OT: Google Groups ending support for Usenet

David North

Dec 15, 2023, 8:31:56 AM12/15/23
https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538

"Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google Groups."

The banner at the top of the Google Groups site says 15 Feb, so I don't know which is correct.

I use Google Groups to access uksc in my lunch breaks at work, rather than installing anything on my work PC. Are there any other sites that provide free web-based access to Usenet?

John Hall

Dec 15, 2023, 11:50:37 AM12/15/23
In message <2f73960f-2354-4da8...@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538
>
>"Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to
>Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and
>search for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on
>Google Groups."

That is going to cause problems for an awful lot of people, and could be
another nail in Usenet's coffin. At least it should get rid of most of
the spam that's been around lately.

>The banner at the top of the Google Groups site says 15 Feb, so I don't
>know which is correct.
>
>I use Google Groups to access uksc in my lunch breaks at work, rather
>than installing anything on my work PC. Are there any other sites that
>provide free web-based access to Usenet?

I'd be surprised, as it would require a lot of resources to keep up to
date with its Usenet feed. And competing with Google can't have seemed
very attractive, but now that that is about to change maybe someone will
launch such a site.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

max.it

Dec 15, 2023, 2:35:39 PM12/15/23
I think that years ago Will Luke tried to devise a news / comment type
site but was chased off by media companies.
I could be totally wrong, or there maybe a tiny morsel of my memory
involved.

max.it

Andy Burns

Dec 15, 2023, 2:48:22 PM12/15/23
David North wrote:

> Are there any other sites that provide free web-based access to Usenet?

<https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/thread.php?group=uk.sport.cricket>

miked

Dec 15, 2023, 4:25:26 PM12/15/23
cheers andy

mike

David North

Dec 15, 2023, 4:46:30 PM12/15/23
Thanks - I'll give that a try.

--
David North

John Hall

Dec 15, 2023, 4:50:48 PM12/15/23
In message <ku3os3...@mid.individual.net>, Andy Burns
<use...@andyburns.uk> writes
>David North wrote:
>
>> Are there any other sites that provide free web-based access to Usenet?
>
><https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/thread.php?group=uk.sport.cricket>

That's quite impressive, and I like the lay-out. I'm surprised I hadn't
heard of it before. I see it doesn't have the uk.net.* hierarchy,
though.

Andy Burns

Dec 16, 2023, 3:46:39 AM12/16/23
John Hall wrote:

> Andy Burns writes
>
>> <https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/thread.php?group=uk.sport.cricket>
>
> That's quite impressive, and I like the lay-out. I'm surprised I hadn't
> heard of it before. I see it doesn't have the uk.net.* hierarchy, though.

The owner hangs out it the expected places, and is open to adding
groups, he just didn't want to add every dead group that was never going
to be used.

mike

Dec 21, 2023, 11:24:20 AM12/21/23
how does do you get a group added eg soc.britain.genealogy

mike

John Hall

Dec 21, 2023, 12:05:39 PM12/21/23
In message <128666c0-dc67-4a52...@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Saturday, December 16, 2023 at 8:46:390 >> John Hall wrote:
>>
>> > Andy Burns writes

>> > That's quite impressive, and I like the lay-out. I'm surprised I hadn't
>> > heard of it before. I see it doesn't have the uk.net.* hierarchy, though.
>> The owner hangs out it the expected places, and is open to adding
>> groups, he just didn't want to add every dead group that was never going
>> to be used.
>
>how does do you get a group added eg soc.britain.genealogy
>
>mike

I case Andy doesn't see your post, I'm guessing that if you register an
account on the site (which I imagine will be free) then you'll probably
get access to the dev's email address.

Andy Burns

Dec 21, 2023, 1:13:00 PM12/21/23
John Hall wrote:

> I case Andy doesn't see your post, I'm guessing that if you register an
> account on the site (which I imagine will be free) then you'll probably
> get access to the dev's email address.

Retro Guy seems to reply to messages in e-s.support, and Ray Banana
doesn't seem to object to them being in "his" group ... or you could
just get RG's email from there and contact him off-group.

Mad Hamish

Feb 1, 2024, 3:38:14 AMFeb 1
and in bad news for everybody I've signed up for Eternal September so
you aren't getting rid of me

John Hall

Feb 1, 2024, 4:29:23 AMFeb 1
In message <v1mmrip5assq5o61d...@4ax.com>, Mad Hamish
<newsunsp...@iinet.unspamme.net.au> writes
I'd say that was good news. :) I might not always agree with you, but
you usually present a reasoned argument to back up your claims.