
> innings, when the bounce is still pretty predictable,

Sure, so long as you have been in long enough to know what the bounce is actually doing. Reverse Sweeping your 3rd delivery is batting suicide. (I'm not accusing anyone of doing this).

John Hall

Feb 18, 2024, 2:01:20 PMFeb 18
In message <85c1c2b3-3bf7-48cc...@googlegroups.com>,
jack fredricks <jzfre...@gmail.com> writes
>On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 3:11:170 >> It's OK to sweep (or reverse sweep) balls on the stumps in the first
>> innings, when the bounce is still pretty predictable,
>
>Sure, so long as you have been in long enough to know what the bounce
>is actually doing. Reverse Sweeping your 3rd delivery is batting
>suicide. (I'm not accusing anyone of doing this).

Absolutely.