Sig test

Gordon H

May 14, 2013, 5:28:53 PM5/14/13

May 14, 2013, 5:32:23 PM5/14/13
On 14/05/2013 22:28, Gordon H wrote:

May 14, 2013, 11:56:35 PM5/14/13
On 14/05/13 22:28, Gordon H wrote:

May 14, 2013, 11:57:00 PM5/14/13
On 14/05/13 22:32, Gordon H wrote:
> On 14/05/2013 22:28, Gordon H wrote:

May 15, 2013, 3:27:28 AM5/15/13
> On 14/05/2013 22:28, Gordon H wrote:

Gordon H

May 15, 2013, 6:09:54 AM5/15/13
On 15/05/2013 04:57, nev young wrote:
> On 14/05/13 22:32, Gordon H wrote:
>> On 14/05/2013 22:28, Gordon H wrote:
>>
>> Blah blah
>>
> Pass.

Thanks, Big Yun

Demon have dropped Turnpike except for users with universal licenses so
I've been struggling to configure T/B on the new Demon mail platform.

A surprisingly helpful help line lady called Fiona sorted me out, a
lovely English rose with an Asian accent. :-)

She didn't appear to be working to a script, and we discussed the
history of Turnpike at length. I told her how pissed off the users
are, and she kind of agreed that it has been the best email/news client.

Thanks for the feedback.

Gordon H

May 15, 2013, 6:11:18 AM5/15/13
Bon Jour! Ici Il pleut beaucouply.
xx

Gordon H

May 15, 2013, 6:12:17 AM5/15/13
On 15/05/2013 04:56, nev young wrote:
> On 14/05/13 22:28, Gordon H wrote:
>
> <nothing>
>
> Fail

I've always succeeded in failure...
Message has been deleted

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 15, 2013, 8:33:03 AM5/15/13
Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
> nev young wrote:
>> Gordon H wrote:
>>
>> <nothing>
>>
>> Fail
>
> I've always succeeded in failure...

It's nice to have something you are particularly good at.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Nick Leverton

May 15, 2013, 8:44:44 AM5/15/13
In article <51938156$0$2216$426a...@news.free.fr>,
Michele <bondmy...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>"Stuart A. Bronstein" <spam...@lexregia.com> wrote:
>> Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:

>>> I've always succeeded in failure...
>>
>> It's nice to have something you are particularly good at.
>

>Indeed !-;))

Nothing succeds like a toothless budgerigar ...

Nick
Message has been deleted

Andrew Marshall

May 15, 2013, 5:02:05 PM5/15/13
In message <K9Jkt.49303$pv1....@fx04.fr7>, Gordon H
<Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> writes
>Demon have dropped Turnpike except for users with universal licenses so
>I've been struggling to configure T/B on the new Demon mail platform.

I've had the same problem; I've fixed it for the time being by using the
alternative server, plus a Hosts file entry to point to it, thus:-

81.133.136.195 addrauth.server.demon.net

as suggested in the thread 'Re: Turnpike authorisation server' in

I have also kindly been offered a universal site code but am currently
considering whether I can use it without making other changes to TP
(site secret, mainly).

>A surprisingly helpful help line lady called Fiona sorted me out, a
>lovely English rose with an Asian accent. :-)

I'm curious to know what she offered as a solution; was it the
alternative server, or some other fix?

>She didn't appear to be working to a script, and we discussed the
>history of Turnpike at length. I told her how pissed off the users
>are, and she kind of agreed that it has been the best email/news client.

I entirely agree; I was somewhat worried as to what I might replace TP
with should I have to.
--
73,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.

Gordon H

May 17, 2013, 5:39:25 AM5/17/13
On 15/05/2013 22:02, Andrew Marshall wrote:
> In message <K9Jkt.49303$pv1....@fx04.fr7>, Gordon H
> <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> writes
>> Demon have dropped Turnpike except for users with universal licenses
>> so I've been struggling to configure T/B on the new Demon mail platform.
>
> I've had the same problem; I've fixed it for the time being by using the
> alternative server, plus a Hosts file entry to point to it, thus:-
>
> 81.133.136.195 addrauth.server.demon.net
>
> as suggested in the thread 'Re: Turnpike authorisation server' in

Yes, I read that, but it does seem that eventually one will have to move
anyway..

> I have also kindly been offered a universal site code but am currently
> considering whether I can use it without making other changes to TP
> (site secret, mainly).
>
>> A surprisingly helpful help line lady called Fiona sorted me out, a
>> lovely English rose with an Asian accent. :-)
>
> I'm curious to know what she offered as a solution; was it the
> alternative server, or some other fix?

No Andrew, the help was in configuring Thunderbird to the new mail platform.

>> She didn't appear to be working to a script, and we discussed the
>> history of Turnpike at length. I told her how pissed off the users
>> are, and she kind of agreed that it has been the best email/news client.
>
> I entirely agree; I was somewhat worried as to what I might replace TP
> with should I have to.

I'm trying Thunderbird, FTTB.

Gordon H

May 17, 2013, 5:43:43 AM5/17/13
On 15/05/2013 13:33, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
> Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
>> nev young wrote:
>>> Gordon H wrote:
>>>
>>> <nothing>
>>>
>>> Fail
>>
>> I've always succeeded in failure...
>
> It's nice to have something you are particularly good at.

And nice to hear from you, Stu. Sue and I may be in CA later in the
year, Christine's 50th birthday in December, my 80th in November, so we
are meeting halfway, probably August, I'll let you know.

Gordon H

May 17, 2013, 5:44:50 AM5/17/13
On 15/05/2013 13:36, Michele wrote:
> "Stuart A. Bronstein" <spam...@lexregia.com> wrote:
>> Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:

>>> I've always succeeded in failure...
>>
>> It's nice to have something you are particularly good at.
>

> Indeed !-;))

Merci! (Je pense)...

Gordon H

May 17, 2013, 5:46:10 AM5/17/13
On 15/05/2013 13:55, Marc Wilson wrote:
> In uk.singles, (Nick Leverton) wrote in <kmvvvs$sf0$1...@leverton.org>::
>
>> In article <51938156$0$2216$426a...@news.free.fr>,
>> Michele <bondmy...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

>>> Indeed !-;))
>>
>> Nothing succeds like a toothless budgerigar ...
>
> Actually, I gather nothing sucks seeds like a pigeon; it's the only bird
> that really does suck seeds.

I used to have one who . . .
Oh, never mind...

Andrew Marshall

May 17, 2013, 9:27:51 AM5/17/13
In message <iVmlt.63593$jP....@fx12.fr7>, Gordon H
<Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> writes
>On 15/05/2013 22:02, Andrew Marshall wrote:
>> I've had the same problem; I've fixed it for the time being by using the
>> alternative server, plus a Hosts file entry to point to it, thus:-

>> 81.133.136.195 addrauth.server.demon.net

>> as suggested in the thread 'Re: Turnpike authorisation server' in

>Yes, I read that, but it does seem that eventually one will have to
>move anyway..

I hope that TP will remain usable at least in the medium term. I really
don't want to change.

>> I'm curious to know what she offered as a solution; was it the
>> alternative server, or some other fix?

>No Andrew, the help was in configuring Thunderbird to the new mail platform.

Ah, I see. I knew they had officially stopped supporting TP, but I
wondered whether they'd relented and offered a fix - obviously they
haven't. Ah well; if they lose customers as a result, it's their own
fault.

>> I entirely agree; I was somewhat worried as to what I might replace TP
>> with should I have to.

>I'm trying Thunderbird, FTTB.

If I'm forced to change news client, I'll probably consider Thunderbird,
but I would prefer to use an offline reader if there's a decent one
still available.
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gordon H

May 17, 2013, 11:24:21 AM5/17/13
On 17/05/2013 14:52, Marc Wilson wrote:
> In uk.singles, (Andrew Marshall) wrote in
> <+Vi0OWAX...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>::
>
>> In message <iVmlt.63593$jP....@fx12.fr7>, Gordon H
>> <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> writes
>>
>>> No Andrew, the help was in configuring Thunderbird to the new mail platform.
>>
>> Ah, I see. I knew they had officially stopped supporting TP, but I
>> wondered whether they'd relented and offered a fix - obviously they
>> haven't. Ah well; if they lose customers as a result, it's their own
>> fault.
>
> I can't understand why you've persisted with Demon all these years, TBH.
> I ditched them when we moved to Cheshire, and never looked back. Zen
> are *so* much more clueful.
>
> With a lower budget and purely domestic needs, I'd probably go for
> PlusNet.

I'm looking elsewhere too, life seems to be simpler and cheaper.. :-(

Mark Carroll

May 17, 2013, 1:22:45 PM5/17/13
Marc Wilson <E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> writes:

> I can't understand why you've persisted with Demon all these years, TBH.
> I ditched them when we moved to Cheshire, and never looked back. Zen
> are *so* much more clueful.

I'm happily with Zen too. Not the cheapest option, but it's nice having
a static IP I can run servers on.

Mark

David Reid

May 17, 2013, 3:14:19 PM5/17/13
On Fri, 17 May 2013 14:52:38 +0100
Marc Wilson <E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> wrote:

> In uk.singles, (Andrew Marshall) wrote in
> <+Vi0OWAX...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>::
>
> >Ah, I see. I knew they had officially stopped supporting TP, but I
> >wondered whether they'd relented and offered a fix - obviously they
> >haven't. Ah well; if they lose customers as a result, it's their own
> >fault.
>
> I can't understand why you've persisted with Demon all these years,
> TBH. I ditched them when we moved to Cheshire, and never looked
> back. Zen are *so* much more clueful.

I've had several ISPs since I left Demon, it's like energy companies
and insurance, none of them stay the best deal for more than a couple
of years.

> With a lower budget and purely domestic needs, I'd probably go for
> PlusNet.

I'm currently on their £9.99 a month all you can eat tariff, so far it
seems to do exactly what it says on the tin.

--
David Reid Da...@disarray.org.uk http://www.disarray.org.uk
WARNING: This message contains sensitive electrons, do not drop, do not

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mark Carroll

May 17, 2013, 5:21:10 PM5/17/13
Andrew Marshall <g8...@g8bur.demon.co.uk> writes:
(snip)
> If I'm forced to change news client, I'll probably consider Thunderbird,
> but I would prefer to use an offline reader if there's a decent one
> still available.

I'm still using Gnus: given my requirements are offline mail and news
reading, operable in text-only mode without a graphical desktop, I don't
have many alternatives. I'll freely concede that it's not everybody's
cup of tea, though, and the introductory documentation is truly
appalling. Perhaps a friendlier alternative remains extant.

Mark

nev young

May 18, 2013, 2:51:56 AM5/18/13
On 17/05/13 14:27, Andrew Marshall wrote:
> In message <iVmlt.63593$jP....@fx12.fr7>, Gordon H
> <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> writes

>> I'm trying Thunderbird, FTTB.
>
> If I'm forced to change news client, I'll probably consider Thunderbird,
> but I would prefer to use an offline reader if there's a decent one
> still available.

TB _will_ do offline news.

--
nev
getting the wrong stick end since 1953

Gordon H

May 18, 2013, 6:32:32 AM5/18/13
On 17/05/2013 21:50, David Hough wrote:
> Peak airfare time, October would be cheaper.
>
> Dave

Thanks, but..

I have to fit in with my other daughter Sue, who has work commitments
and also the handicap of a spouse since last July. I let her handle
the travel arrangements, she likes to drop into the role of 'looking
after elderly parent'<tm>, especially when it includes a visit to her
sister. ;-)

Andrew Marshall

May 18, 2013, 11:25:07 AM5/18/13
In message <eedcp8th8clh69aqg...@4ax.com>, Marc Wilson
<E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> writes
>In uk.singles, (Andrew Marshall) wrote in
><+Vi0OWAX...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>::
>>In message <iVmlt.63593$jP....@fx12.fr7>, Gordon H
>><Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> writes
>>>I'm trying Thunderbird, FTTB.

>>If I'm forced to change news client, I'll probably consider Thunderbird,
>>but I would prefer to use an offline reader if there's a decent one
>>still available.

>Free Agent?

Thanks; I'll add it to my list-to-consider should I have to leave TP.

Andrew Marshall

May 18, 2013, 11:26:16 AM5/18/13
In message <519638c0$0$2045$426a...@news.free.fr>, Michele
<bondmy...@yahoo.fr> writes
>Marc Wilson <E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> wrote:
>> In uk.singles, (Andrew Marshall) wrote in
>> <+Vi0OWAX...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>::
>>> If I'm forced to change news client, I'll probably consider Thunderbird,
>>> but I would prefer to use an offline reader if there's a decent one
>>> still available.

>> Free Agent?

>MesNews ?(it is free)

Merci; I'll add it to my list...

Andrew Marshall

May 18, 2013, 11:27:30 AM5/18/13
In message <v0hcp8pc00rqht3u4...@4ax.com>, Marc Wilson
<E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> writes
>In uk.singles, (Michele) wrote in
><519638c0$0$2045$426a...@news.free.fr>::
>

>>MesNews ?(it is free)
>
>Looks OK- I prefer Agent, because I like to have mail and news in a
>single application.

Likewise; so for me, Agent would come above Mesnews.

Andrew Marshall

May 18, 2013, 11:41:14 AM5/18/13
In message <i4ii6a-...@llondel.org>, David Hough
<noone$$@llondel.org> writes
>Andrew Marshall wrote:
>> If I'm forced to change news client, I'll probably consider Thunderbird,
>> but I would prefer to use an offline reader if there's a decent one
>> still available.

>On-line newsreader but on a Linux machine running Leafnode? That way it has
>good performance.

I'm not sure that I'd want to make my system any more complicated than
it is, especially if it means running any part of it 24/7, and even more
especially if I need to go through several minutes' worth of startup
procedures before each session.

ATM I have a four-port Netgear DG834 router, two WinXP boxen, and a
laptop running Linux Mint 11. I deliberately eschew all wireless
linking. I haven't even bothered to set up a network via the Ethernet
connections, as I very rarely transfer files between the machines, and
when I do, I use a portable HDD or a USB stick to do it. The HP4L
printer, coming up to 20 years old in July and still printing perfectly,
runs from the parallel port on Box 1 (one of the XP boxen).

I'd need firstly to be forced away from TP, and secondly to be unable to
find a satisfactory substitute for it without setting up a system along
the lines you suggest.

> It's probably possible to run the server on a Raspberry Pi
>with a USB hard disk bolted on. Then you can add an IMAP server too, and
>have a more flexible mail system.

TBH, I don't have enough email traffic to justify setting up anything
complex. A RPi setup would be serious homebrew for me, and would be a
big learning curve. I'd prefer to put the effort into getting my 1.8
Mc/s AM gear running!

Andrew Marshall

May 18, 2013, 11:43:40 AM5/18/13
In message <87fvxli...@ixod.org>, Mark Carroll <mt...@ixod.org>
writes
>I'm still using Gnus: given my requirements are offline mail and news
>reading, operable in text-only mode without a graphical desktop, I don't
>have many alternatives. I'll freely concede that it's not everybody's
>cup of tea, though, and the introductory documentation is truly
>appalling. Perhaps a friendlier alternative remains extant.

I think I'll look at the alternatives available should I have to leave
TP; one of the most important criteria, apart from offline readability,
will be a halfway-decent killfile, approaching as closely as possible to
the excellence of that on TP.

Andrew Marshall

May 18, 2013, 11:45:11 AM5/18/13
In message <kn7870$5jm$1...@dont-email.me>, nev young
<newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On 17/05/13 14:27, Andrew Marshall wrote:
>> If I'm forced to change news client, I'll probably consider Thunderbird,
>> but I would prefer to use an offline reader if there's a decent one
>> still available.

>TB _will_ do offline news.

Ah; in that case, TB jumps several steps up the queue for consideration.
--
73,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gordon H

May 19, 2013, 8:53:43 AM5/19/13
On 18/05/2013 16:41, Andrew Marshall wrote:

> TBH, I don't have enough email traffic to justify setting up anything
> complex.

Ditto here.

I'd prefer to put the effort into getting my 1.8
> Mc/s AM gear running!

Wow! Takes me back to 1963, when I built my first 1.8Mhz chirpy Tx.
My first signal report from 1 mile away was 5/9/3. :-(

Gordon H

May 19, 2013, 8:54:50 AM5/19/13
At first impression, T/Bird is sadly lacking in that area.

Gordon H

May 19, 2013, 8:56:44 AM5/19/13
On 18/05/2013 19:09, Marc Wilson wrote:
> In uk.singles, (Andrew Marshall) wrote in
> <+Nm0IzEH...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>::
> I've not looked at it for a while; last time I did, the news facilities
> were... distressing.

They still are. I haven't got it sorted yet, but it has a habit of
expanding threads when I don't need it.

Gordon H

May 19, 2013, 9:01:25 AM5/19/13
> We stopped taking my father to the US, having twice nearly gotten him killed
> while there.
>
> Dave

Please don't tell my offspring how you managed that...
I 'did my back in' on the last visit when showing my grandson how to
achieve a fast descent of the slide in his local park.

It was two days before we drove the coast road to Cambria to spend three
nights in a luxury hotel, and the two girls gave me much earache.

Peter Hill

May 19, 2013, 6:25:57 PM5/19/13
On 15/05/2013 11:09, Gordon H wrote:
> On 15/05/2013 04:57, nev young wrote:
>> On 14/05/13 22:32, Gordon H wrote:
>>> On 14/05/2013 22:28, Gordon H wrote:
>>>
>>> Blah blah
>>>
>> Pass.
>>
> Thanks, Big Yun
>
> Demon have dropped Turnpike except for users with universal licenses so
> I've been struggling to configure T/B on the new Demon mail platform.

T/B freezes when asked to get News messages. Can't even switch to the
E-mail folders. It's like it's single threaded or something.

When Demon ran their own News server Forte Agent would go grab all new
headers and messages for 10's of groups (~50) at the same time. With
Highwinds we are limited to 2 connections and the tasks get queued. But
that still means it can be doing a get all headers for all subscribed
groups and still do a get message in the group being looked at.

--
Peter Hill
replace nospam with domain host name to reply

nev young

May 20, 2013, 4:13:46 AM5/20/13
You must be doing it wrong. :-)

TB has been well behaved on News and Mail and RSS for me for the last 5
or 6 years. Maybe my killfile requirements are simpler than yours but it
kills what I want to kill and doesn't kill what I don't want killed.

As I did say else froup some of my rules are a bit wordy the worst
having over 39 conditions before a message gets through! Although that
is an email filter not a news filter. The fact that you can add your own
custom header fields in the filters makes them far better than they used
to be. Personally I would like to see some regex in the filters but
they're beyond the understanding of most users.

Paul

May 20, 2013, 6:10:22 AM5/20/13
In article <knclob$7av$1...@dont-email.me>, newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk
says...
> As I did say else froup some of my rules are a bit wordy the worst
> having over 39 conditions before a message gets through! Although that
> is an email filter not a news filter. The fact that you can add your own
> custom header fields in the filters makes them far better than they used
> to be. Personally I would like to see some regex in the filters but
> they're beyond the understanding of most users.

As someone here has many T shirts saying

Stand Back
I know
Regular Expressions

or even

Sarcastic Comment Loading
Please Wait

--
Paul Carpenter | pa...@pcserviceselectronics.co.uk
<http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/> PC Services

Gordon H

May 20, 2013, 7:00:24 AM5/20/13
On 20/05/2013 09:13, nev young wrote:
> On 19/05/13 13:56, Gordon H wrote:
>> On 18/05/2013 19:09, Marc Wilson wrote:
>>> In uk.singles, (Andrew Marshall) wrote in
>>> <+Nm0IzEH...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>::

>>> I've not looked at it for a while; last time I did, the news facilities
>>> were... distressing.
>>>
>> They still are. I haven't got it sorted yet, but it has a habit of
>> expanding threads when I don't need it.
>>
> You must be doing it wrong. :-)

I know! I'm spending too much time reading and posting to study the
facilities / capabilities.

> TB has been well behaved on News and Mail and RSS for me for the last 5
> or 6 years. Maybe my killfile requirements are simpler than yours but it
> kills what I want to kill and doesn't kill what I don't want killed.
>
> As I did say else froup some of my rules are a bit wordy the worst
> having over 39 conditions before a message gets through! Although that
> is an email filter not a news filter. The fact that you can add your own
> custom header fields in the filters makes them far better than they used
> to be. Personally I would like to see some regex in the filters but
> they're beyond the understanding of most users.

I need to look at filtering, but my email traffic is minimal, and I only
need to block certain ng posters.

nev young

May 20, 2013, 10:00:44 AM5/20/13
On 20/05/13 12:00, Gordon H wrote:

> I need to look at filtering, but my email traffic is minimal, and I only
> need to block certain ng posters.

easy;

In filters for <newsgroup name> or <news server>

Apply when "checking mail or manually run"
Match any:
from contains <part of bozo.1 address>
from contains <part of bozo.2 address>
from contains <part of bozo.3 address>
from contains <part of bozo.n address>
ignore subthread.

will kill posts from bozos and any replies to them.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

paul.chr...@cantab.net

May 20, 2013, 11:27:35 AM5/20/13
This is a sort of drive-by posting, but I'd just like to say that I'm astonished to find so many of you still here after all these years!

Hope all is well with all those that remember me.

Paul

Paul

May 20, 2013, 2:04:50 PM5/20/13
In article <ccc629e0-6a90-45ff...@googlegroups.com>,
paul.chr...@cantab.net says...

> This is a sort of drive-by posting, but I'd just like to say that I'm astonished to find so many of you still here after all these years!

Reasons we are here:-

1/ Carer does not understand news readers and how to turn them off

2/ We forgot about the news reader sitting in the corner of the computer

3/ we are still using the same computer because we have reached that
age which means we view computers like cars and they should keep
going for 20 years.

4/ We forgot unsubscribe

5/ We suddenly found this program we have not used for 5 years

6/ What did we come here for ?

7/ Mr Chamberlain is a fine young fellow....

> Hope all is well with all those that remember me.
>
> Paul

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 20, 2013, 2:46:16 PM5/20/13
Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
> Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
>>
>> It's nice to have something you are particularly good at.
>>
> And nice to hear from you, Stu. Sue and I may be in CA later
> in the year, Christine's 50th birthday in December, my 80th in
> November, so we are meeting halfway, probably August, I'll let
> you know.

Please do. I'd love to see the family again.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 20, 2013, 2:47:44 PM5/20/13
David Hough <noone$$@llondel.org> wrote:

> We stopped taking my father to the US, having twice nearly
> gotten him killed while there.

In some families that might make that trip with a parent more likely
rather than less.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 20, 2013, 2:50:37 PM5/20/13
Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
> David Hough wrote:
>>>
>> We stopped taking my father to the US, having twice nearly
>> gotten him killed while there.
>>
> Please don't tell my offspring how you managed that...
> I 'did my back in' on the last visit when showing my grandson
> how to achieve a fast descent of the slide in his local park.

As I recall, after your last trip your daughters thought you might
not do it ever again.

> It was two days before we drove the coast road to Cambria to
> spend three nights in a luxury hotel, and the two girls gave me
> much earache.

You should bring that up with whoever raised them. ;-)

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

nev young

May 20, 2013, 4:32:04 PM5/20/13
On 20/05/13 16:16, Marc Wilson wrote:
> In uk.singles, (nev young) wrote in <knclob$7av$1...@dont-email.me>::
>

>> Personally I would like to see some regex in the filters but
>> they're beyond the understanding of most users.
>
> You have a problem.
> You decide to use Regular Expressions
> Now you have two problems...

<grin>

nev young

May 20, 2013, 4:33:41 PM5/20/13
On 20/05/13 16:27, pa...@christen.demon.co.uk wrote:
> This is a sort of drive-by posting, but I'd just like to say that I'm astonished to find so many of you still here after all these years!
>
> Hope all is well with all those that remember me.

Who are you?

:-)

Gordon H

May 21, 2013, 4:44:50 AM5/21/13
Thanks Nev, that's a starting point...

Gordon H

May 21, 2013, 4:48:28 AM5/21/13
On 20/05/2013 21:33, nev young wrote:
> On 20/05/13 16:27, pa...@christen.demon.co.uk wrote:
>> This is a sort of drive-by posting, but I'd just like to say that I'm
>> astonished to find so many of you still here after all these years!
>>
>> Hope all is well with all those that remember me.
>>
> Who are you?
>
> :-)

I ask myself that question every day, once I've discovered what day it is.

Gordon H

May 21, 2013, 4:51:49 AM5/21/13
On 20/05/2013 19:50, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
> Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
>> David Hough wrote:
>>>>
>>> We stopped taking my father to the US, having twice nearly
>>> gotten him killed while there.
>>>
>> Please don't tell my offspring how you managed that...
>> I 'did my back in' on the last visit when showing my grandson
>> how to achieve a fast descent of the slide in his local park.
>
> As I recall, after your last trip your daughters thought you might
> not do it ever again.

I suspect that there is an element of "we might never see him again"
about this trip. ;-)

>> It was two days before we drove the coast road to Cambria to
>> spend three nights in a luxury hotel, and the two girls gave me
>> much earache.
>
> You should bring that up with whoever raised them. ;-)

It is always a mystery to me how three small people arrived in our house.

Gordon H

May 21, 2013, 4:53:19 AM5/21/13
On 20/05/2013 19:47, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
> David Hough <noone$$@llondel.org> wrote:
>
>> We stopped taking my father to the US, having twice nearly
>> gotten him killed while there.
>
> In some families that might make that trip with a parent more likely
> rather than less.

Not with mine, they are too squeamish.

Gordon H

May 21, 2013, 4:56:11 AM5/21/13
I have a photo somewhere of Alex sitting on your knee; he's 6ft tall and
17 years old now.

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 21, 2013, 10:33:43 AM5/21/13
Since they are all such pleasant and sensible people, I'd guess a
cabbie delivered them to the wrong address.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

nev young

May 21, 2013, 10:36:13 AM5/21/13
On 21/05/13 09:48, Gordon H wrote:
> On 20/05/2013 21:33, nev young wrote:

>> Who are you?
>
> I ask myself that question every day, once I've discovered what day it is.

The man in the bathroom mirror asks me that question every day. I keep
giving him different answers in the hope he'll get fed up and go away.

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 21, 2013, 10:36:39 AM5/21/13
Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
> Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
>>
>> Please do. I'd love to see the family again.
>>
> I have a photo somewhere of Alex sitting on your knee; he's 6ft
> tall and 17 years old now.

Wow! Time flies. It's enough to make me start feeling old.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mark Carroll

May 22, 2013, 3:41:46 AM5/22/13
David Hough <noone$$@llondel.org> writes:

> We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.

It's a nice idea. In the shorter term I'm constrained by a lack of spare
money and usually being far from anywhere fairly central, but don't
count me out in the longer term. (-:

-- Mark

nev young

May 22, 2013, 4:04:39 AM5/22/13
On 22/05/13 07:42, David Hough wrote:

> We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.

This weekend, being the late May bank holiday, would be a good time for
another virtualboink.

Andrew Marshall

May 22, 2013, 4:07:31 AM5/22/13
In message <tv5u6a-...@llondel.org>, David Hough
<noone$$@llondel.org> writes
>We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.

Sounds good to me, as long as it's not too far away.
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.

Nick Leverton

May 22, 2013, 4:34:43 AM5/22/13
In article <tv5u6a-...@llondel.org>,
David Hough <noone$$@llondel.org> wrote:
>Paul wrote:
>>
>> Reasons we are here:-
>>
>> 1/ Carer does not understand news readers and how to turn them off
>>
>> 2/ We forgot about the news reader sitting in the corner of the computer
>>
>> 3/ we are still using the same computer because we have reached that
>> age which means we view computers like cars and they should keep
>> going for 20 years.
>>
>> 4/ We forgot unsubscribe
>>
>> 5/ We suddenly found this program we have not used for 5 years
>>
>> 6/ What did we come here for ?
>>
>> 7/ Mr Chamberlain is a fine young fellow....
>>
>We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.

That would be really good, given a few weeks notice, although after a
long hiatus I seem to have re-acquired some semblance of a life lately
who keeps me a bit busy ...

Nick

Michèle

May 22, 2013, 10:04:20 AM5/22/13
Gordon H avait soumis l'idï¿œe :

>> Who are you?
>>
>> :-)
>>

> I ask myself that question every day, once I've discovered what day it is.

-;))

Stuart A. Bronstein

May 22, 2013, 10:35:23 AM5/22/13

Day-o - http://snipurl.com/273gf64

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Paul

May 22, 2013, 5:08:27 PM5/22/13
In article <knhvv3$nrg$1...@leverton.org>, ni...@leverton.org says...

> In article <tv5u6a-...@llondel.org>,
> David Hough <noone$$@llondel.org> wrote:
> >Paul wrote:
> >>
> >> Reasons we are here:-
> >>
> >> 1/ Carer does not understand news readers and how to turn them off
> >>
> >> 7/ Mr Chamberlain is a fine young fellow....
> >>
> >We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.
>
> That would be really good, given a few weeks notice, although after a
> long hiatus I seem to have re-acquired some semblance of a life lately
> who keeps me a bit busy ...

I keep looking for a life but someone has told me to say I obviously
have the perfect life already....

Paul

May 22, 2013, 5:09:47 PM5/22/13
In article <knhtv3$nbd$1...@dont-email.me>, newsforpa...@yahoo.co.uk
says...

> On 22/05/13 07:42, David Hough wrote:
>
> > We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.
> >
> This weekend, being the late May bank holiday, would be a good time for
> another virtualboink.

Vitual at least, while someone is off at Chelsea Flower Show ...

Sometime get together would be good, who is the organiser of such things
and central(ish)

Not me those who know realise ther is zero parking here !!

Gordon H

May 24, 2013, 11:13:28 AM5/24/13
On 22/05/2013 15:35, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
> Mich�le <maili...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> Gordon H avait soumis l'id�e :

>>> I ask myself that question every day, once I've discovered what
>>> day it is.
>>
>> -;))
>
> Day-o - http://snipurl.com/273gf64

I have one banana in the fruit bowl, so it must be Friday...

I also live next to an elderly lady who calls me every few days and
seriously wants to know the day and date, - and sometimes the time.
:-(

Gordon H

May 24, 2013, 11:21:23 AM5/24/13
On 21/05/2013 15:33, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
> Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
>> Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:

>>> You should bring that up with whoever raised them. ;-)
>>>
>> It is always a mystery to me how three small people arrived in
>> our house.
>
> Since they are all such pleasant and sensible people, I'd guess a
> cabbie delivered them to the wrong address.

No, the correct address...
Yesterday, I got back to my car in a remote Derbyshire village along
with the other nine members of the walking group, and discovered I
couldn't find my keys.

Abandoning my car, I was driven home by one of the chaps, let into my
house by Sue who left work early, then she drove me 25 miles back to my
car with the spare key. Before we drove home I took her in the village
pub and bought us dinner.

I mentioned the loss to the landlady as we ordered drinks, and as we ate
the meal she came over to me and told me that someone had found a set of
keys. Shortly afterwards a man appeared and presented me with them.

You don't get that kind of service in most pubs!

I recommend the Bull's Head in Foolow for an excellent meal and pleasant
atmosphere.

Gordon H

May 24, 2013, 11:22:33 AM5/24/13
On 21/05/2013 15:52, Michele wrote:
> "Stuart A. Bronstein" <spam...@lexregia.com> wrote:
>> Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:

>>> I have a photo somewhere of Alex sitting on your knee; he's 6ft
>>> tall and 17 years old now.
>>
>> Wow! Time flies. It's enough to make me start feeling old.
>
> But you are not old, Stu !
> Que devrais-je dire à mon propos !!;))

Oooh- La la!
Message has been deleted

Stuart Bronstein

May 24, 2013, 9:00:04 PM5/24/13
Michele <bondmy...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
>> Michele wrote:

>>> But you are not old, Stu !
>>> Que devrais-je dire à mon propos !!;))
>>>
>> Oooh- La la!
>
> Vilain !!-;))

Avec ses sabots ?

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Michèle

May 25, 2013, 8:33:47 AM5/25/13
Stuart Bronstein a exposᅵ le 25/05/2013 :

>>> Oooh- La la!
>>
>> Vilain !!-;))
>
> Avec ses sabots ?

I see you know your "classiques" ! -;))

Stuart Bronstein

May 25, 2013, 11:47:08 AM5/25/13
Mich�le <maili...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Stuart Bronstein a expos�:

>>> Vilain !!-;))
>>
>> Avec ses sabots ?
>
> I see you know your "classiques" ! -;))

That's owl. ;-)

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

skelter

Nov 18, 2013, 12:02:54 PM11/18/13
On 5/22/2013 3:34 AM, Nick Leverton wrote:

> That would be really good, given a few weeks notice, although after a
> long hiatus I seem to have re-acquired some semblance of a life lately
> who keeps me a bit busy ...

http://www.jantoo.com/cartoon/01236894

Message has been deleted

paul.chr...@cantab.net

Feb 24, 2015, 9:27:36 AM2/24/15
On Wednesday, 22 May 2013 14:42:36 UTC+8, David Hough wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>
> >> This is a sort of drive-by posting, but I'd just like to say that I'm
> >> astonished to find so many of you still here after all these years!

> We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.
>
> Dave

It would be an "interesting" experience. Presumably we'd invite the first uk.s baby (here in tree-hugging mode, inherited from her mother presumably): https://scontent-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/533856_4237019121863_1008964363_n.jpg?oh=923448ddb1a94699621e2d680f37dc12&oe=5548431D

Stuart A. Bronstein

Feb 24, 2015, 10:18:44 AM2/24/15
"pa...@christen.demon.co.uk" <paul.chr...@cantab.net> wrote:

> I know links are frowned on here, but:
> https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1
> 798453_10203715829514376_792796762557062584_n.jpg?oh=eafc485ab189
> 8ae82b07fd30c50c339b&oe=559641A9&__gda__=1435551520_5d78a7eac4740
> 2731ea1dd9a64829452
>
> The lady on the right is the first uk.s baby.

Wow! Time sure flies.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com
Message has been deleted

nev young

Feb 25, 2015, 3:10:37 AM2/25/15
On 24/02/15 14:23, pa...@christen.demon.co.uk wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 May 2013 14:42:36 UTC+8, David Hough wrote:
>>
>> We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.
>>
>> Dave
>
> That would be interesting indeed.
But can she still say "Oh bugger" with a Yorkshire accent?

Gordon H

Feb 25, 2015, 6:19:03 AM2/25/15
Not sure about that Nev, but she can obviously say "F off" in sign language.

I am mystified about her parentage, perhaps just before I joined uks,
maybe 17 years ago?

Gordon H

Feb 25, 2015, 6:20:06 AM2/25/15
On 24/02/2015 19:54, Marc Wilson wrote:
> In uk.singles, (pa...@christen.demon.co.uk) wrote in
> <3fd8ca18-9484-4502...@googlegroups.com>::
>
>> On Wednesday, 22 May 2013 14:42:36 UTC+8, David Hough wrote:
>>>
>>> We really ought to have a uk.s reunion somewhere. Carers welcome.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> That would be interesting indeed.
>>
>> I know links are frowned on here, but:
>> https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1798453_10203715829514376_792796762557062584_n.jpg?oh=eafc485ab1898ae82b07fd30c50c339b&oe=559641A9&__gda__=1435551520_5d78a7eac47402731ea1dd9a64829452
>>
>> The lady on the right is the first uk.s baby.
>
> I've got one about that size. How old?

Judging by the gesture, above the age of dissent.

Stuart A. Bronstein

Feb 25, 2015, 11:39:44 AM2/25/15
Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:

>>> The lady on the right is the first uk.s baby.
>>>
>> But can she still say "Oh bugger" with a Yorkshire accent?
>>
> Not sure about that Nev, but she can obviously say "F off" in
> sign language.

If she grew up in the USA, that's not what it means here.

> I am mystified about her parentage, perhaps just before I joined
> uks, maybe 17 years ago?

Since we heard about her from Paul, I will guess she's Paul's (she
looks a bit like her mother), and an American lady named Julie.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Gordon H

Feb 25, 2015, 12:00:02 PM2/25/15
I did meet a Julie on my first visit to Fremont with Sue...
I remember grandson Alex enjoying an ice cream with Julie's daughter.
I doubt if I still have the photo, but it would be kewl to find it.

Alex is 18 now, at college, has already written off Mum's old VW at the
second attempt.
I was 67 before I achieved that.

BTW, we dug up some interesting stuff about that guy who threatened me
with libel.

It's connected with various fraud charges, I have several links, but am
reluctant to post them here....

Stuart A. Bronstein

Feb 25, 2015, 11:45:05 PM2/25/15
Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:

>> Since we heard about her from Paul, I will guess she's Paul's
>> (she looks a bit like her mother), and an American lady named
>> Julie.
>>
> I did meet a Julie on my first visit to Fremont with Sue...
> I remember grandson Alex enjoying an ice cream with Julie's
> daughter. I doubt if I still have the photo, but it would be
> kewl to find it.

Was that the lunch at Fresh Choice in Stanford Shopping Center? I
remember that. All three of your kids came from the four (well,
three) corners of the world.

> Alex is 18 now, at college, has already written off Mum's old VW
> at the second attempt.

Wow. Time flies.

> I was 67 before I achieved that.

Alex must just be a bit more creative.

> BTW, we dug up some interesting stuff about that guy who
> threatened me with libel.
>
> It's connected with various fraud charges, I have several links,
> but am reluctant to post them here....

Feel free to write to me directly. I'm curious about what you
found.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com

Gordon H

Feb 26, 2015, 5:06:34 AM2/26/15
On 26/02/2015 04:45, Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
> Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Since we heard about her from Paul, I will guess she's Paul's
>>> (she looks a bit like her mother), and an American lady named
>>> Julie.
>>>
>> I did meet a Julie on my first visit to Fremont with Sue...
>> I remember grandson Alex enjoying an ice cream with Julie's
>> daughter. I doubt if I still have the photo, but it would be
>> kewl to find it.
>
> Was that the lunch at Fresh Choice in Stanford Shopping Center? I
> remember that. All three of your kids came from the four (well,
> three) corners of the world.

ASh yes! That would be when Graham got married somewhere in the
Carribean and Sue and I traveled together.
Then after three trips, she found a man, and married him.
She got the right guy this time.

>> Alex is 18 now, at college, has already written off Mum's old VW
>> at the second attempt.
>
> Wow. Time flies.
>
>> I was 67 before I achieved that.
>
> Alex must just be a bit more creative.

He stuffed it into the back of a parked van. The worst thing was that
it was in his first 12 months, and he had a girl friend with him; she
had to do a runner. ;-)

Christine does accounts for a garage, and handles all their computer
stuff, and the owner rebuilt the Golf for the cost of the parts.

He did the same kind of thing a year or so later, and with his improving
skills, he wrote it off.

>> BTW, we dug up some interesting stuff about that guy who
>> threatened me with libel.
>>
>> It's connected with various fraud charges, I have several links,
>> but am reluctant to post them here....
>
> Feel free to write to me directly. I'm curious about what you
> found.

Replace spamtrap with?

I'll dig out the URLs.

Stuart A. Bronstein

Feb 26, 2015, 10:37:04 AM2/26/15
Gordon H <Gor...@g3snx.demon.co.invalid> wrote:
> Stuart A. Bronstein wrote:
>>
>> Was that the lunch at Fresh Choice in Stanford Shopping Center?
>> I remember that. All three of your kids came from the four
>> (well, three) corners of the world.
>>
> ASh yes! That would be when Graham got married somewhere in the
> Carribean and Sue and I traveled together.
> Then after three trips, she found a man, and married him.
> She got the right guy this time.

That's great! I'm so glad it's working out. He's a very nice guy,
and Sue is teriffic and deserves someone who treats her well. Uh,
are you sure she isn't adopted? ;-)

>> Alex must just be a bit more creative.
>
> He stuffed it into the back of a parked van. The worst thing
> was that it was in his first 12 months, and he had a girl friend
> with him; she had to do a runner. ;-)

You'd think that would teach him a lesson.

> He did the same kind of thing a year or so later, and with his
> improving skills, he wrote it off.

Hopefully that time it made enough of an impact (so to speak) that
he will work harder to avoid doing that again in the future.

>> Feel free to write to me directly. I'm curious about what you
>> found.
>>
> Replace spamtrap with?

That will work, or anything else at that url.

--
Stu
http://DownToEarthLawyer.com
It is loading more messages.