WINDIES WIN!

miked

Jan 28, 2024, 3:50:21 AMJan 28
Windies shock win by 8 runs, their first in oz since 97, yes they did
something england havnt achieved there for 13 years and prob just as
many tests, thanks to Joe the Toe taking 7. I do wish that whatever
wizardry these sporties get in medical attention was made available
to ordinary people cos it took me 4 weeks to recover from a
bruised toe, i couldnt even wear a shoe for nearly 3 weeks.

mike

jack fredricks

Jan 28, 2024, 4:13:53 AMJan 28
On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 6:50:21 PM UTC+10, miked wrote:
> thanks to Joe the Toe taking 7

Shamar Joseph
7/68 off 11.5.
Including 11 overs straight, IIRC. The last 5 balls were after lunch.

David North

Jan 28, 2024, 5:42:24 AMJan 28
On 28/01/2024 08:47, miked wrote:
> Windies shock win by 8 runs, their first in oz since 97, yes they did
> something england havnt achieved there for 13 years and prob just as
> many tests,

Not quite. WI played 17 Tests in Aus between those wins. England have
played 15 since their last win there. Both runs include 2 draws.

--
David North

David North

Jan 28, 2024, 5:52:47 AMJan 28
10 overs before the break and 1.5 after, and 4:28pm is a strange time to
have lunch.

--
David North

jack fredricks

Jan 28, 2024, 6:01:17 AMJan 28
On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 8:52:47 PM UTC+10, David North wrote:
> 10 overs before the break and 1.5 after, and 4:28pm is a strange time to
> have lunch.

Thanks. A fantastic effort, especially considering his damaged toe.

2pm start, and the session was extended as Aus were 8 down.
Just checked, breaks are called Dinner and Tea in a day/night Test match.

David North

Jan 28, 2024, 7:15:05 AMJan 28
On 28/01/2024 08:47, miked wrote:
> Windies shock win by 8 runs, their first in oz since 97

I wonder what the odds were against the Windies/England double.

--
David North

miked

Jan 28, 2024, 10:15:28 AMJan 28
David North wrote:

> On 28/01/2024 08:47, miked wrote:
>> Windies shock win by 8 runs, their first in oz since 97

Oz dont often lose at home do they?
we havnt beat oz at home since 2011, india 2019?
RSA have a very good record in oz i think recently, but what about SL, NZ and Pakistan?
Pretty sure none of the others have won in oz in tests.

> I wonder what the odds were against the Windies/England double.

dunno but i wish i'd had £10 on it.

mike

John Hall

Jan 28, 2024, 12:32:43 PMJan 28
In message <b93e6fe3fc38d525...@www.novabbs.com>, miked
<dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
Congrats to WI and to S. Joseph in particular. Their unexpected win must
be good for the game.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

jack fredricks

Jan 28, 2024, 4:32:48 PMJan 28
On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 10:15:05 PM UTC+10, David North wrote:
> On 28/01/2024 08:47, miked wrote:
> > Windies shock win by 8 runs, their first in oz since 97
> I wonder what the odds were against the Windies/England double.

If someone told me 250:1 I'd not doubt them.

miked

Jan 29, 2024, 12:40:21 PMJan 29
miked wrote:

> David North wrote:

>> On 28/01/2024 08:47, miked wrote:
>>> Windies shock win by 8 runs, their first in oz since 97

> Oz dont often lose at home do they?
> we havnt beat oz at home since 2011, india 2019?
> RSA have a very good record in oz i think recently, but what about SL, NZ and Pakistan?

tried looking this up myself; RSA last won in Oz 2016; think NZ havnt won in oz since 2011
when Doug Bracewell [of all people] demolished oz and NZ won by 7 runs. And pakistan
hasnt won since 1995 and i dont think SL have ever won in oz.

mike

Richard Dixon

Jan 30, 2024, 2:00:59 PMJan 30
In case you've not seen it, this is lovely - Gilchrist genuinely delighted for Lara - and Lara in tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsTjGSnFrI

With the absolutely ridiculous England result and this, one of the great cricketing days. Best format of the game.

Richard

jack fredricks

Jan 30, 2024, 2:53:08 PMJan 30
On Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 5:00:59 AM UTC+10, Richard Dixon wrote:
> With the absolutely ridiculous England result and this, one of the great cricketing days. Best format of the game.

Seeing as no one else is brave enough to answer this question, I'll try my luck here...

Would it be "one of the great cricketing days" if the final wicket was a mankad?