All bets are off

max.it

May 4, 2020, 6:14:40 PM5/4/20

The 100 is cancelled and all player contracts have been terminated.
Counties are cancelling overseas contracts and laying off staff.
Some cautious noises are being made regarding international cricket.
This is crazy stuff happening in our lifetime.

Maybe not all bets are off.
News on the domestic T20 is scarce.
A domestic straight knockout competition (of some kind at short
notice) might be the only show in town this season. If such a
competition was to be held it would maybe be held behind closed doors,
if so it would really need to be on free to view television.

max.it

richsdi...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 4:51:57 AM5/6/20
On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 11:14:40 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:
> The 100 is cancelled and all player contracts have been terminated.
> Counties are cancelling overseas contracts and laying off staff.
> Some cautious noises are being made regarding international cricket.
> This is crazy stuff happening in our lifetime.

And as the death toll mounts because of a mixture of English dim-wittedness with its lovable trait of not to liking being told what to do - and a government floundering from not acting early enough, I suspect all cricket is completely off the cards this summer.

Richard

John Hall

May 6, 2020, 5:23:27 AM5/6/20
In message <a40eef89-27f7-4900...@googlegroups.com>,
richsdi...@gmail.com writes
>And as the death toll mounts because of a mixture of English
>dim-wittedness with its lovable trait of not to liking being told what
>to do

My impression is that the great majority of people have been remarkably
obedient.

> - and a government floundering from not acting early enough, I suspect
>all cricket is completely off the cards this summer.

I think that at least some of the international fixtures will go ahead
from July onwards - behind closed doors of course - at the two grounds
(Old Trafford and the Ageas Bowl) which have hotels on site where the
players and essential staff can stay in a "bio-secure" environment. I
suspect that the government will be supportive of this, as it will help
to raise the public's morale. There probably won't be any county
cricket, though, and perhaps not any club cricket either.
--
John Hall
"It is a very sad thing that nowadays there is so little useless

RH156RH

May 6, 2020, 6:02:20 AM5/6/20
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 10:23:27 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <a40eef89-27f7-4900...@googlegroups.com>,
> richsdi...@gmail.com writes
> >And as the death toll mounts because of a mixture of English
> >dim-wittedness with its lovable trait of not to liking being told what
> >to do
>
> My impression is that the great majority of people have been remarkably
> obedient.

Worryingly so.

The government has begun an experiment on the Isle of Wight with an app which tracks those who have or have had the coronavirus. If successful it will be rolled out UK wide.

The app will trace your movements which is worrying enough, but it will also give a clue to who you are meeting and when and where the meetings take place.
The app has also already be shown to be insecure - see https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/04/revealed-governments-coronavirus-tracing-app-failed-key-tests/

If the app goes nationwide a much greater worry arises, namely, that it could become all too easily a de facto identity card with at first the population being divided in two, between those who load the app having the de facto ID cards being allowed to move more freely about the country and those without the app being restricted by the present lockdown restrictions or even something more restrictive.

The next likely step would be to make using the app compulsory unless people are literally confined to their homes permanently.

Those with the app will have the most potent of identitycards, not only one which says who you are , but one which tells where you have been and who you may have met. A police state dream.
Worryingly, The Health Secretary Mike Hancock has launched the app with the claim that it is everyone's duty to use the app.

The app is not the only worrying government development , viz:
.
" The Coronavirus Act has given the Government powers that are without precedent in peacetime, including the authority to close any building. The lesser known Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations, which are the legal basis for the lockdown, are even more draconian. Their principal stipulations are that "no person may participate in a gathering in a public place of more than two people" and "no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse". The list of "reasonable excuses" is short. " (See below for full article)

All of this needs to be stamped on now because virtually all the apparatus for a police state has been given statutory force by the Government.

Apart from the police state aspects of the technology the impracticality of the system strikes me.

You download the app and go out.

Some hours later the app notifies you that have been in the proximity of someone who has the virus symptoms. The person may not have the symptoms but the app will act on the individual's report. (Trolls putting out false declaration of symptoms will abound.).

You return home and stay isolated for 14 days.

On the 15th day you go out .

A few hours later your app notifies you that you have been near to someone with the virus symptoms.

You remain home and stay isolated for another 14 days.

On the 15th day you leave your home.

You have barely walked a few hundred yards and your app tells you are in the vicinity of someone with the virus symptoms.

You return home to be isolated for another 14 days...
RH

richsdi...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 6:12:12 AM5/6/20
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 11:02:20 AM UTC+1, RH156RH wrote:

> > My impression is that the great majority of people have been remarkably
> > obedient.
>
> Worryingly so.

If you ever needed evidence that asking Robert to stop replying to the resident troll, here it is. Nobody tells a career contrarian what to do.

max.it

May 6, 2020, 6:59:04 AM5/6/20
On Wed, 6 May 2020 01:51:54 -0700 (PDT), richsdi...@gmail.com
wrote:
If you think that Westminster is dim, you don't know Stormont. They
watched the republic lock down and enforce measures to combat the
spread of the disease, while waiting to see what a different island
would do before acting.
It made little difference anyway because the folk here were smart
enough to copy the republic before Stormont was 'told' what to do by
Westminster.

max.it

May 6, 2020, 7:01:54 AM5/6/20
On Wed, 6 May 2020 10:13:51 +0100, John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <a40eef89-27f7-4900...@googlegroups.com>,
>richsdi...@gmail.com writes
>>And as the death toll mounts because of a mixture of English
>>dim-wittedness with its lovable trait of not to liking being told what
>>to do
>
>My impression is that the great majority of people have been remarkably
>obedient.

You haven't seen that video of Birminghan yet then. There must have
been half dozen police vehicles broadcasting to a very large crowd to
disperse - in 6 languages. Having to explain that coloured people can
get the virus after religious leaders had announced it was a white
man's disease. Now the UK coloured communities are hit really hard.

max.it

>> - and a government floundering from not acting early enough, I suspect
>>all cricket is completely off the cards this summer.
>
>I think that at least some of the international fixtures will go ahead
>from July onwards - behind closed doors of course - at the two grounds
>(Old Trafford and the Ageas Bowl) which have hotels on site where the
>players and essential staff can stay in a "bio-secure" environment. I
>suspect that the government will be supportive of this, as it will help
>to raise the public's morale. There probably won't be any county
>cricket, though, and perhaps not any club cricket either.

RH156RH

May 6, 2020, 7:41:14 AM5/6/20
Master Sheeple grabs the police state baton.. RH

richsdi...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 9:39:31 AM5/6/20
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 12:41:14 PM UTC+1, RH156RH wrote:

> > If you ever needed evidence that asking Robert to stop replying to the resident troll, here it is. Nobody tells a career contrarian what to do.
>
> Master Sheeple grabs the police state baton.. RH

Tell you what, you go out on your marches with other low IQ "not in my name" misfits.

Oh look - I've got a new nickname! Can anyone beat that? I've got two now!

RH156RH

May 6, 2020, 9:53:50 AM5/6/20
...and holds onto it for grim death... RH

max.it

May 6, 2020, 10:00:24 AM5/6/20
On Wed, 6 May 2020 06:39:30 -0700 (PDT), richsdi...@gmail.com
wrote:
A brace of pet names you lucky ducker.
I wonder what names Henderson was called at school. He must have went
to some real shithole to learn to behave the way he does.
Unless of course he was educated at home, then it all makes sense, he
will have gone through full idiot training and came through as a fully
fledged spunktrumpet.

RH156RH

May 6, 2020, 10:03:23 AM5/6/20
On Wednesday, May 6, 2020 at 3:00:24 PM UTC+1, max.it wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2020 06:39:30 -0700 (PDT), richsdi...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> >> Master Sheeple grabs the police state baton.. RH
> >
> >Tell you what, you go out on your marches with other low IQ "not in my name" misfits.
> >
> >Oh look - I've got a new nickname! Can anyone beat that? I've got two now!
>
> A brace of pet names you lucky ducker.
> I wonder what names Henderson was called at school. He must have went
> to some real shithole to learn to behave the way he does.
> Unless of course he was educated at home, then it all makes sense, he
> will have gone through full idiot training and came through as a fully
> fledged spunktrumpet.
>
> max.it

More gross vulgarity from Lazarus.
...RH

Brian Lawrence

May 6, 2020, 11:43:40 AM5/6/20
On 06/05/2020 15:00, max.it wrote:
> On Wed, 6 May 2020 06:39:30 -0700 (PDT), richsdi...@gmail.com
> wrote:

>>> Master Sheeple grabs the police state baton.. RH
>>
>> Tell you what, you go out on your marches with other low IQ "not in my name" misfits.
>>
>> Oh look - I've got a new nickname! Can anyone beat that? I've got two now!
>
> A brace of pet names you lucky ducker.
> I wonder what names Henderson was called at school. He must have went
> to some real shithole to learn to behave the way he does.

According to Wiki - St Albans School & Keele Uni.

max.it

May 6, 2020, 12:31:44 PM5/6/20
On Wed, 6 May 2020 16:43:34 +0100, Brian Lawrence
<Brian_W_...@msn.com> wrote:

>On 06/05/2020 15:00, max.it wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 May 2020 06:39:30 -0700 (PDT), richsdi...@gmail.com
>> wrote:

>>> Tell you what, you go out on your marches with other low IQ "not in my name" misfits.
>>>
>>> Oh look - I've got a new nickname! Can anyone beat that? I've got two now!
>>
>> A brace of pet names you lucky ducker.
>> I wonder what names Henderson was called at school. He must have went
>> to some real shithole to learn to behave the way he does.
>
>According to Wiki - St Albans School & Keele Uni.

I suppose every institution has it's failures.

max.it

>> Unless of course he was educated at home, then it all makes sense, he
>> will have gone through full idiot training and came through as a fully
>> fledged spunktrumpet.
>>
>> max.it

Offramp

May 6, 2020, 1:04:21 PM5/6/20
On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 11:02:20 UTC+1, RH156RH wrote:

> Worryingly so.

> The app will trace your movements which is worrying enough

> If the app goes nationwide a much greater worry arises

> Worryingly, The Health Secretary Mike Hancock

> The app is not the only worrying government development , viz:...

Very worrying.