Am I the only single male in Britain?

Stephen Dunn

Sep 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/29/97

Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no! Or is it twice
for yes and once for no? I can never remember.

Hi! I am 3,1straight, work as a welfare benefits worker. I like Science
Fiction, from Blockbusters through to thoughtful and lyrical. I am very new
to the net. And... and... I'll tell you more if you write to me!!!

Martin W M Bryant

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

In article <60qgfp$a...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>, John Wright (j...@isise.rl.ac.uk) writes:
>On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 01:40:20 +0100, in
><199709300...@zetnet.co.uk>, Claire Havlin wrote:
>>In message <60p17b$arv$1...@rockcake.bt.net>

>> "Stephen Dunn" <stephe...@lineone.net> writes:
>>
>>> Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no! Or is it twice
>>> for yes and once for no? I can never remember.
>>
>>Mmm not sure!??
>>
>>> Hi! I am 3,
>>
>>But heck there starting young these days!
>
>Well Kes is only 2 and most men I know fancy her...
>

>--
>John Wright

KES IS THREE now and wont make it to four ,

kes is dead long live 7 of 9>

--
Matin W M Bryant
Times Reader

Claire Havlin

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

In message <60p17b$arv$1...@rockcake.bt.net>
"Stephen Dunn" <stephe...@lineone.net> writes:

> Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no! Or is it twice
> for yes and once for no? I can never remember.

Mmm not sure!??

> Hi! I am 3,

But heck there starting young these days!

Claire :o)

David Curtis

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright) wrote:

>Knock knock.

Who's there?

David
--
Replace the 'ecs' with 'comlab' in the header for main email address
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/sharon.curtis/

Pete Bevin

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

David Curtis writes:
>>Knock knock.
>Who's there?
>David

David who?

Pete (or did I mess up[TM]?)
--
Pete Bevin <mo...@bestiary.com>, quietly taking a leak in the gene pool.
==> Spam welcomed at <ba...@bestiary.com> <==

Martin W M Bryant

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97
fancy shaering my mornig rusk >

CCaseyMora

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright) wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:55:48 +0100, in <60p17b$arv$1...@rockcake.bt.net>,
>Stephen Dunn wrote:
>>Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no!
>

>Knock knock.
>

>--
>John Wright

Who's there?

(Well, somebody had to...)
- - - - -
Colleen in Los Angeles
It's very primitive and definitely under construction, but if you're still
interested:
http://members.aol.com/ccaseymora/index.html

Martin W M Bryant

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

In article <19970930180...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, CCaseyMora (ccase...@aol.com) writes:
> j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright) wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:55:48 +0100, in <60p17b$arv$1...@rockcake.bt.net>,
>>Stephen Dunn wrote:
>>>Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no!
>>
>>Knock knock.
>>

>>--
>>John Wright
>>

>Who's there?

john >

Stuart A. Bronstein

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

John Wright <j...@isise.rl.ac.uk> wrote:
>Stephen Dunn wrote:

>>Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no!
>
>Knock knock.

A friend is one who knocks before he enters rather than after he leaves.

--
Stu

"The good thing about masturbation is that you don't have to dress up for
it."
-Truman Capote

Hob

Sep 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/30/97

Back in the dim, dark and distant past, sha...@ecs.ox.ac.uk (David
Curtis) waffled on about:

>j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright) wrote:
>>
>>Knock knock.
>
>Who's there?

Doctor.

--
Hob.

Short on brains, long on.. well, nothing really.

http://www.cableinet.co.uk/users/andyst - Can you beat Java "Join 4" ??

David Curtis

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

mo...@bestiary.com (Pete Bevin) wrote:

>David Curtis writes:
>>>Knock knock.
>>Who's there?
>>David
>
>David who?

David Eoman

>Pete (or did I mess up[TM]?)

No worries, here's the Jif and cloth.

Nev Young

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

CCaseyMora used up bandwidth on 30 Sep 1997 18:01:19 GMT with

>>Knock knock.
>Who's there?
>

>(Well, somebody had to...)

Frappe Frappe !

Que la

Don

Don que

Eyaw eyaw

--
<Nev Young> <rot13>ariv...@aqverpg.pb.hx</rot13>
veni vici snugli

Stuart A. Bronstein

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

Nev Young <ariv...@aqverpg.pb.hx> wrote:

>Frappe Frappe !
>
>Que la
>
>Don
>
>Don que

Yer velcome.

--
Stu

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.
But I repeat myself.
-- Mark Twain

Simon Brooke

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright) writes:
> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 01:40:20 +0100, in
> <199709300...@zetnet.co.uk>, Claire Havlin wrote:
>>In message <60p17b$arv$1...@rockcake.bt.net>
>> "Stephen Dunn" <stephe...@lineone.net> writes:
>>
>>> Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no! Or is it twice
>>> for yes and once for no? I can never remember.
>>
>>Mmm not sure!??
>>
>>> Hi! I am 3,
>>
>>But heck there starting young these days!
>
> Well Kes is only 2 and most men I know fancy her...

I assume this 'Kes' would be a character represented in a fictional
entertainment on some form of electronic broadcasting apparatus, yes?

Simon (and you may call me m'lud)

--
si...@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon

'graveyards are full of indispensable people'

st...@horrida.demon.co.uk

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:48:21 GMT, h...@cableinet.co.uk (Hob) wrote:

>Back in the dim, dark and distant past, sha...@ecs.ox.ac.uk (David
>Curtis) waffled on about:
>
>>j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright) wrote:
>>>

>>>Knock knock.
>>
>>Who's there?
>

>Doctor.

Livingston, I presume

--
Steve
C H A T C L I E N T S

email st...@horrida.demon.co.uk
....... s...@netcomuk.co.uk

www http://www.horrida.demon.co.uk/stev.html
( dedicated to Shona, Nov `84--Sept `97 )

st...@horrida.demon.co.uk

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 18:50:41 GMT, Brenc...@aol.com (Bob Brenchley)
wrote:

>>kes is dead long live 7 of 9>
>

>7 of 9, no you are talking - just think what the other 8 are like :)
>
>Bob.
The first one is always the best..the rest mere copies..

gx...@dial.pipex.com

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

ariv...@aqverpg.pb.hx (Nev Young) wrote:

>CCaseyMora used up bandwidth on 30 Sep 1997 18:01:19 GMT with

>>>Knock knock.
>>Who's there?
>>
>>(Well, somebody had to...)

>Frappe Frappe !

>Que la

>Don

So! What are you doing there?

Fifi

Don Whybrow

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

"gx...@dial.pipex.com" <gx...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>ariv...@aqverpg.pb.hx (Nev Young) wrote:
>
>>Frappe Frappe !
>
>>Que la
>
>>Don
>
>So! What are you doing there?

By the look of it I am being compared to a donkey, someone must have
looked at the last boink.

--
Don Whybrow

john

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

In article <60p17b$arv$1...@rockcake.bt.net>, Stephen Dunn

<stephe...@lineone.net> writes
>Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no! Or is it twice
>for yes and once for no? I can never remember.
>
>Hi! I am 3,1straight, work as a welfare benefits worker. I like Science
>Fiction, from Blockbusters through to thoughtful and lyrical. I am very new
>to the net. And... and... I'll tell you more if you write to me!!!

Well i am 27 and also a single guy ;( i need a leg over also, so if
any girls see this then lets party!
--
john

NF Stevens

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 09:23:37 GMT, j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright)
wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Sep 1997 20:55:48 +0100, in <60p17b$arv$1...@rockcake.bt.net>,
>Stephen Dunn wrote:

>>Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no!
>

>Knock knock.

I will resist, I will resist.

Norman
Who's th&^%++ [NO CARRIER]

Nhi Vanye

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

$ from sha...@ecs.ox.ac.uk -#149520 | sed "1,$s/^/> /"

>j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright) wrote:
>>
>>Knock knock.
>
>Who's there?

No, who's on first.

>David
>--
> Replace the 'ecs' with 'comlab' in the header for main email address
> http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/sharon.curtis/
> v 3.12 GM/CS d s:++ a-< C++ U+ p L !E W++ N++ o+ K W-- O? M-- V--
> PS? PE? Y PGP- t-- !5 X- R- tv--- b+++ DI+ D- G e++++ h- r z+(--)

vanye.
--
She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;

Lord Byron: "She walks in beauty"

Pete Bevin

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

Simon Brooke writes:
>Simon (and you may call me m'lud)

Why? Are you drunk as one?

Pete.

James Kemp

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

Simon Brooke allegedly added the following to the fount of human
knowledge that is uk.singles on Wed, 1 Oct 1997 at 18:28:23

>In article <60qgfp$a...@newton.cc.rl.ac.uk>,
> j...@isise.rl.ac.uk (John Wright) writes:
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 01:40:20 +0100, in
>> <199709300...@zetnet.co.uk>, Claire Havlin wrote:

>>>But heck there starting young these days!
>>
>> Well Kes is only 2 and most men I know fancy her...
>
>I assume this 'Kes' would be a character represented in a fictional
>entertainment on some form of electronic broadcasting apparatus, yes?
>

>Simon (and you may call me m'lud)

<judge>
I assume that you aer referring to this new-fangled wireless receiving
equipment which I am led to believe allows someone to speak to you from
a long distance away. Very popular with the masses I hear.
</judge>

--
Jas

gx...@dial.pipex.com

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

Don Whybrow <D...@whybrow.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Now, how could you think I would agree with that?!

Fifi

gw0...@swansea.ac.uk

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

On 1997-10-02 nor...@arcady.u-net.com(NFStevens) said:
>I will resist, I will resist.

Resistance is futile.

73, de Toby Fisher: email: gw0...@swansea.ac.uk,
tel:01482-463253; 8 a.m. to midnight.
Nettamer, the best dos-based ppp package around;
visit http://people.delphi.com/davidcolston/ and find out for yourself!

Klipstein's Lament-All warranty and guarantee clauses are voided
by payment of the invoice.

Net-Tamer V 1.10 Beta - Registered

Simon Brooke

Oct 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/6/97

In article <3440d55d...@news.ndirect.co.uk>,

ariv...@aqverpg.pb.hx (Nev Young) writes:
> CCaseyMora used up bandwidth on 30 Sep 1997 18:01:19 GMT with
>
>>>Knock knock.
>>Who's there?
>>
>>(Well, somebody had to...)

> Frappe Frappe !
>
> Que la
>
> Don
>
> Don que

Hotay!

;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

Ariel4UKMs

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

>Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no! Or is it twice
>for yes and once for no? I can never remember.

Har, har... cute--neither can I, and I'm always getting knocked, in this news
group! :-P

>Hi! I am 3,1straight, work as a welfare benefits worker. I like Science
>Fiction, from Blockbusters through to thoughtful and lyrical. I am very new
>to the net. And... and... I'll tell you more if you write to me!!!

Errrmmm... sorry, love... 3'1" is even a little short for me, at 5'1". As
for the welfare benefits, I've often entertained the thought of coming over
and going on the dole... that's what I'll have to do if I can't get a job in
the UK. You could help me a lot there. (If you write to me, BTW, I only get
worse...) :-D
Single... yes, technically... Available? Well... theoretically... Easy?
Complex? Only an engineer might know, for sure...

Martin W M Bryant

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

In article <19971010194...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, Ariel4UKMs (ariel...@aol.com) writes:
>>Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no! Or is it twice
>>for yes and once for no? I can never remember.
>
> Errrmmm... sorry, love... 3'1" is even a little short for me, at 5'1". As
> for the welfare benefits, I've often entertained the thought of coming over
> and going on the dole... that's what I'll have to do if I can't get a job in
> the UK. You could help me a lot there. (If you write to me, BTW, I only get
> worse...) :-D
>Single... yes, technically... Available? Well... theoretically... Easy?
> Complex? Only an engineer might know, for sure...

5f1 god thats tiny even the queen is taller do you were heels >

mousetrap

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

In article <h1LWwPAA...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk>, Paul Duncan
<Pa...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk> rambled:

>I doubt you'd have to do that at the moment. You (in common with others
>who can use UseNet) are at least vaguely computer literate, and there's
>this big problem called "Year 2000" at the moment, and people are in big
>demand to just sift through code looking for time related bits. Borring,
>but you could probably do it. Probably pays better than the dole too :-)

Right-o. I can handle that, and am available from December, where do I
sign up ?
--
mousetrap

"I can see a miracle, and through it all we rise and fall, tear it apart and
stay forever and I know where heaven is, and somewhere in between miracles
happen"

mousetrap

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

In article <47d76dbd...@argonet.co.uk>, Mike Harvey
<mha...@argonet.co.uk> rambled:
>In article <19971010194...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> Ariel4UKMs <ariel...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Single... yes, technically
>
>How can one be 'technically' single?

One is single, divorced or widowed. If one is separated, one is
technically married. But being single doesn't necessarily mean not
spoken for....

>> ... Available? Well... theoretically
>
>Come on, either you are or you aren't.

Somehow, I don't think she is....

Stuart A. Bronstein

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

Dan Glover <d...@dangl.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Mike Harvey <mha...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Ariel4UKMs <ariel...@aol.com> wrote:

>>> Single... yes, technically
>
>>How can one be 'technically' single?
>

>That one's easy: I'm technically "married".

>>> ... Available? Well... theoretically
>
>>Come on, either you are or you aren't.
>

>I think you're meant to take this as "no".

>>> ... Easy? Complex? Only an engineer might know, for sure...
>

>>Well, as an amateur mathematician perhaps I can help here. Is any part of
>>you imaginary?
>
>Nul points for failing to pick up the clue.

But how does his television pick up signals?

--
Stu

"When two people are under the influence of the most violent, most insane,
most delusive, and most transient of passions, they are required to swear
that they will remain in that excited, abnormal, and exhausting condition
continuously until death do them part."

-George Bernard Shaw

Dan Glover

Oct 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/11/97

<mha...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <19971010194...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

> Ariel4UKMs <ariel...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Single... yes, technically

>How can one be 'technically' single?

That one's easy: I'm technically "married".

>> ... Available? Well... theoretically

>Come on, either you are or you aren't.

I think you're meant to take this as "no".

>> ... Easy? Complex? Only an engineer might know, for sure...

>Well, as an amateur mathematician perhaps I can help here. Is any part of
>you imaginary?

Nul points for failing to pick up the clue.

Dan

--
Dan Glover

Paul Duncan

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

In article <Mm3B6HDS...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk>, mousetrap
<mous...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <h1LWwPAA...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk>, Paul Duncan
><Pa...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk> rambled:
>
>>I doubt you'd have to do that at the moment. You (in common with others
>>who can use UseNet) are at least vaguely computer literate, and there's
>>this big problem called "Year 2000" at the moment, and people are in big
>>demand to just sift through code looking for time related bits. Borring,
>>but you could probably do it. Probably pays better than the dole too :-)
>
>Right-o. I can handle that, and am available from December, where do I
>sign up ?
I think if you just contact some of the agencies who advertise in
Computer Weekly, or one of the other trade rags, they should be able to
help :-)
--
Paul Duncan

CCaseyMora

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

>In article <61ojpu$r...@crl6.crl.com>,

> Stuart A. Bronstein <ad...@crl6.crl.com> wrote:
>> But how does his television pick up signals?

It starts out by saying, "Hi there...come here often?"
- - - - -
Colleen in Los Angeles
It's very primitive and definitely under construction, but if you're still
interested:
http://members.aol.com/ccaseymora/index.html

Simon Brooke

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Mike Harvey <mha...@argonet.co.uk> writes:
> In article <19971010194...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> Ariel4UKMs <ariel...@aol.com> wrote:
>> ... Easy? Complex? Only an engineer might know, for sure...
>
> Well, as an amateur mathematician perhaps I can help here. Is any part of
> you imaginary?

Don't you need the imaginary part to calculate the standing wave on an
Ariel? I'm sure at least one of the radio hams around here will know.

Simon, strictly software.

I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

mousetrap

Oct 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/13/97

Paul Duncan <Pa...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk> rambled:
><mous...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk> writes

>>Right-o. I can handle that, and am available from December, where do I
>>sign up ?
>I think if you just contact some of the agencies who advertise in
>Computer Weekly, or one of the other trade rags, they should be able to
>help :-)

I suspect I would need to learn to learn some languages first....
--
mousetrap, who's just started her first night-class tonight and nearly nodded
off....

Steve Way

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

In article <61tf1v$e...@caleddon.jasmine.org.uk>, Simon Brooke <simon@cal
eddon.jasmine.org.uk> writes

>In article <47d76dbd...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Mike Harvey <mha...@argonet.co.uk> writes:
>> In article <19971010194...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
>> Ariel4UKMs <ariel...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> ... Easy? Complex? Only an engineer might know, for sure...
>>
>> Well, as an amateur mathematician perhaps I can help here. Is any part of
>> you imaginary?
>
>Don't you need the imaginary part to calculate the standing wave on an
>Ariel? I'm sure at least one of the radio hams around here will know.
>
>Simon, strictly software.

Fuck art, let's dance

--
Steve, strictly ballroom.

Pete Bevin

Oct 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/14/97

Toby writes:
>Resistance is futile.

Not according to Maplin's.

Paul Duncan

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

In article <876885...@llondel.demon.co.uk>, "Dave {Reply address
in.sig}" <no...@llondel.demon.co.uk> writes
>When you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do, you could
>always get in some morse practice. It isn't really that hard.
I can do morse, just not fast enough :-(
--
Paul Duncan

Paul Kinsler

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

Dave {Reply address in.sig} <no...@llondel.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> When you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do, you could
> always get in some morse practice. It isn't really that hard.

If it isn't getting that hard, then you _definately_
need some more practise.

--
#Paul.
------------------------------+soluble fish+------------------------------

"You people, you do not see the grandeur in the wind and stone and stars,
in the blood and fire and iron - but paint only the flowers."

Stuart A. Bronstein

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

Paul Kinsler <kin...@bloch.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>Dave {Reply address in.sig} <no...@llondel.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>> When you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do, you could
>> always get in some morse practice. It isn't really that hard.
>
>If it isn't getting that hard, then you _definately_
>need some more practise.

And you know that from your vast personal experience?

--
Stu

He saw a Lawyer killing a viper
On a dunghill hard by his own stable;
And the Devil smiled, for it put him in mind
Of Cain and his brother, Abel.

--Samuel Taylor Coleridge, The Devil's Thoughts

to...@cottingham.u-net.com

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

On 1997-10-15 no...@llondel.demon.co.uk said:
>Believe me, when you get to the other side of the 12wpm barrier and
>run your speed up a bit more, 12wpm seems painfully slow.

Seconded.

73, de Toby Fisher: email: to...@cottingham.u-net.com

tel:01482-463253; 8 a.m. to midnight.
Nettamer, the best dos-based ppp package around;

visit http://www.nettamer.net/ and find out for yourself!

Beware the person who has nothing to lose. He always wins

Paul Kinsler

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

Stuart A. Bronstein <ad...@crl2.crl.com> wrote:
> Paul Kinsler <kin...@bloch.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Dave {Reply address in.sig} <no...@llondel.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> When you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do, you could
> >> always get in some morse practice. It isn't really that hard.
> >If it isn't getting that hard, then you _definately_
> >need some more practise.
> And you know that from your vast personal experience?

Practise makes perfect, as they say.

mousetrap

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

In article <47d92f6...@argonet.co.uk>, Dave Stratford
<da...@argonet.co.uk> rambled:
>In article <47d8ed30...@argonet.co.uk>,
> Mike Harvey <mha...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Preferably something ancient such as COBOL. I suspect the agencies have
>> all the C programmers they can handle.
>
>True, tell em you know cobol and you'll be on to a winner for at least the
>next three to five years. Millennium followed by ecu will see to that.

Haven't seen any classes in that......
Anyway, what good's learning a dying language ?
--
mousetrap

Stuart A. Bronstein

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

mousetrap <mous...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Dave Stratford <da...@argonet.co.uk> rambled:

>> Mike Harvey <mha...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Preferably something ancient such as COBOL. I suspect the agencies have
>>> all the C programmers they can handle.
>>
>>True, tell em you know cobol and you'll be on to a winner for at least the
>>next three to five years. Millennium followed by ecu will see to that.
>
>Haven't seen any classes in that......
>Anyway, what good's learning a dying language ?

Because it's not dead enough.

--
Stu

"You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this ... that I really wish I'd
listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

"Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I didn't listen"

-Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Hob

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

Back in the dim, dark and distant past, Mike Harvey
<mha...@argonet.co.uk> waffled on about:

>> I suspect I would need to learn to learn some languages first....
>

>Preferably something ancient such as COBOL. I suspect the agencies have
>all the C programmers they can handle.

This is true; the market is crying out for COBOL people at the moment.

Hob, who happens to be contract and know COBOL

--
Short on brains, long on.. well, nothing really.

http://www.cableinet.co.uk/users/andyst - Can you beat Java "Join 4"
??

Andrew Marshall

Oct 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/15/97

In article <oOfk+GAv3$Q0E...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk>, Paul Duncan
<Pa...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <876885...@llondel.demon.co.uk>, "Dave {Reply address
>in.sig}" <no...@llondel.demon.co.uk> writes

>>When you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do, you could
>>always get in some morse practice. It isn't really that hard.
>I can do morse, just not fast enough :-(

< .- --- .-.. > -- . - --- --- < -..-. .- --- .-.. >

I get stuck at about 8wpm, like many folk in that situation.

73,
Andrew G8BUR.
--
Andrew Marshall.
Unsolicited advertising matter unwelcome. Offenders may be blacklisted.

Nick Leverton

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

In article <3447253c....@news.cableinet.co.uk>

h...@cableinet.co.uk (Hob) writes:

>This is true; the market is crying out for COBOL people at the moment.

Well, the market is crying out for *cheap* COBOL people. I wouldn't get
out of bed for what the agencies are offering. I've still yet to see
the fabled megabuck rates that some people are claiming. If they want
experience, they're going to have to pay for it, same as always. Folk
(not meaning you, Hob) who've just read a book on it, or wrote a program
ten years ago, are not going to dig anyone out of any hole any time much
before the next millennium.

>Hob, who happens to be contract and know COBOL

N, too.
--
Uk.Singles web site: http://www.mimir.com/singles/
Read the FAQ before posting: http://www.mimir.com/singles/faq.html

Don Whybrow

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

mousetrap <mous...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <47d92f6...@argonet.co.uk>, Dave Stratford
><da...@argonet.co.uk> rambled:
>>
>>True, tell em you know cobol and you'll be on to a winner for at least the
>>next three to five years. Millennium followed by ecu will see to that.
>
>Haven't seen any classes in that......
>Anyway, what good's learning a dying language ?

Ahem! If that's the case, why have they been saying that for 20 years
now?

--
Don Whybrow

Paul Duncan

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

In article <47d92f6...@argonet.co.uk>, Dave Stratford
<da...@argonet.co.uk> writes

>True, tell em you know cobol and you'll be on to a winner for at least the
>next three to five years. Millennium followed by ecu will see to that.
Yeah, its very simple. AISTR its just like writing a story.

Once upon a time there was this program. It was called blahblah,
compiled on a VAX8800 to run on an ICL2966 and.... etc etc etc
--
Paul Duncan

Paul Duncan

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

In article <Z9pQBAAZ...@g8bur.demon.co.uk>, Andrew Marshall
<and...@g8bur.demon.co.uk> writes

>< .- --- .-.. > -- . - --- --- < -..-. .- --- .-.. >
A O L M E T O O / A O L

I'm guessing the slash. I know the question mark and full stop, but not
much more punctuation.

73!
--
Paul Duncan, G7KES/VP8CMF.

Paul Duncan

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

In article <qVX423Er...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk>, mousetrap
<mous...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk> writes

>Haven't seen any classes in that......
>Anyway, what good's learning a dying language ?
Simple. There's so much code written in it, that to just start writing
the programs from scratch would be exceedingly expensive. Even if they
decided that they _did_ want to re-write these systems in something
nicer like C (or even use a database like Oracle), they would probably
want to check what exactly the existing programs did. My guess is that
half the specification documents for the original programs have gone
missing. There will definately by demand for COBOL programmers for a
while yet. FORTRAN is still being used heavily in the research community
too.
--
Paul Duncan

Stuart A. Bronstein

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

Hob <h...@cableinet.co.uk> wrote:

>This is true; the market is crying out for COBOL people at the moment.

Nobody's looking for Fortran or Pascal? %-(

--
Stu

Happiness is not having what you want.
It is wanting what you have.

Hob

Oct 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/16/97

Back in the dim, dark and distant past, lev...@warren.demon.co.uk
(Nick Leverton) waffled on about:

>Well, the market is crying out for *cheap* COBOL people. I wouldn't get
>out of bed for what the agencies are offering. I've still yet to see

Oh, I don't know - I'm doing okay.. I think it depends on the agency,
the end company and what platform and stuff you know.

>(not meaning you, Hob) who've just read a book on it, or wrote a program
>ten years ago, are not going to dig anyone out of any hole any time much
>before the next millennium.

*g* You've obviously seen my CV..

I agree; anyone can get a job doing this these days. It's boring,
mundane, and pays the mortgage. Judging by some of the muppets we've
got on contract, they're straight in off the street..

>N, too.

Hob, who knows 370 Assembler, too..

Chris Morgan

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

lev...@warren.demon.co.uk (Nick Leverton) writes:

> In article <3447253c....@news.cableinet.co.uk>
> h...@cableinet.co.uk (Hob) writes:
> >

> >This is true; the market is crying out for COBOL people at the moment.
>

> Well, the market is crying out for *cheap* COBOL people. I wouldn't get
> out of bed for what the agencies are offering.

Things _are_ pretty crazy in the market for C++ programmers at the
moment, as the banks will hire any old idiot with some experience. I
know this for a fact :-)

Chris

--
"everything remotely enjoyable turns out to be
powerfully addictive and expensive and bad for you"

Nick Leverton

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

In article <qVX423Er...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk>
mousetrap <mous...@cheeseshop.demon.co.uk> writes:
><da...@argonet.co.uk> rambled:

>>True, tell em you know cobol and you'll be on to a winner for at least the
>>next three to five years. Millennium followed by ecu will see to that.
>
>Haven't seen any classes in that......
>Anyway, what good's learning a dying language ?

Which dying language would this be ? The vast majority of the world's
commercial applications are still written in COBOL. Not maybe by count
of end-users (millions of lemm^H^H^H^HWindows users count for something
there), but certainly the sheer numbers of sites, programs and
applications in COBOL far outweigh the few C++ companies programming
mass-market stuff. You trot along to comp.lang.cobol and just ask ...

N.

Paul Duncan

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

In article <626a9c$fr$2...@despair.u-net.com>, to...@cottingham.u-net.com
writes
>daadididaa dididaadi didi didaa di,
X F? I A E
>didididaa daadaa didididi daadidaa daadidi,
V M H K D?
>didaadaadaa daadaadi dididi daadidididi didididaadaa,
J G S 6 3
>daadaadididaadaa didaadaadaadaa daadaadaa didi daadidaadi,
,? 1 O I C
>didaadidi didaadaa dididaa daa daadididi,
L W U T? B
>daadaadaadaadaa didaadidaadidaa daadadidi didi daadidaadaa,
0 . Z I Y
>daadaadidaa didaadaadi dididaadi daadidaadaadi didaadi,
Q P F /? R
>daadaadaadaadi didaadidaadi daadididaa daadididi daadidididaa,
9 AR X B pass
>didaadidaadi daadidaa.
AR K

>That concludes the lesson.
Hmmm... I seem to have forgotten lots :-(
--
Paul Duncan

Chris Morgan

Oct 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/17/97

Paul Duncan <Pa...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk> writes:

> half the specification documents for the original programs have gone

-----------------------

Errm, could you explain this - concept please?

Chris Morgan

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

James Kemp <Ja...@jmkemp.demon.co.uk> writes (re spec documents):

> IIRC it's something the customer doesn't understand in the slightest and
> the contractor pretends to ignore completely.

Ok, I think I follow the concept now...

Actually I am of course kidding as my previous company specialised in
producing paperwork, masses of it. Software was an irregular output
they weren't so good at. They successfully produced the spec. for the
HCI (you know, the graphics and that) for our command and control
system for the Navy which was literally about 6 pounds of double sided
a4 output. Nice document. In the meanwhile almost all their
programmers in that area left. I'm sure they know what they're
doing...

Now in my new job it's just the more straightforward "think hard for a
while and then start coding" approach. There must be a middle way (?)

Chris

--
Chris Morgan <mihalis @ ix.netcom.com>

James Kemp

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

Chris Morgan allegedly added the following to the fount of human
knowledge that is uk.singles on Fri, 17 Oct 1997 at 23:08:00

>Paul Duncan <Pa...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> half the specification documents for the original programs have gone
> -----------------------
> |
>Errm, could you explain this - concept please?

IIRC it's something the customer doesn't understand in the slightest and

the contractor pretends to ignore completely.

HTH

--
Jas

to...@cottingham.u-net.com

Oct 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/18/97

On 1997-10-17 Pa...@chaos-hovel.demon.co.uk said:
>>daadididaa dididaadi didi didaa di,
>X F? I A E

Yes

>>didididaa daadaa didididi daadidaa daadidi,
>V M H K D?

Yes

>>didaadaadaa daadaadi dididi daadidididi didididaadaa,
>J G S 6 3

yes

>>daadaadididaadaa didaadaadaadaa daadaadaa didi daadidaadi,

,? >,? 1 O I C

Yes

>didaadidi didaadaa dididaa daa daadididi,
>L W U T? B

Yes

>>daadaadaadaadaa didaadidaadidaa daadadidi didi daadidaadaa,
>0 . Z I Y

Yes

>>daadaadidaa didaadaadi dididaadi daadidaadaadi didaadi,
>Q P F /? R

Yes, but be aware that daadidaadaadi can also be, end of message.

>>daadaadaadaadi didaadidaadi daadididaa daadididi daadidididaa,
>9 AR X B pass

Okay, the one you didn't know was pause.

>>didaadidaadi daadidaa.
>AR K

End of transmission.

>>That concludes the lesson.
>Hmmm... I seem to have forgotten lots :-(

NOt that much, actually.

Keep going, you'll get your brains removed yet, as they'd say on GB3DA.:-)

>--
>Paul Duncan

73, de Toby Fisher: email: to...@cottingham.u-net.com
tel:01482-463253; 8 a.m. to midnight.
Nettamer, the best dos-based ppp package around;
visit http://www.nettamer.net/ and find out for yourself!

After two weeks of dieting, all I lost was two weeks.

Ariel4UKMs

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>In article <19971010194...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> Ariel4UKMs <ariel...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Single... yes, technically
>
>How can one be 'technically' single?
--- ERM... NOT MARRIED

>> ... Available? Well... theoretically
>
>Come on, either you are or you aren't
--- THAT'S WHAT I SAID!!

>> ... Easy? Complex? Only an engineer might know, for sure...
>
>Well, as an amateur mathematician perhaps I can help here. Is any part of
>you imaginary?
>
>Mike H

--- THERE ARE PARTS OF ME THAT ARE ASPIRINGLY IMAGINARY.

AMATEUR MATHEMATICIAN? THAT HAS TO BE IMAGINARY... WHAT COULD BE A WORSE
AVOCATION?

______________
Ariel, who has neither a killfile nor the desire to get one, but who would
love to obtain at least a program line or two that could temporarily STUN...
if not torture and maim, on occasion. =)

Ariel4UKMs

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>In article <47d76dbd...@argonet.co.uk>, Mike Harvey
><mha...@argonet.co.uk> wrote:
>>In article <19971010194...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
>> Ariel4UKMs <ariel...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> Single... yes, technically
>
>>How can one be 'technically' single?
>
>That one's easy: I'm technically "married".
>
>>> ... Available? Well... theoretically
>
>>Come on, either you are or you aren't.
>
>I think you're meant to take this as "no".

Mmmmm... I never say "No" until all avenues are sealed (and the aisles
filled with guests...). <g>

>>> ... Easy? Complex? Only an engineer might know, for sure...
>
>>Well, as an amateur mathematician perhaps I can help here. Is any part of
>>you imaginary?
>

>Nul points for failing to pick up the clue.
>
>Dan
>Dan Glover

-- Way cool for you, Dan. ;-) Big points. Hey, not everyone knows
everybody else's occupation on here. Math guys try...

______________
Ariel, who has no control over changing the contents of these AOL headers, to
her knowledge, in order to prevent archiving these inane responses, and
subsequently forgets to keep varying the signature lines so as not to seem
overly hostile

Ariel4UKMs

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97

>I've often entertained the thought of coming over
>> and going on the dole... that's what I'll have to do if I can't get a job
>in
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> the UK. You could help me a lot there. (If you write to me, BTW, I only
>get
>> worse...) :-D
>I doubt you'd have to do that at the moment. You (in common with others
>who can use UseNet) are at least vaguely computer literate, and there's
>this big problem called "Year 2000" at the moment, and people are in big
>demand to just sift through code looking for time related bits. Borring,
>but you could probably do it. Probably pays better than the dole too :-)
>--
>Paul Duncan

It's not the pay, it's the principle! Anyway, non-EU nationals need to be
telling me that only people outside the EU have the brains to do crap work?
I'll look into it--but I'd hate to think I couldn't make a gadzillion pounds,
eventually, with any of my promising artistic projects, or just as a plain,
fool staff or freelance writer or editor--20,000 quid a year would actually
do. :-)

Ariel4UKMs

Oct 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/19/97